do waypoints operate in the same manner as triggers using list?  i.e. can I use count thisList with a waypoint?  Or do I need use a separate function to get enemy units within the waypoint radius?

As hint by tip in the condition or on activation field of the waypoint:

- this refers to the leader of the group,

- thisList refers to the members of the group

I don't know what you're trying to do but you can work with that for waypoint completion (condition) or when waypoint is completed (on act.). For example, the best way to land an helo at waypoint is a simple "move" waypoint and in on act.:  vehicle this land "land"

I want to be able to use the waypoint to find any enemies within the waypoint radius sort them by type and prioritize them by most dangerous/importance.  i.e. attack heli moves to position when they reach the area it creates a list of enemy units within the waypoint radius sorted by order of danger/importance and targets them by priority.'

i know theres probably already a function/script for this but I'm trying to create my own and want to understand how it's done.

You will have to cope with vanilla FSM anyway. I'll not spend time for that but I can point at some commands:

knowsAbout

nearTargets

Prioritize as you wish... they are so many cases (AT against tank, AA against air, snipers,...). Have fun in scripting.