TurtIeeee

Stuttering

Whenever i go into first person in a heli my game stutters a lot and the sound starts to static and its impossible to fly in first person 

specs

CPU: AMD FX 6300 six core processor

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560 series

RAM: 24GB

Hello, Welcome to BI forums!

What is the speed of your ram?

Is the game on an HDD or an SSD?

There's your issue.

You want a minimum of at least 2800mhz for ram speed, ideally 3200 - 3800 mhz the more the better optimized or better responsive the game is,

and you also want the game on an SSD, why?

With an SSD (Solid State Drive) which is like a large flash drive has no moving parts, loading of anything should

be very short and responsive, of course that depends on your ram and your cpu too, but with an SSD there is no fragmentation after using

files and such unlike an HDD which is basically a condensed record player, literally a disc inside a box.

Unless you can upgrade your ram, and buy an SSD and put Arma on it, about all i can suggest to you is the following:

• Defragment your hard drive at least twice a month this keeps it more responsive as it reduces the need for the computer to have to search for files that were used previously.
  • Turn off any external programs that arent needed during gameplay, so go through your taskmanager, look at whats running, also look at the startup list, do you really need certain things running?
  • Lower your settings ingame, keep in mind view distance heavily effects performance as its cpu dependent.
  • Use less mods, and AI in your missions if you use them.

Lastly you can also ask the guys on this thread

As the regulars there, OldBear, Groove_C, Tank Buster and sometimes others have a good in depth knowledge of computers, settings, and the arma engine

and give you a more detailed perspective on what is going on based on your specs and what your issue is.

They may say about the same as i did in terms of the ram speed and the game being on an HDD vs an SSD but point out some other aspects too.

Hope that helps. Cheers!

But why is it doing this now? game was working fine a month ago. and why is it only doing it for helis

Possible the issue is related to the latest update but cant say for sure.

Are you running any mods when you play?

Playing a custom mission you downloaded, or one you built?

Using any scripts?

How about you link your latest rpt, which is the log file the game creates every time its started, and posts

everything going on into the rpt, it will show any errors, or conflicts and its usually the first

place you want to look if there is an issue with or in the game.

You can find it here ---->  C:\Users\Your username\AppData\Local\Arma 3

it will be a notepad file with a date, time and .rpt at the end of it, basically play the game til you get the stuttering if possible, then quit the game.

Open the rpt with notepad, and copy everything in it, paste it in your reply into a spoiler, or better yet paste

it here https://justpaste.it/ publish it, and then post the link in your reply.

== "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\Arma3_x64.exe" -high -mod= -beservice

That -high did you add that?

Other then that im still leaning on the low speed of your ram and the game being on an SSD, rpt's aren't really showing me

anything that i can recognize as a conflict or something happening to cause the issue.

@oldbear @Tankbuster you guys see anything here in the rpt and or specs aside what i pointed out that

could be causing the stuttering for him?

23 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

== "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\Arma3_x64.exe" -high -mod= -beservice

That -high did you add that?

Other then that im still leaning on the low speed of your ram and the game being on an SSD, rpt's aren't really showing me

anything that i can recognize as a conflict or something happening to cause the issue.

@oldbear @Tankbuster you guys see anything here in the rpt and or specs aside what i pointed out that

could be causing the stuttering for him?

It's an old CPU and yes, the slow RAM is holding it back even more. As to why the game is stuttering now when it wasn't before? Perhaps an overheat?

1 hour ago, Tankbuster said:

Perhaps an overheat?

Thats an interesting thought, it is possible it could be overheating, and possibly more so when hes playing the Warlords mission.

2 hours ago, TurtIeeee said:

I didn't add -high

Ok, there a way for you to check the temperature of your cpu?

If not download this program, its free, after its installed run it https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

then post a screenshot if your able or post the numbers you get, probably best when not ingame,

then ingame when the game starts stuttering, this way you can compare readings.

• Like 1

@TurtIeeee

Welcome but sorry to know you had a problem.

The issue may have nothing to do with the hardware. For a month, there may have been updates for Windows, AMD, Arma3 and drivers.
The first thing to do is to check the integrity of the game files on Steam, then check the AMD drivers and check if the latest updates from AMD and Windows haven't messed up the way audio is handled.

• Like 2

Usually, sudden changes in performance are widely reported among users with low end machines, and there hasn't been a flood of reports, so you have to think @TurtIeeees problem probably isn't related to game update.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 1:01 AM, TurtIeeee said:

Whenever i go into first person in a heli my game stutters a lot and the sound starts to static and its impossible to fly in first person 

specs

CPU: AMD FX 6300 six core processor

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560 series

RAM: 24GB

So I have a freeze issue similar, although different.  In my case, sometimes the game will all of a sudden have short freeze right before enemy AI is killed.  I can actually see this with tracers...game has short 0.2-0.5sec freeze right as the round is impacting AI, then after the short hitching/freeze the game resumes ok until another AI is killed.  This hitching even happens with enemy AI that is killed by another AI that is within spawn range settings, which can be quite a pain during a larger batter.  Happens out of nowhere too!  For example, after a session that is smooth as silk, I'll log off and eat or whatever, then come back later to find the game starts this freezing for no apparent reason.

However, I did find a sort of workaround.  When this starts happening, I'll go to a new ARMA user profile to play the scenario, and the freeze/hitching is gone.  Sometimes it comes back, so I go to the previous user profile and the hitching goes away.  What I've also been doing as of late is using editor in one profile, and actual gaming in another.  So far seems to work.  

No idea why this is that way it is, but that's ARMA for you.  

Good luck!

DrDetroit

Not sure it's related to any profile.

- Check your object distance in video settings. That can drastically impact the FPS

- try to play in windowed mode (full windowed screen instead of full screen).

@Gunter Severloh sorry it took a week for me to respond but here is what you asked for https://imgur.com/a/NjCiGCp lower one is before higher one was while i was in a heli when it happened. And also i usually play Zeus i just do it in warlords because its easier to get a heli. Also @oldbear how would i check to make sure windows didn't mess up my audio?

@TurtIeeee

I don't know how to check your audio, but one of the best ways to avoid this kind of problem is to use a USB sound card that bypasses the motherboard audio card and the problems associated with driver conflicts. 

But back at the core of the issues you are experiencing.

You are playing Arma3 with a setup based on ...

• CPU: AMD FX 6300 six core processor
  • GPU: AMD Radeon RX 560 series

... playing with such a CPU limited configuration imposes very strict constraints on the parameter settings.

The most important being to set Overall Visibility parameter in the 1000/1200 m range.

Beyond this distance, the processor will be unable to cope with the computation request.

On most demanding terrains such as Tanoa or Livivonia the weaknesses of the configuration will show themselves with more strengths.

@oldbear, I was just about to say that the onboard sound systems on modern motherboards are very reliable and for the average user, they are more than good enough, but then I remembered, this user isn't using a 'modern' motherboard, he's using an 8 year old motherboard when onboard sound systems were junk.

The specific occasional stuttering sometimes points to a sound card - the game is trying to play a particular sound effect that might be a big file or in a format the soundcard doesn't support - but this is usually just a driver issue.

The simplest, most correct, but probably most unwelcome answer is - @TurtIeeee, your PC is old and knackered. Time to upgrade.

6 hours ago, TurtIeeee said:

@Gunter Severloh sorry it took a week for me to respond but here is what you asked for https://imgur.com/a/NjCiGCp lower one is before higher one was while i

was in a heli when it happened. And also i usually play Zeus i just do it in warlords because its easier to get a heli.

I see, thanks ya thats a big jump.

I still think its because of the game not being on an SSD, but as the others before me here has pointed out there are other factors to play in this too.

As for what Tankbuster said for upgrading, imo if you really are into arma3 and you feel its a game that gives you the most joy out of any other game you have or play

like myself, you would either put some money away to either buy or build a new computer and or even upgrade some components that Oldbear / Tank bustter would reccomend if you asked.

To start there i would definitely reccomend 32gb or more at 3600 or more freq for ram.

Game on an SSD, OS on another SSD, a decent graphics card at or above a gtx 1080.

CPU of all things at least from my opinion a I7-700k min to something better which i cant really give you any ideas on, though the other guys can why i called them here 😉

To me if your going to play arma then its a game where you need to apply yourself not only to the game but to aspects outside of the game

that enable you to have the best experience no matter what your into, so ideally a decent computer, the tool that which runs the game needs to be

able to handle this beast.

• Like 1

We don't know how big his monitor is. If's a run of the mill 1080 monitor, then a 1060 will be good enough. My 1080 just about powers my 2560 x 1440.
If the SSD is a good fast M2 type and big enough, I'd not worry too much about seperating the game and the OS. Some people have dozens of huge mods and so need a lot of space, it makes sense then, but otherwise, I'd prefer 1 big SSD over 2 smaller ones.