TheoneandonlyNOR

Mission Idea - need help. RTS mission making

Hello, 

I have seen on Google and Steam Workshop and I found something almost the same as my idea. But still not the same sadly. 

General info:

First of all.  I am not a script person so for this mission it will be impossible for me to complete it without help. (allot of help)

This mission will mostly be working with script's and coding. For thows who knows how please help me/us.

I can help by typing class names for all that gona be in play for this mission.

This is not like Warfare or Warlord. Here the commanders must die to be victorius.

Main Objective:

Kill the (playable) Commander's and conquer sectors for ressources (cash). 

Do not die.

How to play this mission:

You start of as an commander for one of the sides. You will start with xxx cash (Starting founds) and will recieve xxx time cash for just staying alive.

On the map there is sectors your mission is to capture sectors to get more time cash to purchase units.

You will be in Zeus mode mostly of the time (reason for calling it RTS) Purchasing units and buildings. 

You will see that you only have xxx meters arround you were you can put down ure units and buildings. First thing you would like to do is to build a building that you can hide inside, so you are not in the opening.

You will than have to purchase units to do your dirty work. You should start off by building Light vehicle HQ so you can purchase (empty)vehicle for your units. Ofcurse build a Barracks HQ to get more advanced units as-well.

You will be able to see on map the enemy base is, they can see yours as-well. Once you get enugh foundings you should go to war!. Order the men to infiltrate the enemy base and find the bastard commander to kill him.

When all enemy commanders are dead, you win.

If you get killed and friendly commander still alive he can buy you a new life for xxx cash. But this mostly wont happen due to every commander are in their same base. (one base for Blufor, Opfor and Independent) Base area most likley 2-500m big.

Template picture:

https://prnt.sc/vbjuv4

- Yellow circle = Sectors

- Blue Rectangle = Blufor Base

- Red Rectangle = Opfor Base

- Green Rectangle = Independent Base

This Mission:

I will need .sqf files but I do not know what kind.

So What I need help with?

- Cash system script //Were I can just type in class name for unit, vehicle etc... And xxx how much it will cost.

- Cash engine //how to use the cash. Need building to get new units. If a commander dies than friendly commander can buy him a new life.

- Build system //Start by only be able to buy Barracks HQ and Light Vehicle HQ. Than maybe an Arsenal so Zeus can research Heavy Vehicle HQ and Airfield HQ. Must have Arsenal to edit units (use arsenal on units)

- Zeus Restriction's //So the Zeus cant deploy units outside Base, can only give orders outside. Zeus remote control can be acessed when buildt an Radio Tower (use arsenal to research it) Enemy units close in makes Zues unable to place units.

- Blacklist for units etc. //Parrameter will be used here. Blacklist units for Faction selected on Parrameter.

- Whitelist for units etc.// Parrameter will be used here. Whitelist more than one Faction for a side.

- Default Faction on Parrameters // Nato, IAF and AAF. Have RHS mod? Can chose different factions.

- Sector system // Make Sector a cash income and sector have guards.

- Man pop limit // Make Zeus not able to spawn more than xxx total units, Vehicles and Buildings. All seperate and can edit total in parameters. (buildings have one total limit, Vehicle have one and Units.)

- Heal system // In Base run Full heal script every xxx sek to heal etc units. Can use parameters to decide how long time. (This will be best if 1 minute are the mimium limit.)

- Repair system // Build a Repair vehicle to start Repair script. Repairs all Vehicle and Structures after xxx sek. (Same as above minium limit 1 minute. Parameter option.)

- AI Commanders // This is a LONG shoot. But when and if this is possible than I say thank you! But focus first on MP.

- Every Start has same Base spot but Side's can randomly rotate on every new game.

- to be cuntiniued...

Mod compatible?

Yes this mission should have Parrameters that makes you able to decide wich Faction Blufor, Opfor and Independent should be. (RHS mod for an example.)

Weapons and items well Yes. There will be possible for some weapons. Depend if make unit's gear free or make some popular weapon mod like NIarms avaible.

Work with WW2 mod? Lets just be able to finish Standard first before this point.

Like this idea of mission?

Now I do not know if this mission can even be built or if Server can handle it without lagg. 

But lets say it is possible to make this mission, than please leave a like and if you want to help me with this I will really apreciate it!!! I beleave this mission can make arma a new level of experiance.

PS!

Sorry for bad english! And PM me or add me on steam if interested. 

Regards!

Your project is really ambitious, especially for someone who does not know how to script. I definitely don't mean to discourage you here, as I really believe that one should have ambition in order to do something good.

My suggestion is to follow a divide-and-conquer approach here. In my opinion, the most important part of your project should be planning. You should plan the interaction of each part of the project with the rest, if this is needed, and set clear and concise requirements for each of the parts/systems of the project.

This is not something easy, but I believe that if you manage to do that the implementation of each sub-system/part of the project will become easier and in many cases, different sub-systems could be implemented in parallel (if they don't depend on each other or interact with other systems).

I will PM you for more chit-chat, but I really believe that you should grab a pencil and a lot of paper sheets and start drafting!

I hope more (and more experienced than me) people will contribute here.

Feel free to post again, or PM if you need further assistant or wanna chat more about it (prefer PM for the latter).

• Like 3

The best section on forum is here, especially if you don't have any script yet.

You'll find on forum tons of tools. Have a look at Gunter's pages.

Some of your goals are probably treated by addons. Have a look on mine for spawn sector/heal/repair... Not saying it's your global solution but you'll find some useful tools.

• Like 2

@ZaellixA - Well I will probably not write on paper as I am much faster writing on the pc and will do it there.. I gladly will thank you for actully say that this is not impossible just really hard since I have no experiance about this. 

What I prob. wont be able to figure out is how to make it balance when it comes to the sectors for the mission. I believe like it was on my template blufor have an disadvantage due to the distance from middle of all sectors and the other sides.

edited - And how much the cost of units etc should be as-well.

@pierremgi - So on "FIND OR OFFER EDITING" page. I really dont know were to search there. Cuz I really not sure yet were to start. Should I place everything in the editor first than start scripting or just start script first than do editor after.

Gunter's Page. You say tools for me. Is this tool mods? or just how to make AI work for this mission? I se mutch are about AI on that page. I think the MP pvp should get completed first before starting with AI in this matter.

BUT anywais thanks for telling me that this is actully possible to make. I will start right away to figure how and what to make this come true. ❤️ 

• Like 1

What I truly need first before I can even start all this... 

I use Sublime text. After reinstall my PC I lost the SQF build or highlight syntex what its now called... I found the package in Github JonBons .

But still when I go to Tools -> Build System the SQF build still does not show up. 

how to fix this?

Edited - NvM I got it to work. But still not showing in Build System.

@TheoneandonlyNOR,
Good News:
I've seen pretty much exactly what you're asking for running in a nearly complete state.

Bad News:
The author of the mod which accomplishes all this is one of the best coders I've ever met and they eventually gave up because the project was too much.

What you're talking about isn't a script snippet, a module, or even a framework. What you're talking about is a complete conversion.

We're here to help, of course, but man you've got some work to do.

Have fun!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheoneandonlyNOR said:

What I prob. wont be able to figure out is how to make it balance when it comes to the sectors for the mission. I believe like it was on my template blufor have an disadvantage due to the distance from middle of all sectors and the other sides.

edited - And how much the cost of units etc should be as-well.

@TheoneandonlyNOR believe me when I say that these balancing issues are quite minor compared to structuring and coding the whole conversion (as wogz187 called it). There are many games and/or mods (Elite mod for Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2 is a very good example) that constantly tweak their balancing. It is quite hard to find the "absolute balance" for a game/mode but I strongly believe that this is something you should consider in a later stage of the development.

As wogz187 said, we'll be here to help in the best of our ability, so please don't hesitate to contact us again at any stage of the development. And to conclude this short post of mine, even if you never manage to finish this project, I am sure there's a whole lot of knowledge and other hard and soft skills to get from giving a try.

I will surely be around to see it happening 🙂!

• Like 2

@wogz187 - Looks good, but still not quite same. I wont have the level up system all tought it could be nice. and I am not sure if that is just a skin or that he changed the collor for unit's tab to the left. But I will go for vanilla when it comes to the unit tab on the left when in zeus. And it looks like much of hes work are done by modules. I will try not to use so much of that. Since I heard modules takes more server load than script's does. (if still is a issue I do not know.) 

So what I can see he got that I need is..

Build restriction. So cant build outside own base. 

I cant see he got any cash system in his video. Looks like all is based on leveling up. and Units respawn if die's. Not something I want.

9 hours ago, ZaellixA said:

@TheoneandonlyNOR believe me when I say that these balancing issues are quite minor compared to structuring and coding the whole conversion (as wogz187 called it). There are many games and/or mods (Elite mod for Warhammer 40K Dawn of War 2 is a very good example) that constantly tweak their balancing. It is quite hard to find the "absolute balance" for a game/mode but I strongly believe that this is something you should consider in a later stage of the development.

As wogz187 said, we'll be here to help in the best of our ability, so please don't hesitate to contact us again at any stage of the development. And to conclude this short post of mine, even if you never manage to finish this project, I am sure there's a whole lot of knowledge and other hard and soft skills to get from giving a try.

I will surely be around to see it happening 🙂!

I am not even close to figure out the balance, not to worry. Right now I am working on template's for it. Were to start and how to finish. I figured out that Money system should be the first thing to start with. So right now I am looking at different topics and youtube's for how to make money script nearlly as I want it to be. But surley no one have made money system like I want it... Well that I have found yet.

Regards for the nice comfort! ❤️ 

PS. I just got free week. AND dumbest goal ever.... Finish untill weekend!! 😃 (at least one part of the mission.) xD

• Like 2

I worked on an rts some time ago but never released it, but i been tweaking it a bit this month and got it in a working state. I uploaded a video you can see it in action.

• Like 4

So What I need help with?

- Cash system script //Were I can just type in class name for unit, vehicle etc... And xxx how much it will cost.

- Cash engine //how to use the cash. Need building to get new units. If a commander dies than friendly commander can buy him a new life.

- Build system //Start by only be able to buy Barracks HQ and Light Vehicle HQ. Than maybe an Arsenal so Zeus can research Heavy Vehicle HQ and Airfield HQ. Must have Arsenal to edit units (use arsenal on units)

- Zeus Restriction's //So the Zeus cant deploy units outside Base, can only give orders outside. Zeus remote control can be acessed when buildt an Radio Tower (use arsenal to research it) Enemy units close in makes Zues unable to place units.

- Blacklist for units etc. //Parrameter will be used here. Blacklist units for Faction selected on Parrameter.

- Whitelist for units etc.// Parrameter will be used here. Whitelist more than one Faction for a side.

- Default Faction on Parrameters // Nato, IAF and AAF. Have RHS mod? Can chose different factions.

- Sector system // Make Sector a cash income and sector have guards.

- Man pop limit // Make Zeus not able to spawn more than xxx total units, Vehicles and Buildings. All seperate and can edit total in parameters. (buildings have one total limit, Vehicle have one and Units.)

- Heal system // In Base run Full heal script every xxx sek to heal etc units. Can use parameters to decide how long time. (This will be best if 1 minute are the mimium limit.)

- Repair system // Build a Repair vehicle to start Repair script. Repairs all Vehicle and Structures after xxx sek. (Same as above minium limit 1 minute. Parameter option.)

- AI Commanders // This is a LONG shoot. But when and if this is possible than I say thank you! But focus first on MP.

- Every Start has same Base spot but Side's can randomly rotate on every new game.

- to be cuntiniued...

Sounds huge.

1500 hour project for someone who knows what they're doing, to create all from scratch.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, fn_Quiksilver said:

Sounds huge.

1500 hour project for someone who knows what they're doing, to create all from scratch.

Sounds like a job for superscriptman. able to leap tall coding orders in a single bound, able to write code faster then a speeding bullet, his code is more powerful then a locomotive, look up, up in the arma forums, its a troll, its a mod, its superscriptman. a job for Quicksilver! Away!

• Haha 2