Ex3B

Vanilla Counter-battery Operations

I've got a simple vanilla gamplay question: 

If there is an enemy artillery unit (sochor, Sandstorm, mk45 hammer) firing on a group of players, what  is the best vanilla way to locate the firing unit?

On a map like altis or Weferlingen, an artillery unit firing on you could be virtually anywhere on the map, that is a lot of area to try to identify it visually.

Will it show up at 100% detection range on an IR sensor if the engine is off, just due to heat from firing? If so at least a CAS jet like the Wipeout/Neophron with an IR sensor range of 4km against ground target could detect it?

Otherwise, would the Shikra and Blakc wasp be best suited to the task, trying to locate the artillery while using active radar?

Is there anyway to determine at least the direction that should be searched?

That's the issue with arty and mortars'., you don't know where they are being fired from very easily.   They shoot, then move a lot of times as well.  There is radar that is used for such things, forget the name, but there is a model of it in RHS or CUP.  Although you'd have to script it to be functional.

Good day!

DrDetroit

So, I guess that the answer is: no, not without scripting.

So then do you know of any scripts readily available that can reveal the firing position of enemy artillery if the shell lands within X meters of unit types A,B, or C, for example.

Like a script that just places a marker on the map if a shell lands close (a few kn) of a recon nyx with its radar on/ a tigris or cheetah with radar on/ a SAM radar... and so on?

I cant see any balanced way to give artillery to a side if they can always fire without even a hint if where it comes from

On 12/26/2020 at 7:26 PM, Ex3B said:

So, I guess that the answer is: no, not without scripting.

So then do you know of any scripts readily available that can reveal the firing position of enemy artillery if the shell lands within X meters of unit types A,B, or C, for example.

Like a script that just places a marker on the map if a shell lands close (a few kn) of a recon nyx with its radar on/ a tigris or cheetah with radar on/ a SAM radar... and so on?

I cant see any balanced way to give artillery to a side if they can always fire without even a hint if where it comes from

Possibly a bit "necro" (last post on this thread was from late 2020), but I think "ITC Land Systems" might be what you are looking for. That mod has counter-battery features, and potentially allows you to identify where the enemy artillery is coming from (and even intercept incoming artillery shells)