Luft08

Stopping say3D midway through...

I have a group of friends that play my Arma missions. Some are jokers who will shoot the officer while he is giving the starting briefing. I have disabled damage on the officer so that the starting information (which changes from mission to mission) isn't stopped in the middle of the briefing.

However, I would like to prepare a little surprise for the jokers. I have reduced the damage the officer will take by a LOT and when these jokers shoot him I want him to stop talking, pull his gun, say: "Oh, you think that's funny?" ,shoot the joker dead and say "Not laughing now are you chuckles!"

I have everything working except I can't stop the officer from completing the say3D command. I read somewhere that you can attach a logic object and use the say3D command on that so that when you want the officer to stop talking you can delete the logic object.

I can't seem to get this to work. I named the logic object and used that name in the say3D command but no sound. Can you use say3D with logic objects?

say3D returns a sound object nowadays so no need for any weird logic etc shenanigans:

private _voice = someguy say3D "some_stuff";
sleep 0.3;
deleteVehicle _voice;

• Like 3

You could even attach an invisible helipad to the guy and then erase it so as to stop the say3D. That is since the helipad is speaking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnKalo said:

You could even attach an invisible helipad to the guy and then erase it so as to stop the say3D. That is since the helipad is speaking.

I recommend people use the "sphere" object, and remove the texture to make it invisible.  The invisible helipad uses more cpu resources, so the sphere is better for this type of application.  

• Like 1

Just wondering, why would you use any extra object gimmicks when there is no need to anymore?

11 hours ago, h - said:

say3D returns a sound object nowadays so no need for any weird logic etc shenanigans:

private _voice = someguy say3D "some_stuff";
sleep 0.3;
deleteVehicle _voice;

Wow, that could make things a lot easier if I can figure out how to make it work when the say3D is wrapped in an remoteExec.  Would it be as easy as: 

_voice = [captain,["Surprise",100, 1]] remoteExec["say3D"];

I'll try it and see.  Thanks!

remoteExec doesn't return stuff like that unfortunately, probably the only way is to write a short script/function you execute via remoteExec, in which you then deal with say3D.
MP isn't really my forte though..

• Like 1