zagor64bz

Choosing side at the start for SP mission + layers usage?

Hi all, I'm planning a SP mission where the possibility of choosing a side (opfor/blufor) would be given to the player at the beginning of the mission. Is this possible?

Another thing...while using layers in the editor, it's possible to build some difference in the main "story" of the mission according to the chosen side?

Thanks all.

46 minutes ago, zagor64bz said:

where the possibility of choosing a side (opfor/blufor) would be given to the player at the beginning of the mission. Is this possible?

I dont see why not. Present the user some way of choosing, then spawn a unit of said side and selectPlayer( just take note of the warning on the commands wiki page ).

49 minutes ago, zagor64bz said:

while using layers in the editor, it's possible to build some difference in the main "story" of the mission according to the chosen side?

getMissionLayerEntities

Useful for disabling / enabling whole parts of the scenario which you add to specific layer while editing.

then just delete all entities on the layers not required by the chosen side. Pay attention to serverExec only.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Larrow said:

I dont see why not. Present the user some way of choosing, then spawn a unit of said side and selectPlayer( just take note of the warning on the commands wiki page ).

I kinda imagined something like that, but now I'm sure of it. I think I'll use a GUI of some sort...

1 hour ago, Larrow said:

getMissionLayerEntities

Never worked with layers before, so excuse my stupid question: beside units/objects, the layer will "port" also triggers, waypoints, and whatnot, right?

1 hour ago, Larrow said:

then just delete all entities on the layers not required by the chosen side. Pay attention to serverExec only.

Right...I'm gonna dig deeper into this "layers" thing: any place you recommend to start digging beside BI wiki?

Thanks a lot anyway, man...really appreciated.

Sorry for the late reply, probably sorted this out yourself but...

On 10/23/2020 at 3:43 PM, zagor64bz said:

beside units/objects, the layer will "port" also triggers, waypoints, and whatnot, right?

From a quick test, no, just seems to return units, vehicles, triggers and markers. No logics, groups, or waypoints (although groups and waypoints can be derived from the units ).

Created a FB ticket for it as Logics being missing seems weird.

On 10/23/2020 at 3:43 PM, zagor64bz said:

any place you recommend to start digging beside BI wiki?

Not really, BIKIs likely the best source, although I doubt there is much info to be had other than creating, naming and placing entities in them.

• Thanks 1

Start with the player wearing utility type clothing.

Place two training pointers on the map.  

Place text in the middle of the screen saying:  Walk to the left pointer to play Blueforce or walk to the right pointer to play Opforce.

As he walks to either pointer he goes through one of 2 triggers. For example the Blueforce trigger runs a script which does a whole lot of things.

• It provides him a uniform, equipment and ammunition.
  • It transports him to the starting place
  • It places enemy and objects across the map
  • And does what ever else you want to do.

Then do the same with the Opforce trigger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why not create a MP mission with one slot on each side instead? Then you also have the benefit to run it on dedicated server and save notable performance on player’s machine. I mean, is there a reason to avoid the MP lobby?

EDIT: It was only meant as a humble question, since I only do MP scenarios. But I think I figured it out. Of course, if only SP is intended, and if you want to package it nicely, then you may not want the MP lobby suggesting you can play it with more than one player. 🙂

On 10/26/2020 at 11:06 AM, Joe98 said:

Start with the player wearing utility type clothing.

Place two training pointers on the map.  

Place text in the middle of the screen saying:  Walk to the left pointer to play Blueforce or walk to the right pointer to play Opforce.

As he walks to either pointer he goes through one of 2 triggers. For example the Blueforce trigger runs a script which does a whole lot of things.

• It provides him a uniform, equipment and ammunition.
  • It transports him to the starting place
  • It places enemy and objects across the map
  • And does what ever else you want to do.

Then do the same with the Opforce trigger

Not a bad idea, after all....mmmm...something worth digging for sure. Thanks, bud!

On 10/25/2020 at 3:52 PM, Larrow said:

Sorry for the late reply, probably sorted this out yourself but...

No problem at all man!....been out of town myself anyway😁

On 10/26/2020 at 12:48 PM, engima said:

if only SP is intended, and if you want to package it nicely

Yeah man, that was the intention I had. 

ps:I really appreciate your input, bro.

• Like 1