Sign in to follow this  
SouthernGoods2

Building server for Arma 3, what specs should I look for?

I am planning on building a server with a 3960X Threadripper with 128GB of RAM 3200 along with a 2TB SSD, and among other things which will then be COLOed at a data center. Would this be adequate hardware to support 130 players across two servers? 

Overkill.

ARMA 3 game engine uses about 2 real threads itself  - game and script.

The others such as graphics are not that important for a dedicated server.

For your setup, you can give at least 1 headclient per core or thread and support another 100-150 AI per core or thread. 

I would like to see the performance though.

Realistically, any high IPC and Ghz cpu core should do well but AMD Ryzen and threadrippers are now the king of ARMA clock to clock.

A brief summary would be to get something with a high individual core speed (High IPC) as said before. I have used both a server with 2 x Xeon 2690V2 (3ghz 10 core) and on a 4 core i3-9350KF running at 4.9ghz. The i3 far outperformed the Xeon on the same missions.

A 3960X would do very well despite being primarily focused on multi-thread applications due to the improvements in IPC on the Zen architecture.

As you might well guess though, most importantly it is how the mission has been setup and optimised, not to mention whether your individual players are using stable connections with low packet loss.