Sparker

Forward Scan Sonar for ships

Pretty interesting resulsts with the "test radar".

12 hours ago, Sparker said:

But I don't think it would be very useful, unfortunately - we are not doing a lot of navigation between iceberg fields or things like that in the game.

It would be usefull for boats/ships to navigate at night / bad weather etc. because you could also see the size and shape of objects / other ships on the radar. The standart bi-radar only shows markers for other vehicles and you cannot see wich shape/size the object has. The bi-radar isint really a radar, more like an AIS-signal wich just shows positions of other vehicles and not objects. Also with your radar, you could see objects on the sea surface (wich are not vehicles) like buoys or wrecks. What makes your radar system far better than the "bi vehicle tracker radar" is that it works more like a proper radar. With settings for beam width, range, accuracy etc. it would be pretty cool to use this.

The "object detecion" is much more realistic. Because if there is for example a large ship and dierectly behind it, a small boat, the small boat could not be detected by the radar because the radar beam is blocked by the large ship. The "bi radar" dosent cares if vehicles are behind other vehicles etc. Lastly a radar has only a specefic beam width, in wich it "scans" for objects. The bi-radar dosent has all this features.

For navigation purposes (ships) it would be usefull, but for target tracking (missiles, airplanes etc) i dont know if this would work very well to detect jets, wich move at mach 2 and faster. But you could just add an experimental air radar it would be interesting to test the detection of different vehicles at differnt speeds etc. It would be cool to just test if angeled surfaces (stealth design) makes any difference to your radar detecting objects

On 11/16/2020 at 5:40 PM, Sparker said:

Also I don't know about any real life radars which have imaging purpose - apart from SAR radar, but that one must be mounted on a platform moving very fast, like an airplane or a satellite, and it scans sideways. Anyway I'd like to hear more information on radar imaging technologies and how we could use that in the game.

Been watching this thread and it's pretty interesting what you've accomplished. 

FWIW, ISAR doesn't require a fast emitter to work.  It's used on helicopters and propeller planes, as well.  However it looks at specific targets and generates a 3D image of them which can be analyzed in real time (freeze image, measure length, etc), although in those cases, it doesn't create a large picture of a battle-space.  With software changes, modern phased-array radars can do a bunch of different things.

What you're recreating looks much more like a multi-mode radar in a ground mode.  Some radars will just give the raw energy return, some will have a database of known land masses and clean up the image a bit, removing random returns that can be perceived as individual targets like on a coast line.  It's also good to understand that MMRs can display raw data, processed tracks, or both depending on what mode they're in, so images found in the internet may not be giving the whole picture of a particular radar's capability.

Regardless, pretty cool stuff you're doing.

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the cool ideas you have, guys!

I have made a little demo mission for the sonar mod. You need to locate several cargo containers at the sea floor with the sonar. A friend of mine gave me idea for this mission 🙂 Might be a little boring, but I guess that's what it's like to search for underwater objects.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2292443770

• Like 1

when you open the sonar GUI and disembark from the boat it will still be opened in the screen when you are in foot 

Are you sure? I thought I fixed it in one of recent uploads to Workshop.

Oh what? How? I didn't get any notification that someone has uploaded it there! How do I update it there then?

edit:
I've just checked and the armaholic upload should be up to date with the steam one. Can you redownload it again?

my bad it was me who was using the old version, it is updated in armaholic,  there is a guy called foxhound who reupload the mods that are here in the forums to armaholic

• Like 1

Dedicated server put this string in logfile about 8 times per second

19:30:14 "FLS: Add action to player: <NULL-object>"

(Спамит в лог несколько раз в секунду)

Hi!
Thanks, I will have a look.

Ok I see the problem, it runs a script on dedicated server while it shouldn't. You can try to disable the mod on your DS until I release a fix. The mod runs purely client-side.

Hey Sparker !
Thanks for this mod ! It is so clean and so Awesome ! 😍
I am trying to make a mission with the "Advanced Diving Environment" Mod, and some map that goes under 100 meters.
Is there a way to quickly modify the code (for my personnal use) to permit to scan at more than 100 meters?
Or are you interested to publish in some way a sort of "military class sonar version" 😄 ??
Thanks in advance for your answer !

If you turn sonar upside down and increase the scan range - then it will scan  ky for air targets and become radar

Spoiler

I know it sounds stupid and funny😁

It will, but since current implementation relies on ray casts with one degree direction step (or so, I don't remember), it will just miss most of the air targets at big distance. It's meant to make images of large surfaces, not detect single targets. For that we could just transform every target to local coordinates and plot it in UI.

• Like 1