ZackTactical34

Combat Mission (Realistic Wargaming Sim)

Hey guys, thought I'd give ya'll a great suggestion for authentic wargaming. The series is known as Combat Mission, which has a variety of sims ranging from WWII to the modern era. Here's a great video produced by Hapless: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKeDhPaxBes&ab_channel=UsuallyHapless

Also, here's a great Discord community if you're interested in tactics discussions as well as online matches: 

https://discord.gg/thxS3kruhk

I purchased the old WW2 Combat mission games on GOG. Graphics are very old and outdated but the games are still good. In case you can overlook outdated graphics then it's worth to give them a try and play them .

Cheers

I'm cheap so I'm playing Command Ops 2 which is free on steam.

On 12/22/2020 at 10:11 PM, nettrucker said:

I purchased the old WW2 Combat mission games on GOG

I remember playing demo of one of the original two (either Beyond Overlord or Barbarossa). Good to know those are still available, after all these years I may finally try the full game :D Unfortunately newer games in the series, while looking interesting, are way too costly for me.

20 hours ago, krzychuzokecia said:

Unfortunately newer games in the series, while looking interesting, are way too costly for me.

What do you mean, don't you play Arma 3? Or is the concern monetary and there some sort of subscription service going on or something?

Time constraints maybe?

Simply too expensive for me - base CM: Shock Force 2 costs on Steam roughly what I paid for A3 with all DLCs... during the span of three years. Even on sale it's just too much for me, especially since combat strategy/tactics games like that are often "one and done" for me. A3 was the most expensive game I ever bought, but I knew I will have years of entertainment with it.

Not so much with games like new Combat Mission, Close Combat or Graviteam series - all great games, but at the same time I know that I'm going to get bored with them sooner than later, which makes it hard to justify the price. Especially for Slitherine published games - I noticed Graviteam titles are getting cheaper, even very cheap during sales*, so it seems like I may go ahead and buy them in near future.

*I'm talking about "official" price, I bet you can sometimes find them for almost free on some weird keyshop from Thailand, but it's often pure luck :D

I hear that, similar here. I thought there were some performance/hardware concerns, hence A3 reference.

P.S. ah but you have to tweak the free advertisement link once again friend, there is a release now! :icon_cool:

Ive had some fun with the demos but the whole series is a little pricey and the creators and fanbase a little too hardheaded to suggestions. I suggested they add like a puff of red for blood or anything really and they all told me to basically get lost and go play COD 😄

7 hours ago, froggyluv said:

Ive had some fun with the demos but the whole series is a little pricey and the creators and fanbase a little too hardheaded to suggestions. I suggested they add like a puff of red for blood or anything really and they all told me to basically get lost and go play COD 😄

Hah, yeah that is often the case with niche titles especially. There were times when attitude was pretty similar around here as well but I like to think that reason and good will always prevails eventually.