jakkob4682

adding an action to an object

not like using the addAction command but making an object interactive so for instance giving the ability to open a container/ plant a charge etc.  

I want to enable object interaction.  As in opening a container/placing an object etc where you hold a button down to complete the action and after so long the action is completed.  If that makes sense.

Opening a container and placing an object are likely two very different things within your context. And holding a button down to compete an action is an addAction, specifically https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_holdActionAdd. There's no explicit enabling or disabling of an "interaction system". So like Harzach said, you're going to have to be specific about exactly what you're trying to do. 

• Like 2

As the rest of the people have said above, you should be a bit more precise on what you are trying to achieve. I will try to provide a random example based on my understanding of your question.

In this example, you should place a tablet somewhere and create a small Tanoa hangar, the one with the two sliding doors. In my example, I named the tablet object tablet and the hangar structure hangar (no wayyyy :D). So you could do the following in order to make the two sliding doors animate based on an actions attached to the tablet.

// Add open holdAction to the tablet
[
tablet, // Object the action is attached to
"Open hangar doors",  // The title of the action
"\a3\ui_f\data\IGUI\Cfg\holdactions\holdAction_hack_ca.paa", // Idle icon shown on screen
"\a3\ui_f\data\IGUI\Cfg\holdactions\holdAction_hack_ca.paa", // Progress icon shown on screen
"_this distance _target < 3", // Condition for the action to be shown
"_this distance _target < 3", // Condition for the action to progress
{}, // Code executed on action start,
{ // Code executed on every progress tick
	private _hangar = (_this select 3) select 0; // Get the hangar
	private _animPhase = _hangar animationSourcePhase "Door_2_Sound_Source"; // Get the current phase of the doors
	private _animToGo = 1/(_this select 4); // Get the animation phase to move to
	if(_animPhase <= _animToGo) then { // Check if door is already midway
		_hangar animateSource["Door_2_Sound_Source", _animToGo]; // Open left door
		_hangar animateSource["Door_3_Sound_Source", _animToGo]; // Open right door
    };
}, // End of code executed on every progress tick
{}, // Code executed when action completed
{}, // Code executed when action interrupted
[hangar], // Arguments passed to the script as _this select 3
12, // Duration of action
0, // Priority
false, // Remove completed
false, // Show unconsious
true /* Show on screen */] call BIS_fnc_holdActionAdd;

// Add close holdAction to the tablet
[
tablet, // Object the action is attached to
"Close hangar doors",  // The title of the action
"\a3\ui_f\data\IGUI\Cfg\holdactions\holdAction_hack_ca.paa", // Idle icon shown on screen
"\a3\ui_f\data\IGUI\Cfg\holdactions\holdAction_hack_ca.paa", // Progress icon shown on screen
"_this distance _target < 3", // Condition for the action to be shown
"_this distance _target < 3", // Condition for the action to progress
{}, // Code executed on action start,
{ // Code executed on every progress tick
	private _hangar = (_this select 3) select 0; // Get the hangar
	private _animPhase = _hangar animationSourcePhase "Door_2_Sound_Source"; // Get the current phase of the doors
	private _animToGo = 1 - (1/(_this select 4)); // Get the animation phase to move to
	if(_animPhase >= _animToGo) then { // Check if door is already midway
		_hangar animateSource["Door_2_Sound_Source", _animToGo]; // Open left door
		_hangar animateSource["Door_3_Sound_Source", _animToGo]; // Open right door
    };
}, // End of code executed on every progress tick
{}, // Code executed when action completed
{}, // Code executed when action interrupted
[hangar], // Arguments passed to the script as _this select 3
12, // Duration of action
0, // Priority
false, // Remove completed
false, // Show unconsious
true /* Show on screen */] call BIS_fnc_holdActionAdd;

Two actions are attached to the object, one to open the doors and the other to close the doors. You could possibly refine the code here and optimize a bit but I hope you do get the basic idea.

One more thing to note here is that using addActions is not a great way to do things because the conditions are checked at (almost) every frame which can end up in a significant performance degradation if many addActions are used in a mission. You could possibly add a trigger which will be activated by the players, with an area about 5 metres around the object to which you attach the actions, and attach the actions when the trigger is triggered (:|). And when people leave the area, remove the actions. This way, you can set the trigger condition check to a rather low value and ease the burden on the CPU.

Finally, please note that the above code is not tested and may contain syntactic and/or logical errors. Please test before use.

Let us know if this helps you somehow or if you may have more questions and or issues.

Have fun, stay safe and ArmA a lot 🙂.

1 hour ago, ZaellixA said:

One more thing to note here is that using addActions is not a great way to do things because the conditions are checked at (almost) every frame which can end up in a significant performance degradation if many addActions are used in a mission. You could possibly add a trigger which will be activated by the players, with an area about 5 metres around the object to which you attach the actions, and attach the actions when the trigger is triggered (:|). And when people leave the area, remove the actions. This way, you can set the trigger condition check to a rather low value and ease the burden on the CPU.

Sorry for "pirating" this post and taking advantage of your knowledge... I have more or less about 20 holdActions/addActions in one of my WIP mission (SP/Tanoa); should I be worried and convert them to the "trigger-solution" you suggested?

Thank you.

23 minutes ago, zagor64bz said:

Sorry for "pirating" this post and taking advantage of your knowledge... I have more or less about 20 holdActions/addActions in one of my WIP mission (SP/Tanoa); should I be worried and convert them to the "trigger-solution" you suggested?

Thank you.

Arma Wiki:

If action is added to an object (and not to player) condition will only get evaluated IF player is closer than ~50m to the object surface AND is looking at the object.

So doing it trigger way is needless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cysiu said:

Arma Wiki:

If action is added to an object (and not to player) condition will only get evaluated IF player is closer than ~50m to the object surface AND is looking at the object.

So doing it trigger way is needless.

Thank you, I've got what I was looking for.😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, beno_83au said:

Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for

9 hours ago, ZaellixA said:

As the rest of the people have said above, you should be a bit more precise on what you are trying to achieve. I will try to provide a random example based on my understanding of your question.

In this example, you should place a tablet somewhere and create a small Tanoa hangar, the one with the two sliding doors. In my example, I named the tablet object tablet and the hangar structure hangar (no wayyyy :D). So you could do the following in order to make the two sliding doors animate based on an actions attached to the tablet.

Yeah after reading Beno's response that's what I was looking for now to implement it!! Thanks guys.

• Like 2