Sign in to follow this  
pcc

AI tanks rolling backwards during pathfinding

This problem is amplified on slopped terrain as the tank will roll back until it's stopped by an object.

As a result AI tracked vehicles tend to up stuck at the bottom of ravines on stratis. 

It's frustrating that the problem still persists without official fix. 

Are there any fixes via configs or scripting? 

• Like 1

There is (almost) no official development of the game anymore, so the far-from-great tank movement is what it is. The issues are also way too deep for scripting/config. What the hell are you doing with the tanks in ravines on Stratis, that is way too difficult for the tanks. I recommend moving tanks only by attaching them to trailers and driving them around with trucks on the road network 😉

Tanks have always been DOA in Arma games and Arma 3 is the worst to date.

On 11/27/2020 at 3:44 AM, pcc said:

This problem is amplified on slopped terrain as the tank will roll back until it's stopped by an object.

Part of the trick to driving a tank, and i had plenty of it back in RO, obviously not the same game but the concept still applies

is as you do when your on foot at least i do is you dont drive straight up the side of a hill if thats what your doing,

the laws of physics say you will be slow, as your fighting gravity and the weight of the tank, and also vulnerable because your ability to defend

is limited.

So what do you do, is you drive the tank up on angles, as if your climbing a stair up the side of a moutain, you not only will gain more traction

but you will have some decent speed and not fight gravity so much, going straight up imo is asking to lose traction and end up ass first in the bottom of the ravine

its a matter of tactics, surely there is a bug somewhere with the physics related to tanks but the proper and best tactic ideally is to just use a road.

The path chosen is the difference between being suprised and unable to counter while moving to a location for an ambush, recon or even an attack.

Driving in a situation where the tank is vulnerable like up a mountain or large hill imo is a no no, seek the level path that allows you to pass and escape on a hill

even then once you get to the top of a hill.

Another rule comes into play is to never crest a hill alone, and if you are then avoid it, always come up around the slope,

sillouetting yourself as a tank is much easier then as an infantry because your larger, the path chosen is one then ables you to escape, being detected

can decide whether you live or die, that comes down to what objects, or terrain are you on where you can either move, or go hull or turrent down.

If you can do neither then your best bet is to get behind some solid cover, but a tank that cant move, or is slow is vulnerable, recon, and choose the best path for

the approach, practice as if there is an enemy somewhere engrain the habit of proper tactics and you cant fail.

13 hours ago, pulstar said:

Tanks have always been DOA in Arma games and Arma 3 is the worst to date.

Then ... stop using them, or change your tactics, this is arma not a tank simulator just saying, complaining doesn't change the fact

how you approach if you decide to use tanks is another matter, make due with what you have, efficiency is anything that scores, looking for perfection in something

not designed for it will only yield some face palming 😄

On 12/10/2020 at 7:42 AM, Gunter Severloh said:

Part of the trick to driving a tank, and i had plenty of it back in RO, obviously not the same game but the concept still applies

is as you do when your on foot at least i do is you dont drive straight up the side of a hill if thats what your doing,

the laws of physics say you will be slow, as your fighting gravity and the weight of the tank, and also vulnerable because your ability to defend

is limited.

So what do you do, is you drive the tank up on angles, as if your climbing a stair up the side of a moutain, you not only will gain more traction

but you will have some decent speed and not fight gravity so much, going straight up imo is asking to lose traction and end up ass first in the bottom of the ravine

its a matter of tactics, surely there is a bug somewhere with the physics related to tanks but the proper and best tactic ideally is to just use a road.

The path chosen is the difference between being suprised and unable to counter while moving to a location for an ambush, recon or even an attack.

Driving in a situation where the tank is vulnerable like up a mountain or large hill imo is a no no, seek the level path that allows you to pass and escape on a hill

even then once you get to the top of a hill.

Another rule comes into play is to never crest a hill alone, and if you are then avoid it, always come up around the slope,

sillouetting yourself as a tank is much easier then as an infantry because your larger, the path chosen is one then ables you to escape, being detected

can decide whether you live or die, that comes down to what objects, or terrain are you on where you can either move, or go hull or turrent down.

If you can do neither then your best bet is to get behind some solid cover, but a tank that cant move, or is slow is vulnerable, recon, and choose the best path for

the approach, practice as if there is an enemy somewhere engrain the habit of proper tactics and you cant fail.

Then ... stop using them, or change your tactics, this is arma not a tank simulator just saying, complaining doesn't change the fact

how you approach if you decide to use tanks is another matter, make due with what you have, efficiency is anything that scores, looking for perfection in something

not designed for it will only yield some face palming 😄

There's no problem when player is driving the tank.  It's the AI.   If you spectate the AI crew tanks, you can see that they sometimes will do a right and left reverse when commanders orders it to new waypoint.  It's a short reverse when terrain is flat, but on slopes, the tank will roll backwards and the AI will get stuck in reverse state until the tank hits somethings. 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2020 at 11:37 AM, joostsidy said:

There is (almost) no official development of the game anymore, so the far-from-great tank movement is what it is. The issues are also way too deep for scripting/config. What the hell are you doing with the tanks in ravines on Stratis, that is way too difficult for the tanks. I recommend moving tanks only by attaching them to trailers and driving them around with trucks on the road network 😉

It's the AI reversing the tanks into them.  No problem with player controlled tanks, actually its great.

11 hours ago, pcc said:

There's no problem when player is driving the tank.  It's the AI.   If you spectate the AI crew tanks, you can see that they sometimes will do a right and left reverse when commanders orders it to new waypoint.  It's a short reverse when terrain is flat, but on slopes, the tank will roll backwards and the AI will get stuck in reverse state until the tank hits somethings. 

Ya AI driving always has been a hit or miss, well let what i said be some good pointers for those player drivers then, imagine if the AI

drove properly and used tank driving tactics in response to you, positioning as in hull down, turrent down, cutting the terrain with rds

ambush, camoufladge tactics, that would be something to talk about.

On 12/11/2020 at 11:41 PM, pcc said:

Agree, I first noticed this messing around in the editor.  I had to do a double-take.  A stuck AI vehicle was actually moving almost imperceptibly backwards.  On a whim, I wheeled my vehicle around to the back of his and (ages later) the moment that AI finally finished backing into my vehic (his vehic touched mine which completely stopped his), wallah he was instantly free!

So now I have automatic countermeasure in my mission for when vehicles start doing this slow-reverse thing & would otherwise simply be stuck.

Btw - This slow-backing problem (as far as I could ever tell) was not present when A3 released.  Seems they mucked something up along the way.  Also in my experience it happens with wheeled vehicles too (not just tanks).  I know A3 dev has basically halted, but... Seems like an easy fix perhaps?

Yes i have seen this on tracked vehicles alot lately especially NATO panther. BIS did break something recently. Hopeully they see it on the tracker

Has there ever been a fix or is this entirely here to stay?Creating a mission and the vehicles cannot even make it up on a road in some instances on BIS maps. This is greatly amplified when giving a tracked vehicle a Gaurd WP as it by nature stops the vehicle every 50 or so meters(not sure why) but once vehicle has stopped,it starts to roll back downhill.

Extremely annoying and a whole new level of bad AI driving.I can understand complicated pathfinding issues in complex terrain but WHY are driver AI deliberatly reversing down slopes/cant power up them.

I dont care how long the game is out BIS you need to address this its really shoddy work to ignore it for so long as this wasnt always an issue,something,somehwere in an update caused this.Please clean up this issue.