redarmy

Livonia FPS

Is this map running horibly for you l?I can play Altis with120fps on high settings.Livoia im getting 40-50,it seems very unoptimized.Is BIS aware and going to optimize it?

Its a shame i paid for it but have no desire to make mission of ANY type there.

• Confused 1

There is only a very small team maintaining  Arma 3, so no they will not be optimizing Livonia. Heck, I told them over a year ago that there was a lamp post in the middle of a bench, and the last time I checked, it was still there. 

BTW, why is 40-50 fps so unplayable to you that you "have no desire to make mission of ANY type there"?

7 hours ago, stburr91 said:

There is only a very small team maintaining  Arma 3, so no they will not be optimizing Livonia. Heck, I told them over a year ago that there was a lamp post in the middle of a bench, and the last time I checked, it was still there. 

BTW, why is 40-50 fps so unplayable to you that you "have no desire to make mission of ANY type there"?

40-50 without any AI. So naurally if i add anything to the map it will be much worse. I only play my own user created missions in single player BECAUSE i shoot for a certain framerate. If i could maintain 40-50 i would be ok with it but with  units in the scene that 40-50 FPS would turn into 30-40 then AI in combat mode....20-30FPS just as an example. Unplayable.

Screw it im happy enough with the custom buildings from Livonia to place in other maps from CUP.

Use a caching script

4 scripts from my AI compilation list script section.

Spoiler

AI Caching and Distribution SP/MP
by Naught
http://tinyurl.com/q7y8nba
An SQF script designed to dynamically cache and distribute AI units across machines for maximum performance.

Editor based AI script by trigger SP/MP
by Murklor
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26909
This script caches the units placed on the map and spawns them when needed.

Grid Caching System - GCS SP/MP

by anthariel

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/229503-release-grid-caching-system-gcs/

GCS allows the mission maker to automatically cache into the memory AIs and vehicles.

Waypoints assigned to a group or a unit are also cached and are reapplied when the unit or group is set up.

The mission creator, if necessary, can also exclude a unit or a vehicle from the cache so

that the system does not take it into account.

SimpleCachev2 for AISSP (AI Spawn Script Pack) SP/MP
by Na_Palm
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25073
A revisited version of the simpleCache script included in AI Spawn Script Pack which does not require to execute any
controlled militarize and fillHouse script before.

12 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Use a caching script

4 scripts from my AI compilation list script section.

Reveal hidden contents

AI Caching and Distribution SP/MP
by Naught
http://tinyurl.com/q7y8nba
An SQF script designed to dynamically cache and distribute AI units across machines for maximum performance.

Editor based AI script by trigger SP/MP
by Murklor
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26909
This script caches the units placed on the map and spawns them when needed.

Grid Caching System - GCS SP/MP

by anthariel

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/229503-release-grid-caching-system-gcs/

GCS allows the mission maker to automatically cache into the memory AIs and vehicles.

Waypoints assigned to a group or a unit are also cached and are reapplied when the unit or group is set up.

The mission creator, if necessary, can also exclude a unit or a vehicle from the cache so

that the system does not take it into account.

SimpleCachev2 for AISSP (AI Spawn Script Pack) SP/MP
by Na_Palm
http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=25073
A revisited version of the simpleCache script included in AI Spawn Script Pack which does not require to execute any
controlled militarize and fillHouse script before.

Thanks Gunter,but i was referring to units in the actual scene.I dont ever overload my missions too much anyway and only ever have need of the show/hide module which is essentially disabling simulation on units(minus their ability to take damage) and hiding them.

The map is very unoptimised in many areas and unless its directly fixed by BIS i simply have no use for it.I never played any map modded or vanilla where i placed one unit and previewed and dropped below 60 FPS minus the map i was helping to create,Chernarus redux ,and spent alot of time in every area and experienced FPS hits,but even working on that map for a time it was expected that it would need to be optimised. BIS should really have done a better job on it.It doesnt matter how beautiful your map or mission is,if people are going to get shit FPS no one will want to play there.

23 hours ago, stburr91 said:

Heck, I told them over a year ago that there was a lamp post in the middle of a bench, and the last time I checked, it was still there.

Have you created a ticket about it on feedback tracker? That may work if you haven't.

You're idea of optimized is ridiculous. Millions of dollars of talent, and decade of development, and you think an entire team just forgot to hit the magical "optimization" button?.... C'mon man. Think it through.

You can't compare two completely different maps. Apples and oranges. Game design is incredibly complicated and intensely technical.

• Like 3

Sure but they tend to have a ball park performance target and the notion that this map may be a bit underdeveloped compared to others seems entirely possible.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Janez said:

Sure but they tend to have a ball park performance target and the notion that this map may be a bit underdeveloped compared to others seems entirely possible.

Yes there is targets, and apparently BI feels that they meet those goals.

Don't forget that this terrain was also developed for Dayz, and maybe it runs better on that engine, and the Livonia is a compromise between the two game engines.    

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/9/2020 at 8:39 PM, Von Quest said:

You're idea of optimized is ridiculous. Millions of dollars of talent, and decade of development, and you think an entire team just forgot to hit the magical "optimization" button?.... C'mon man. Think it through.

You can't compare two completely different maps. Apples and oranges. Game design is incredibly complicated and intensely technical.

No, your way of looking at it is absurd.The reality is that Livonia is a vanilla terrain.Vanilla assets NEED to have consintency...in quality in terms of models and textures,sounds and what not,AND performance.

When i can set my view distance to 5000 and object distance to 2500 and stand on top of the castle on Altis and overlook Kavala(not looking at the sea) and get well above 60 FPS but then go to an average sized village on Livonia and have 2500 meter view distance and 1500 obj distance and not even get 45 FPS,that is very inconsistent. Consistency is the main reason people play vanilla Arma3 after simply liking the 2035 universe,as is performance.

So you see its not technically me comparing the maps,its comparing the consistency of the detail of said maps.Theres absolutely nothing wrong with BIS designing a detailed terrain but they must give us the ability to reduce settings in a meaningful way.In this case the could have had a "livonia light" version which contained less buildings with interiors,or a few less million trees.

Theres also the issue of the "recommended specs",the recommended specs for Arma3 dont live up to the demand Livonia puts on our system.

Now listen,i paid for the DLC nd even though i dont regret it,as i will always support BIS,i have a rite to voice this abysmal frame rate on an ...il say it once again...EMPTY MAP!.

Go into the editor and "hide" terrain objects,set a zone a couple hundred meters wide and hide all veg,and buildings,youll also notice very little gain this way too.So yeah,perhaps they should have hit the optimize button or at least tickled the bloody thing.

I wish BIS would crank out more maps. I'd buy every pro map they made. You'd think they could drop a new map every several months. I'd be like printing their own money. And I wish they'd put more creativity into them.

You try the Global Mobilization DLC yet? We just tried it this past weekend. Thought I'd be a frame-rate killer at 419 Km2..... It was great. Super high frames for us.

On 12/14/2020 at 11:16 PM, Von Quest said:

I wish BIS would crank out more maps. I'd buy every pro map they made. You'd think they could drop a new map every several months. I'd be like printing their own money. And I wish they'd put more creativity into them.

You try the Global Mobilization DLC yet? We just tried it this past weekend. Thought I'd be a frame-rate killer at 419 Km2..... It was great. Super high frames for us.

I think Tanoa took a very long time to make. Making a new terrain in a few months may not even be possible. Especially a large one.

On 12/14/2020 at 1:03 PM, redarmy said:

Vanilla assets NEED to have consintency...

NEED in capitals is kind of a meme on this site haha. The consistency thing is an interesting aspect of Arma. Even though Arma is a realistic/authentic game with a lot of immersion it is not consistent at all! You see at many different points that the developers push the boundaries of the game, sometimes succeeding and sometimes failing. A couple of examples:

- there is a large quality gap between wheeled and tracked vehicles, because the system they used for the configuration was not meant for tracked vehicles. Tracked vehicles are weird and have a lot of artificial virtual gears added(?) to make them drive a little better.

- as the years advanced the devs used opportunities to increase quality of new assets. The van is a good example of it, this is a very high quality car model with a ton of configuration options and animation features, much more than the older vehicles.

- the Altis buildings have a lot more destructability features, compared to Tanoa. I think with Tanoa they ran out of time and resources to get the buildings up to standard. So if you are planning a mission where you want to blow up a lot of buildings, you should build the mission on Altis
- some of the oldest vehicles are weird and almost experimental, the CSAT gunship is a weird mashup and has an Apache cockpit layout!

- There is lots of recycling from older games! I think the Hellcat is recycled from Arma 2? It looks very basic in quality. A lot of the buildings from from Livonia are very old (Arma 2 buildings I guess), and noticably low quality (the textures especially). For me personally, it is a little bit of a turn off. I feel I get glimpses of OFP and I cry a little 😅 I think the scaling is also off on those buildings.
- they overhauled the lighting system at one point, but only fixed a limited amount of textures to go with the new lighting. This means, at this point, there are a lot of glow-in-the-dark items that are way to bright. Now that I think about it, I feel this is the most regrettable part of Arma I think.. There are many cool objects that I don't use because the textures are too bright.

I think Livonia (and Tanoa) are perhaps meant as 'boundary pushing' maps. Years have gone by, people buy better computers. IMO, it makes sense for the developer to increase the quality to give the game more longevity, instead of 'locking' the quality to 2013 specs.

• Like 2

TBH the best map (in terms of fps and gameplay) is Malden. Some time ago i ask to the devs to use the Livonia assets to rebuild  UTES that is small and better for some MP gameplay, livonia is really bad for any use.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 7:16 AM, Von Quest said:

I"ve been interested in this DLC, hows the map for Alive campaigns?  The DLC campaign has terrible reviews, but I really just want the map and assets for my Alive campaign.

As for Livonia, I love this map, and as long as I'm between 30-40 fps at view distances around 2k, I'm more than happy.  I run an Alive campaign on Livonia and it dips hard in certain towns, but I can live with it.  But, yea, Lythium with 1000 groups and view distances at 5k-7k runs better than Livonia...but I still love the Livonia map.

• Like 1