zagor64bz

[SOLVED] Progress-bar style loading screen: how?

Ok..here we go again.

Is it possible to make an old-style progress-bar loading screen to be used as an intro in a mission?

The map (Altis) needs some time to load all the spawned units and now if you start moving after the opening shot is quite laggy. Everything seam to settle down once everything is spawned and the caching script puts away what is not need right away. So I thought to "cheat" the player by having a black screen with a "fake" progress-bar to gain that little needed extra-time.

Is this possible?

Thanks to anyone willing to help..

something like this..LOL..

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, beno_83au said:

Perhaps https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/startLoadingScreen? Just be sure to read the notes, there's some literal game stoppers in there. 

Yap..that's a good place to start...hopefully (hahahahaha...who I'm kidding..this is ArmA after all) it won't be too complicated.😋

EDIT: One more question...the establishing shot..could that be prevented to be skipped for a certain amount of time?

The show video for the loading bar is possible. You just have to play a video with a trigger. Have not got the code right now but if you need it I should be able to access it. The code is simple and based on this:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_playVideo

also the video cannot be skipped. Be careful however because while the video plays the players exist or they don't if you use tricks.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JohnKalo said:

The show video for the loading bar is possible. You just have to play a video with a trigger. Have not got the code right now but if you need it I should be able to access it. The code is simple and based on this:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_playVideo

also the video cannot be skipped. Be careful however because while the video plays the players exist or they don't if you use tricks.

Awesome...

it's even better if the player "exist"; so while the video is playing the map will load, right?

From what I could understand from this command: startLoadingScreen or this BIS_fnc_startLoadingScreen the loading of the mission will not start until it's done, correct?

I remember in the past, playing videos was a bit unreliable, quality-wise...I guess given the right format (ogv) is now not a problem? 

Thank you anyway for your reply!

SOLVED:

Thanks to @Merlijn at the Arma 3 discord, I got this working with:

0 fadeSound 0;//mute game sound
playMusic "intro";// play dramatic intro music
 _handle = ["Videos\loadin-bar_text.ogv"] spawn BIS_fnc_playVideo;//start video
waitUntil {scriptDone _handle};//wait for video to finish
null = [] execVM "Scripts\StoryBoard.sqf";//launch opening shots/mission
0 fadeSound 1;//restore game sound

A short video will follow to demonstrate...

EDIT 2:

• Like 1