W0lle

Cold War Rearmed III

You are awesome guys, will wait for campaign then try it 🙂

First off: late congratulations, you're the hero we need, but we don't deserve :D

Second: yesterday me and few of my buddies had some fun with CWR3 in multiplayer, but we had following problems with the missions:

1. For slots higher than number 3, you may get empty briefing and spawn as seagull. Experienced in missions: Hostage Rescue, Lost Squad, Oil War, Seize The Base.

2. In mission Conquerors - being a tank commander with AI driver, you're unable to tell him how to move. You have to switch to driver. (doesn't matter if player is also a group leader)

3. In mission Return to Eden (and that issue will probably manifest in many OFP missions) - player may find himself with no AT weapons left to finish Shilkas, especially if he managed to get spotted by tanks (and took those tanks out). The reason is simple - in OFP M72 LAW was a reloadable weapon with three spare rounds in typical loadout. CWR simulates LAW as a single-use weapon just like it is in real life. I wonder if it's possible to add backpack with spare launcher to LAW soldier, as a way to balance between OFP and A3 take on LAW?

Anyway, I know - it's beta, issues are expected, but I guess you may want to hear those. Good luck!

CWR3 is the best news from Arma3 in this year!

Lets start complaining 🙂

General remark to all missions: you are probably aware of this fact but keep in mind that AI currently is much more aware than earlier. It may impact on whole mission, especially stealth one. Eg. even in CWR2 in "Steal the car" I ususally hide into first buildings without attraction of any attention. Now I couldn't do this other way than by crawling.

"Clean Sweep I":
When I kill all enemies and rest of my squad is dead, HQ refuses to send chopper.
It is OK, but then the last sentence is "I done the job, send this chopper, blah blah blah". End of this sentence is cutted by mission summary. It would be good to add couple of seconds before summary board will appear.

"War Cry"

The same issue with last sentence from HQ like in the "Clean Sweep I".
Also there is a task to hold Mirov. But this task is completed automatically almost immediately. I am not sure if enemy reinforcements
were repelled "by the way" during attack (I attacked Mirov from the hill after cleaning some courtyard in sumptuous estate) or it is a bug. Anyway task appears but after seconds it is completed.

Commander has no binocular. It would be convenient.
Also this mission is little bit too easy. I remember I had problems in original one because often I recieve fire from many directions. This battle is rather calm and I have an impression enemy is overwhelming by my forces. Of course it is only my impression dimmed by time.

"Under the hill"
In original mission I remember stationary MGs were placed nearer to the edge of the hill. Because of this they were more usefull because I had also beach under fire.
In the past backpacks weren't present at all but now it would be convenient to carry missles.
Initial barrage is little bit too small. Originally it was very annoying and some reduction is good idea but it is too big reduction.

I am not sure it is a bug or a feature but enemy squads tend to go to the middle of the attack area (where pines grow) and stop. Only couple of soldiers (three) tried attack my starting position.

Also I killed everyone, destroyed everything and mission doesn't end. Probably some lonely soldier left somwhere. Then proposition: don't count consider enemy presence ==0, but set some small gap =<2 or something like this.

I also played "Clean Sweep" II and III, "Steal the Car" and "Skirmish" but I found nothing there.
Hehe, that was fun.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kromka said:

AI currently is much more aware than earlier.

The mission authors should consider tweaking audibleCoef and camouflageCoef using the setUnitTrait command. Values lower than 1 give players a fighting chance of not being insta-spotted by AI.

player setUnitTrait ["audibleCoef", value];
player setUnitTrait ["camouflageCoef", value];

In the meantime, players can always enable the debug console and give it a try.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kromka said:

"Clean Sweep I":
When I kill all enemies and rest of my squad is dead, HQ refuses to send chopper.

Never had an issue with the helicopter arriving, did you go to the extraction point marked on the map, as when i went there

about couple minutes later chopper was approaching and about to land.

I seen it coming that missions will be a major problem. Or better that AI is (it's always the AI). 

And after the AI, it's usually me screwing up like with the cut off radio transmission.

The fact that the targets (usually Russians) now wear body armor doesn't make the situation any easier. 😀

Noted all of above, and will look into it next year.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Never had an issue with the helicopter arriving, did you go to the extraction point marked on the map, as when i went there

about couple minutes later chopper was approaching and about to land.

This mission has two possible ends.
One is heli pick up you when you have at least one member in your squad and second HQ refuses extraction when you are alone.

@Wolle

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=756113314&amp;searchtext=cold+war

This is the best port of campaign and missions I've played since CWR2. It is really good work (despite it has flaws).

In this port many sneaky missions are ruined by AI awareness.

I don't remember name, but in this port, in campaign, there is a mission where on Kolgujev you back to the island and you have to destroy three Shilkas have been found in previous mission. This is the best example. There is one in active russian base: destroying is possible only with RPG from long range. Otherwise you are dead. I really tried.

I usually play with 0.7 precision and 0.55 skill and AI were really demanding.

Those radio cuttings are minor issues. I just mentioned about them FYI.

I have also one request: please add in MP misisons "CWR3" on the beginning of the title, eg:

[COOP04] CWR3 Some title

It will help find your stuff.

"Revenge"
I think there is too many enemies in second village.
In the first village I always loose 1-2 BMP in second rest because BMPs charge at enemy position and are destroyed quickly.

Also it seems on CUP maps enemy see through the grass. It means I recieve fire even if I can't see anybody (because of grass) but enemy already see me (my silhouette is over the edge of terrain).This region has high grass and because of this close combat is even don't difficult but just annoying. In my case always end of mission was left-alone-then-save-load.

"Bomberman"

Bravo squad is rather useless. I noticed max they do is attacking of Shilka with grenade launcher. I remember in this mission Bravo had some AT weapon.

I am not sure it is proper way but I finished mission only by cleaning the town. Convoy wasn't destroyed (also task wasn't completed).

"Battlefields II"

I met situation Russian soldiers lied on the ground and didn't shoot. They were located directly next to barbwires and sandbags. They ignored everyone (me and US AI) even in close range. Similar situation I met in "Battlefields I"  but scale was smaller (only 1 or 2 soldiers) and I tought it is some exception. It may be some engine problem.

09: Commander

Is this title proper? Additionally as an author there is "by CWR III Modification".

In the mission, far after elimination both officers I see some dialog that some chopper with Russian officers left the island. Just like I still have something to kill. I am not sure is it a feature or is it a bug. Anyway it has no impact on mission.

Commander:

Marker in (076, 080) is "var_attack1 the enemy".

On 12/29/2020 at 3:05 PM, kromka said:

"Bomberman"

Bravo squad is rather useless. I noticed max they do is attacking of Shilka with grenade launcher. I remember in this mission Bravo had some AT weapon.

I am not sure it is proper way but I finished mission only by cleaning the town. Convoy wasn't destroyed (also task wasn't completed).

You did go down to the road when the mission started and place satchels correct?

Then called Bravo in after the convoy was halted from your satchels?

9 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

You did go down to the road when the mission started and place satchels correct?

Then called Bravo in after the convoy was halted from your satchels?

I can place satchels more or less precise. In original mission (OFP one) covering whole convoy was quiet easy. Even something was left, Bravo did the job.

In this case with one load of satchels, from convoy consisted with BMP, T72, Shilka and truck, I destroyed T72, Shilka and truck. This was my best run.
But even with this result Bravo was wiped out with remaining BMP.
This cause objective "destroy" convoy can't be completed because I don't have enough stuff to do it.
Maybe I do something wrong in this version but I tried couple of times and result was always similar.

Maybe blow up what you can, and then head for the village, and send in bravo as a distraction, let them do what they can

and you'll have the other team and you in that village, from there after you cleared it pick up any rpg, AT, and or satchels to finish the remaining convoy off,

that is if they haven't moved on down the road.

2 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Maybe blow up what you can, and then head for the village, and send in bravo as a distraction, let them do what they can

and you'll have the other team and you in that village, from there after you cleared it pick up any rpg, AT, and or satchels to finish the remaining convoy off,

that is if they haven't moved on down the road.

You are right. This is the possible workaround. I tried it.
Mission ends after Charlie clears the village.
Then in fact destroying the conwoy is not necessary to complete the mission. AFAIR it was mandatory, but I may be wrong. It was years ago when I pass this mission even in CWR2.

• Like 2

Destroying the convoy in 'Bomberman' should still be necessary. Least it failed once or twice when I too wasn't able to destroy all of them.

The problem here is, as with most other missions, that things changed a lot in A3. The satchels seems no more that powerful as they were in OFP and A2. The distance between the vehicles is increased too. In previous versions I was able to destroy most of the convoy with 3 satchels, now I have four and it's not enough.

Maybe removing one of the vehicles (T-72)  from the convoy would help, or make it complete wheeled convoy. BTR-60 in front, and instead of Shilka an Ural with ZU-23. Then even Bravo has a chance to achieve something. 😂

I'll fix the glitch in Commander (yes that was the original mission name) and will play around with Bomberman a bit.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, W0lle said:

The distance between the vehicles is increased too.

This, Ya this is what really makes it close to impossible to destroy all the vehicles, you can destroy 3 at most but then it

comes down to bravo to finish the job which so far they end up getting killed first and your left with a couple stray vehicles.

I remember in the OFP mission that there was infantry aboard one of the vehicles, that got out, i recall engaging them from close

to the top of the side of the hill i was on, but bravo did take out one or two vehicles on their own.

Need to play the mission again to determine whats happening, i actually dont recall when i played seeing bravo engage,

although i couldn't see them but in OFP at least where i was at on the hill i seen them move down the hill a little and then launch a couple rockets at the convoy.

On 1/3/2021 at 9:19 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

This, Ya this is what really makes it close to impossible to destroy all the vehicles, you can destroy 3 at most but then it

comes down to bravo to finish the job which so far they end up getting killed first and your left with a couple stray vehicles.

I remember in the OFP mission that there was infantry aboard one of the vehicles, that got out, i recall engaging them from close

to the top of the side of the hill i was on, but bravo did take out one or two vehicles on their own.

Need to play the mission again to determine whats happening, i actually dont recall when i played seeing bravo engage,

although i couldn't see them but in OFP at least where i was at on the hill i seen them move down the hill a little and then launch a couple rockets at the convoy.

Here you have fragment, when shilka recieves hit from LAW.

https://youtu.be/-xtTSGpQNk0?t=179

Then Bravo had some AT weapon as I suspected.

Maybe solution is artificially limit convoy speed? Then gaps will be smaller? Also W0lle idea to modify members of convoy to light ones or even take one vehicle out is good.
Ah, remember about stamina. Couple of missions (like this one) when you have to act quickly may have be little bit tricky because you will have no time to hide.

I think (and W0lle also mentioned it somwhere earlier) many missions just have to be rebalanced and because of engine there is no point to precise copy each of them. It will be painful for creator and benefit will be not so noticable.

Vulcan:
After arrival to Saint Louis goal is completed but mission doesn't end.
I am not sure if it is intentional but I met two specnaz in Sain Louis. Furthermore in original mission there was no need reach Saint Louis (if it is important).

19 hours ago, kromka said:

Maybe solution artificially is limit convoy speed? Then gaps will be smaller?

I've had some success in the past using Tova's Simple Convoy Script in missions. It's not 100% perfect and you may need to play around with it, but the end result is far better than vanilla Arma.

Convoy Attack:
This time convoy came to the action area in couple of waves: 1st was slowly rolled light armoured vehicle, 2nd (about 2 minutes after it) one slowly driving truck, 3rd (another two-three minutes after) three(?) very fast driving trucks and at the very end (after another couple of minutes) UAZ with MG.
Goal was completed after destroying 3rd wave.

Probably this is another problem with consisted convoy.

Ground Attack II:

When I start the engine, first I loose tail rotor. Just, with no reason. After main engine gains full power and I try to start I loose main rotor and AH-64 is broken.

I reproduce it also in eden editor then this seems to be problem of CWR (CUP?) in general not a mission itself.

I noticed power floating rapidly from about 30% to even 250%.

Rat Hole:

Completely unplayable.

My wingman dies in first 5 seconds of approaching the base.

No guided missles makes destroying vulcans almost impossible. Of course I can hovering 1 meter above the ground but then tanks will come and destroy me anyway.

Maybe Vikhir missles are guided but in this case I have no idea how to use them. They just flying next to me instead of doying something even when i have target in front of me.

I tries many times but I have no idea how to deal with those vulcans other than load-luckyShot-save.

Heliport Raid:

The same problem with AH-64 like in Ground Attack II.

2 hours ago, kromka said:

Ground Attack II:

When I start the engine, first I loose tail rotor. Just, with no reason. After main engine gains full power and I try to start I loose main rotor and AH-64 is broken.

I reproduce it also in eden editor then this seems to be problem of CWR (CUP?) in general not a mission itself.

I noticed power floating rapidly from about 30% to even 250%.

Rat Hole:

Completely unplayable.

No guided missles makes destroying vulcans almost impossible. Of course I can hovering 1 meter above the ground but then tanks will come and destroy me anyway.

Maybe Vikhir missles are guided but in this case I have no idea how to use them. They just flying next to me instead of doying something even when i have target in front of me.

I tries many times but I have no idea how to deal with those vulcans other than load-luckyShot-save.

Heliport Raid:

The same problem with AH-64 like in Ground Attack II.

The tail rotor issue is because of Advanced Flight model not being set up for CUP vehicles (as far as I'm aware) - turn it off.

Re Rat Hole: agree on wingman dying quickly - I go into autohover as soon as I can visually see the first Vulcans/units, gain height while using optics to target them. It's a bit of a hacky way of completing the mission. I think adjusting the view distance would fix the mission.

3 hours ago, Callsign said:

The tail rotor issue is because of Advanced Flight model not being set up for CUP vehicles (as far as I'm aware) - turn it off.

Re Rat Hole: agree on wingman dying quickly - I go into autohover as soon as I can visually see the first Vulcans/units, gain height while using optics to target them. It's a bit of a hacky way of completing the mission. I think adjusting the view distance would fix the mission.

You are right. Changing flight model for this chopper works. This suppor seems to be partially implemented, because chinook and apache works properly.

Chinook:

Squad (or part of it) that should be evacuated in second objective won't get aboard. Most of soldiers do it but there are 5 person left despite there is still place in chopper.

Heavy Metal (Russian version):

I destroyed everything except tents and flag pole in the enemy base. Mission wan't to end. Most likely there is hidden enemy or something similar.

8 hours ago, kromka said:

Rat Hole:

Completely unplayable.

Rathole works fine if you dont go charging into an anti-aircraft vehicle filled area like your unfortunate wingman does. Stand off about 1km and use your thermals to observe the Vulcans and snipe them with your Vikhr missiles. I have finished the mission at least twice, but the wingman doesnt stand much chance flying straight into that nest of vulcans.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stagler said:

Rathole works fine if you dont go charging into an anti-aircraft vehicle filled area like your unfortunate wingman does. Stand off about 1km and use your thermals to observe the Vulcans and snipe them with your Vikhr missiles. I have finished the mission at least twice, but the wingman doesnt stand much chance flying straight into that nest of vulcans.

Problem is I don't charge at all. Or rather I tried way with charging and way without.

Maybe problem is I don't know how to use this Vikhr missles?
You said that I should use thermal which i didn't used. But  this chopper cant lock anything. I mean even if target is locked Vikhr fly as they want.
--------

I played rest of the SP misisons. No more problems have been found.
Then now I will stop complain.

On 1/2/2021 at 9:33 PM, W0lle said:

Destroying the convoy in 'Bomberman' should still be necessary. Least it failed once or twice when I too wasn't able to destroy all of them.

The problem here is, as with most other missions, that things changed a lot in A3. The satchels seems no more that powerful as they were in OFP and A2. The distance between the vehicles is increased too. In previous versions I was able to destroy most of the convoy with 3 satchels, now I have four and it's not enough.

Maybe removing one of the vehicles (T-72)  from the convoy would help, or make it complete wheeled convoy. BTR-60 in front, and instead of Shilka an Ural with ZU-23. Then even Bravo has a chance to achieve something. 😂

I'll fix the glitch in Commander (yes that was the original mission name) and will play around with Bomberman a bit.

When I made missions with convoys to be destroyed, I used !canMove instead of !alive.

When a vehicles is out of order, the crew bails out.

That way, you don't need to destroy all the vehicles, neutralizing them is enough - and the convoy is still stopped :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I made good experiences with Tavo's script in the ONP Missions pack.

For those who want to participate, I shared a Google Drive folder where I throw in Missions which should be tested. Bomberman is the first, might add Clean Sweep 2 next with changed AI skill levels.

Tried that mission earlier, only the Shilka came through. Bravo was going after it but I don't know if they got it.

Feedback preferably be PM, so we don't flood this thread with bug reports.

• Like 2