The Real Bunc

[RELEASE] Deadly Drone ( AI/Manual Greyhawk) V1.0

I was finding the Greyhawk too unresponsive in its vanilla settings so I have created the following script which turns the Greyhawk equipped with Scalpel missiles into a really deadly drone that can be put into three distinct modes.

I've tested this script extensively and you should find it quite robust. Warning - in AUTO mode this will kill enemy vehicles across an area of well over a kilometer.

Spoiler

/* realBunc's DEADLY DRONE (Greyhawk)V1 */
/*
This script is free to use as you wish but please give me credit and link back to this Forum post. Thanks.
*/

params ["_drone","_rearmDelay","_weapon","_info"];

_drone setVariable ["Mode","STANDBY"];

while {alive _drone} do 
{
           if (_drone ammo _weapon == 0) then
               {
                 if (_info == "true") then {hint "Rearming...Wait";};
                 sleep _rearmDelay;
                 _drone setvehicleAmmo 1;
                };

if (_drone getVariable "Mode" == "AUTO") then
            {
                 if (_info == "true") then {hint "Auto Target On";};
                 sleep 3;
                 if (_info == "true") then {hint "Searching for Target";};
                 sleep 6;
                myNearestEnemy = _drone findNearestEnemy _drone;
              if (!isNull myNearestEnemy) then 
                {
                _drone lockCameraTo [myNearestEnemy, [0]];
                _drone doTarget myNearestEnemy;
                _drone doWatch myNearestEnemy; 
                if (_info == "true") then {hint "target acquired!";};
                _drone fireAtTarget [myNearestEnemy,"Laserdesignator_mounted"];
                sleep 2;
                _drone fireAtTarget [myNearestEnemy,_weapon];
                if (_info == "true") then {hint "Fired Missile!";};
                sleep 10;

};
            }; 

if (_drone getVariable "Mode" == "DESIGNATE") then
            {
                   if (_info == "true") then {hint "Designate";};
                   sleep 2;
                   if (_info == "true") then {hint "Lase the target!";};  
                   sleep 6; 
                   targetsarray = _drone targets [true, 3000];         
                   index = targetsarray findIf {TypeOf _x =="lasertargetW"}; 
                 if (index>=0) then
                 {
                    myNearestEnemy = targetsarray select index;
                    sleep 1; 
                    sleep 2; 
                    sleep 6; 
                   };
              };

if (_drone getVariable "Mode" == "STANDBY") then
                  {
                   if (_info =="true") then {hint "STANDBY Searching...";};
                  _drone lockCameraTo [[position uav1 select 0, position _drone select 1,0], [0]];
                   sleep 2;
                   }
 }; 

Save that script to your scenario folder as DeadlyDroneV1.sqf

3 DRONE MODES

This script provides a Greyhawk with 3 modes of operation AI Auto, Manual and AI Standby.

Mode1 STANDBY - starting/default mode. Drone will scan flight path, id enemies. Also used to"unstick" targeting in rare even it gets stuck.

Mode2 AUTO - Drone in AI mode will identify nearest targets and fire on them continuously ( with short delay between each firing) until mode is changed.

Will wipe out enemy vehicles in quite a wide area. Does not attack infantry.

Mode3 DESIGNATE - Manual mode. Drone will wait for on targets designated by laser from ground or from the drone or by other vehicle..

Always use DESIGNATE for Manual laser designation. ( You can manually designate in Auto but occassionally this causes a problem - skip into STANDBY

to for a while to sort this)

To USE
Mode is changed by setting variable on the UAV 

If your Greyhawk is called dronename then
eg  dronename setVariable ["Mode","AUTO"]

or dronename setvariable ["Mode","DESIGNATE"]

I use a radio trigger for this ( see later section)

Script itself should be called eg from trigger as follows;
ScriptHandle = [Dronename,rearmingdelay,weapon,info,] execVM "DeadlyDroneV1.sqf";

eg test = [uav1,60,"missiles_SCALPEL","true"] execVM "DeadlyDroneV1.sqf";

where>
Dronename is the name of drone eg uav1
RearmingDelay - Number - seconds - Drone will rearm when out of missiles. Set a delay in seconds allowing you to simulate the drone taking some time to rearm.
Weapon - Name of weapon to use Best is to arm Greyhawk with Scalpels and make this "Missiles_SCALPEL" Other missiles and bombs can be used but are less reliable.
info - set to "True" for hints info about drone status/actions or "false" for no display of info.

You should call the script ( eg from a trigger with player present) before using the radio trigger so that the drone modes have been initialised.

Setting up the drone

This script will work with the predator drone but is designed to work with and is recommended for a GREYHAWK equipped with SCALPEL missiles.

Other weapons than scalpel can be used but are not as reliable and may not work well in AUTO mode.
To see weapons use command -   weapons yourdronename eg in watch field.

If you just set your SCALPEL equipped Greyhawk at 2,000 ft it will circle an area. Setting it into AUTO mode will then make it an enemy vehicle killer.

USING WITH A DRONE TABLET
You don't need a tablet to use the script but with a tablet you can watch the drone in operation, move it elsewhere etc.
Drone at 2,000 ft is ideal. below that it's of course more vulnerable to AA. SAMs can take a drone at 2,000 ft.

If the drone is on AUTO or STANDBY mode its best not to try laser designating or firing through the tablet itself.

If you want to lase or fire through the tablet best put the drone in DESIGNATE mode.

You can move the drone via waypoints in the tablet in any mode. 

RADIO TRIGGER 

You can use any method you like to setVariable to change the mode. I use a radio Trigger - Radio Alpha and use the following code which cycles between the three modes.

switch ( uav1 getvariable "mode") do 
{ 
    case "STANDBY": 
    { 
        hint "Mode:AUTO"; 
        uav1 setvariable ["Mode","AUTO"];  
    }; 

case "AUTO": 
    { 
        hint "Mode:DESIGNATE"; 
        uav1 setvariable ["Mode","DESIGNATE"]; 
    }; 

case "DESIGNATE": 
    { 
        hint "Mode: STANDBY"; 
        uav1 setvariable ["Mode","STANDBY"]; 
    }; 

};

If you want the player to be able to control the drones modes this is a good method. You can also of course set the drone to operate without onscreen feedback ( Info "false")

and eg put the drone in AUTO mode if you simply want the drone to operate around an area as a vehicle killer./ vehicle area denial.

Although the predator drone and or laser designated bombs can be used with this script they are less reliable. I may release an update or a separate script for those.

Anyway I hope you enjoy. I will put up a STEAM demo scenario to show capabilities shortly.

All and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

17/1120 - Script slightly amended - automatic laser designation by drone removed from MANUAL DESIGNATE section off script. It was redundant and shouldn't have been there. Minor change whcih really

just tidies script so I haven't re versioned.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Apologies - for some reason I cant work out the demo has saved as a multiplayer rather than as a singleplayer. Im not sure why. 

14 hours ago, The Real Bunc said:

Thank you!

EDIT: I did try the demo, and I love it. It makes you feel more in control of the drone. One thing I suggest is once you call the drone with the trigger, an addAction should come up un the menu screen to let you choose the different mode of the drone. As it is, you have to keep "radio-triggering" the mode. Just my humble suggestion. Otherwise, GOOD JOB mate!

13 hours ago, The Real Bunc said:

Apologies - for some reason I cant work out the demo has saved as a multiplayer rather than as a singleplayer. Im not sure why. 

I guess you did click the "Single Player" button when you set up the demo to be published on Steam, right? But anyway it happened to me that for some unknown reason when publishing an SP only mission and NOT checking the MP tab it comes out as "Multiplayer" as well. Always wondered why.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback Zagor. I'll try out your suggestion re an AddAction approach and post something further on that. I looked for a single player/multiplayer button when I publisjed but couldnt for the life of me see anything like that. Im probably just being dumb and missed something obvious.

1 hour ago, The Real Bunc said:

I looked for a single player/multiplayer button when I publisjed but couldnt for the life of me see anything like that. Im probably just being dumb and missed something obvious.

Open your "publish on Steam" tab in the editor...

arma-3-screenshot-2020-1-compressed.jpg

Click on "EDIT TAGS"...

arma-3-screenshot-2020-2compressed.jpg
EDIT THE PREFERENCE:

arma-3-screenshot-2020-3-compressed.jpg

• Like 2

Hey man, hoping I'm not disrespecting you, I tried to work on the "addAction" thing...

I've got some results with this code in a radiotrigger:

Spoiler

start = {  
removeallactions player;  
player addAction ["<t size='1.5' shadow='2' color='#ffff00'>DRONE OPTIONS:</t>", moptions, [], 6, true, true, "", ""];  
}; 
moptions = {  
removeallactions player;  
player addAction ["<t size='1.5' shadow='2' color='#00cc00'> ON STANDBY</t>", o1, [], 1, true, true, "", ""];  
player addAction ["<t size='1.5' shadow='2' color='#ff9900'> MANUAL FIRE</t>", o2, [], 2, true, true, "", ""];  
player addAction ["<t size='1.5' shadow='2' color='#cc3300'> AUTO TARGET</t>", o3, [], 3, true, true, "", ""];  
player addAction ["<t size='1.5' shadow='2' color='#3366cc'>DISMISS DRONE</t>", o4, [], 4, true, true, "", ""];  
};  

o1 = {  
hint "DRONE ON STATION IN STANDBY FOR ORDERS...";   
call start;   
};  
o2 = {  
hint "MANUAL FIRE";   
call start;   
};  
o3 = {  
hint "AUTO TARGET";   
call start;   
};  
o4 = {  
removeAllActions player;  
hint "";   
}; 
call start;

As it is, everything "kinda" works. Kinda because somehow the drone drops the ordnance correctly and whatnot..but it doesn't go through the whole "lase target/target acquired"....all the procedures coded in the deadlyDroneV1.sqf file.

I also added a little thing at the "STANDBY mode": I noticed that if you put the drone in standby AFTER it has been in AUTO mode it keeps targeting autonomously the vehicles..

so I gave it a little 

_drone setBehaviour "SAFE";
_drone setCombatMode "GREEN";

deadlyDroneV1.sqf:

Spoiler

while {alive _drone} do 
{
               {
                 sleep _rearmDelay;
                 _drone setvehicleAmmo 1;
                };

{
                 if (_info == "true") then {hint "Auto Target On";};
                 sleep 3;
                 if (_info == "true") then {hint "Searching for Target";};
                 sleep 6;
                {
                sleep 2;
                sleep 10;

};
            }; 

{
                   if (_info == "true") then {hint "Designate";};
                   sleep 2;
                   if (_info == "true") then {hint "Lase the target!";};  
                   sleep 6; 
                 if (index>=0) then
                 {
                    sleep 1; 
                    sleep 2; 
                    sleep 6; 
                   };
              };

{
                   if (_info =="true") then {hint "STANDBY Searching...";};
                  _drone lockCameraTo [[position uav1 select 0, position _drone select 1,0], [0]];
                   sleep 2;
				   _drone setCombatMode "GREEN";
                   }
 }; 

Any ideas?

Always happy to get suggestions Zagor! The radio trigger was only one way to set the variable and switch the drone modes it wasn't really the core of the Deadly drone idea. I actually envisaged also using the deadly drone script without giving the player direct control over the drone in some situations anyway - eg in a scenario where you might want a drone just to perform an area denial role.

I'll have a look at you suggestions tomorrow re the switching from AUTO to STANDBY. I find it odd that the drone should need to be set into SAFE or Combatmode green going from AUTO to  standby as the rest of the code never changes either the behaviour or the combatmode anyway and doesn't rely on either behaviour or combatmode for its targeting or firing. I think I've also spotted some code redundancy in my original file so I'll have a look again tomorrow and see what's what and also try out the addaction approach to setting the variable. 

I'd originally gone for using a radio trigger because this seemed more realistic - ie I could envisage a soldier having a basic radio preset that was able to communicate with a circling drone and put it into different modes. But the Addaction would be a good alternative approach as well I think.

12 hours ago, The Real Bunc said:

I'd originally gone for using a radio trigger because this seemed more realistic - ie I could envisage a soldier having a basic radio preset that was able to communicate with a circling drone and put it into different modes. But the Addaction would be a good alternative approach as well I think.

That's the way I called the add action: the "unit" will call drone support with radio, those the addActionS show up giving him to choose which mode to use. Recon (if he has a tablet)/standby, manual fire for a specific target, or auto for an area denial role.Once the task is done the drone could be dismissed.

For instance, I'm WIP on a CIA-SOG black-op/super-duper covert/we aren't even supposed to be there, mini-campaign. The only support they have is a recon/strike drone to surgically take out HVTs. thus the need to be in full control of the mode the drone operates. And your script is (almost) perfect. I'm waiting for further developments, but thank you again for creating/sharing that.

TC mate!

EDIT:

I fell like an idiot as well, bud. I just realize that I set up the

test=[uav1,60,"missiles_SCALPEL","false"] execVM "deadlydroneV1.sqf";

on "false" instead of "true". Now everything works flawlessly. 😋

Hi Zagor - Just to confirm -

1) The auto laser firing by the drone in the DESIGNATE part of the script is redundant. Don't know why I didn't realise this when I wrote it. So I am removing those two lines. Im not going to make this a new version so anyone using the script should note that the version in the first post has now been slightly amended and improved in that way.

2) regarding switching from AUTO to STANDBY - I know why it might appear to you that the script was still operating in AUTO - it's because there are sleeps built into each section of the script. If you change the mode while the script is fully in the AUTO section it will complete that section before switching. In some cases it might appear that the script is still auto targeting. It isn't. Its just completing the previous auto targeting actions before switching so it doesn't need the extra lines to set combat mode etc that you suggested. I tested this by using different radio triggers to specifically set AUTO and STANDBY and switch between them. The original script is working as intended. When using the script remember there are slight sleep delays that impact how quickly the drone changes mode. Be patient with my precious and it will reward you with hours of tank killing fun.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Real Bunc said:

2) regarding switching from AUTO to STANDBY....

Thank you, I thought so. Once completed whatever the drone was firing it goes to "relax" mode...

5 minutes ago, The Real Bunc said:

1) The auto laser firing by the drone in the DESIGNATE part of the script is redundant.

Thanks as well for fixing it. To be honest, I didn't even notice that...😁

PS: I did come up with a working "addAction" reworked script if you are interested. I added the possibility for the user to move the drone without the UAV terminal in inventory, a few "cosmetic" radio calls from the vanilla support  .ogg files, and obviously the addactions. Let me know if you want me to PM you. (Just so I'm not clogging up your post with my thighs...)

• Like 1

Zagor, feel free to post any enhancements here my friend. My main interest was the core script itself. The cycling radio alpha script was just the one way I envisaged it being used. For my own use Im probably mostly going to use it without giving the player control and simply set variable using a trigger to put it into say AUTO and without messages so it does area denial type stuff but it would be very useful to have other methods of switching like your addaction approach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Roger that!

Here we go then...

On the AO, I have this set up:

besides the player and the drone (uav1), I have 2 triggers.

trigger one:

name: yourVariableName 

text: CALL DRONE SUPPORT

activation: RADIO ALPHA

condition: this

on act: test=[uav1,60,"missiles_SCALPEL","true"] execVM "deadlyDroneV2.sqf";

once fired, it calls for the script (modified and already updated with the 2 redundant lines removed):

Spoiler

if ((alive uav1)) then { 
[] spawn { 
playSound3D ["A3\dubbing_f\modules\supports\cas_heli_request.ogg", player];  
sleep 5;  
playSound3D ["A3\dubbing_f\modules\supports\uav_acknowledged.ogg", player];  
_playerGrp = group uav1;  
deleteWaypoint [_playerGrp, 1];   
_wp =_playerGrp addWaypoint [position player, 0];   
_wp setWaypointType "LOITER";   
_wp setWaypointLoiterRadius 1000;   
_wp setWaypointSpeed "FULL";   
_wp setWaypointBehaviour "AWARE";  
uav1 flyInHeight 2000;  
hint "VOLTURE 1-1 IS MOVING ON POSITION....KEEP TIGHT!";  
}; 
};
waitUntil { ((alive uav1)) && ((uav1 distance player) <= 2500) && triggerActivated drone_trigg; };
 start = {     
removeallactions player;     
player addAction ["<t size='1.5' shadow='2' color='#ffff00'>DRONE OPTIONS:</t>", moptions, [], 6, false, true, "", ""];     
};    
moptions = {     
removeallactions player;     
player addAction ["<t size='1.5' shadow='2' color='#00cc00'> ON STANDBY</t>", o1, [], 4, false, true, "", ""];     
player addAction ["<t size='1.5' shadow='2' color='#ff9900'> MANUAL FIRE</t>", o2, [], 3, false, true, "", ""];     
player addAction ["<t size='1.5' shadow='2' color='#cc3300'> AUTO TARGET</t>", o3, [], 2, false, true, "", ""];     
player addAction ["<t size='1.5' shadow='2' color='#3366cc'>DISMISS DRONE</t>", o4, [], 1, false, true, "", ""];     
};     

o1 = {         
call start;      
};     
o2 = {        
call start;      
};     
o3 = {         
call start;      
};     
o4 = {     
removeAllActions player;  
uav1 setBehaviour "SAFE";  
uav1 setCombatMode "BLUE";     
hint "";      
};    
call start; 

while {alive _drone} do 
{
               {
                 sleep _rearmDelay;
                 _drone setvehicleAmmo 1;
                };

{
                 if (_info == "true") then {hint "AUTO TARGET ON";};
                 sleep 3;
                 if (_info == "true") then {hint "SCANNING FOR TARGETS...";};
                 sleep 6;
                {
                if (_info == "true") then {hint "TARGET ACQUIRED...RELEASING ORDNANCE IN 3..2..1";};
                sleep 1;
                if (_info == "true") then {hint "ORDNANCE DROPPED!!!!";};
                sleep 10;

};
            }; 

{
                   if (_info == "true") then {hint "SEND TARGET...";};
                   sleep 2;
                   if (_info == "true") then {hint "KEEP LASER ON TARGET...";};  
                   sleep 3;
                 if (index>=0) then
                 {
                   if (_info == "true") then {hint "TARGET ACQUIRED...RELEASING ORDNANCE IN 3..2..1";};  
                    sleep 1; 
                    sleep 2; 
                   if (_info == "true") then {playSound3D ["A3\dubbing_f\modules\supports\artillery_acknowledged.ogg", player];};  
                    sleep 6; 
                   };
              };

{
                   if (_info =="true") then {hint "VOLTURE 1-1 AWAITING ORDERS...";};
                  //_drone lockCameraTo [[position uav1 select 0, position _drone select 1,0], [0]];
                   sleep 2;
				   _drone setCombatMode "BLUE";
                   }
 }; 

This will

-move the drone in your AO if you don't have the UAV terminal in your inventory or you don't want the player to have one, for some reason.

-wait for the drone to be in your AO and the script is starting

-an addAction will be available with 4 options:

-STANDBY MODE

-MANUAL FIRE

-AUTO TARGET

-DISMISS DRONE (just in case you want things to quiet down😛)

trigger two:

name:  NOT NEEDED

text: 

activation: NONE

condition: (!(alive uav1)) 

on act: 

playSound3D ["A3\dubbing_f\modules\supports\uav_destroyed.ogg", player];
deleteVehicle
yourVariableName;removeAllActions player;hint "DRONE HAS BEEN SHOT DOWN!!!!";

This trigger is needed to stop everything in case the drone is shot down. Can be avoided if you set "allowdamage 0;" on the drone.

Again, THANK YOU @The Real Bunc for the awesome script. I will implement it in my WIP mini-campaign with the due credits!

• Like 1

Zagor - just a quick reminder - you don't need the two following lines at the bottom of your version of the script 

Im pretty sure they are redundant,  though if you want to be absolutely sure the drone never fires in that mode leave them in - but drones never seem to respond for me themselves without direct orders that I've found.

1 minute ago, The Real Bunc said:

Zagor - just a quick reminder - you don't need the two following lines at the bottom of your version of the script 

Im pretty sure they are redundant.

Roger that, I'm taking them out.

Thank you, bud!

9 minutes ago, The Real Bunc said:

BTW I watched your video and I like your addaction way of calling the different modes. Good job mate.

Thank you. I'm working on a way to give the player the option of "confirming" the target in manual mode. So far you get the action "DRONE MODE">"MANUAL FIRE" and then you lase the target and the script will search for the laserTarget and fire at target with :"_drone fireAtTarget [myNearestEnemy,_weapon];". I would like to be able to get an addAction which will ask the player "confirm target?" and if "true" it will fire, if "false" it will keep searching for a new laser.

EDIT: BTW....TOTAL DARKNESS ABOUT THAT LOL.

• Like 2