Sign in to follow this  
Hostilian

Warlords tips - Malden 2035

Just a few pointers to playing Warlords - Malden 2035...

Some also apply to other maps, but you can figure it out.  🙂

1.. Always carry AT.

Always, always carry an Anti Tank weapon. Doesn't matter what it is as long as you carry it. If you're a sniper, at least carry an explosive charge.

2.. Map strategy.

I've seen so many BluFor teams going for Military island and forgetting about the shortest route to their base. By the time Blufor has Military Island, Opfor can already be attacking Arudy - and it's only 2 hops to Blufor base from there (and game over).

As Blufor, you've either got to go for the direct route to OpFor's base OR ensure you have enough captured sectors on the shortest route to Opfor's base befpore going for Mil Island. At least capture Arudy before heading to Mil Island and WATCH OPFOR..

I blame a poor map layout for this one. Blufor's base should be on or near the South coast. It also doesn't help that Opfor have their own airfield within a few hops and Blufor have nothing except Mil Island's choppers.

As Opfor, don't go for Mil Base first as it's too easy to get pinned down by APCs. Radio Tower first, so you have enough cash (and a good position to fire from). Radio tower is a good location to get both Mil Base and Airport from. Whooosh Boom..

It's 'mostly' a daft idea to choose a sector for attack that you've already previously captured and can simply drive to capture it instead. Exceptions are if you've no choice or it's very important to get it quickly.

3.. Use the Arsenal when you can afford it.

Use the arsenal to customise your loadout and camo.

When you die, use the menu option to recover your last loadout (from base or any captured town) as soon as you respawn. This will save you having to repurchase your equipment.
Oh and if you go back to where you died, rearm from your body - if it's safe.

4.. Don't use tanks too early (unless you're just up against the AI and disable/repair a Gorgon/Mora etc).

Tanks (and especially APCs) are simply too easy to kill in this game. Save your cash when in contact with human opposition - until your team is ahead.

Use AT to take out any enemy that is daft enough to buy it early game. Of course, if the AI buys some Armor and leaves it sitting there, feel free!  😉

Watch out for Snipers and AT campers on the top of mountains. Thermal vision helps with that..

The exception to early purchases, IMHO, are the HMG Hunter/Ifrit. They're relatively cheap, FAST and maneuverable and can quickly take towns. Yes, they're vulnerable to all AT, but stay off the main roads (in contested sectors - and use trees for cover) and your survivability will improve.

5.. Choppers are too easy to kill.

I've lost count of my chopper kills - even ones I've killed after I've died.

Save your money (unless you know what you're doing). Planes have better survivability - but only Opfor gets them (at least early game).

If Opfor is raping you with planes, wait near their airport for the inevitable rearm and Boom..

I'll let you work out what NOT to do when flying a chopper..  😉

6..  Defend the choke points.

'Arudy' (not really a choke point) and especially 'St Louis' are Blufor and Opfor's most important towns (with the current daft layout anyway). Defend them!

If Opfor defends St Louis (and keeps doing so), Blufor simply can't win.

Blufor doesn't have a sector that protects their base, and connected sectors, in this way. The closest is Arudy, but Opfor can bypass it and get to BluFor base via the South coast.

7.. Use defenses, mines etc.

Automated defenses - whilst a bit less useful since you can no longer put them inside buildings - can still help defend sectors. MG tripods (make sure you assign an AI) do too..

8.. Know how to play Arma3 and read the Warlords guide..

Should go without saying but it helps if you know how to play AND know the controls and rules of Warlords.

You should know how to control AI and order them around (they can even capture sectors for you) and especially how to get them to crew for you. The single player campaign should help.

Know where you can purchase vehicles from (any captured sector); you don't need to purchase and drive all the way from your base.

Also, use 'fast travel', it will save you a lot of walking. It can even get you out of bother, assuming the enemy isn't too close to stop it.

I'm sure there are plenty more, but there are off the top of my head!  🙂