omri2050

Under Ground Tunnels (composition) and teleport

Hello guys

some of you may find it useful. 

Shared the script + composition of the tunnel.

Teleport scripts WORKS also on dedicated, only AI can't use it. 

• Like 6

Nice idea, but a little suggestion. I did the same thing with VC tunnels a little while ago in an attempt to make the tunnels dark (trying to work around Arma's lighting), but I had players teleport to a sort-of prep room, so they weren't potentially teleported into the enemy AI's line-of-sight. Depends on the situation or intended use of this though of course.

This is awesome. I wanted to ask is it possible to place the composition into the map such as under a mountain, which is technically hollow? This can give the illusion of being "inside" the map via GPS coordinates.

Or is there a map limitation that requires the users and AI to be on "top" of the surface?

I can see this as a great way to create tunnels and undergrounds inside the maps.

5 hours ago, Valken said:

This is awesome. I wanted to ask is it possible to place the composition into the map such as under a mountain, which is technically hollow? This can give the illusion of being "inside" the map via GPS coordinates.

Or is there a map limitation that requires the users and AI to be on "top" of the surface?

I can see this as a great way to create tunnels and undergrounds inside the maps.

AI's are dumb. It's a problem...some of them in my mission just walked through the walls out of the tunnel..(vanilla walls..) so I had to disable their path. 

If you manage to remove GPS's from your friends inventory when in the tunnel, it creates a feeling of underground. 

7 hours ago, beno_83au said:

Nice idea, but a little suggestion. I did the same thing with VC tunnels a little while ago in an attempt to make the tunnels dark (trying to work around Arma's lighting), but I had players teleport to a sort-of prep room, so they weren't potentially teleported into the enemy AI's line-of-sight. Depends on the situation or intended use of this though of course.

Basically i teleported them to the beginning of the tunnel, and only when they activated a trigger inside the tunnel, the AI started to walk towards them. 
And for lightning , you can just play this mission at night and place some dim lights inside the tunnel for dark kind of feeling. 

Put this code into any object init, it will make light, and play with the value 0.5 , less is dimmer and higher is brighter
I used invisible signs for it. 

light = "#lightpoint" createvehicle position this;
light setlightbrightness 0.5;
light setlightcolor [1,1,1];
light setlightambient [1,1,1];

I don't know who is the owner of this script but all credit goes to the guy who did it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, omri2050 said:

Basically i teleported them to the beginning of the tunnel, and only when they activated a trigger inside the tunnel, the AI started to walk towards them.

Ahh, yeah that'd do the trick. And my lighting issue was the opposite. I needed to go from day to night. Can't remember exactly what I did, I'd have to look at it, but it worked out alright. 

12 minutes ago, beno_83au said:

Ahh, yeah that'd do the trick. And my lighting issue was the opposite. I needed to go from day to night. Can't remember exactly what I did, I'd have to look at it, but it worked out alright. 

I have used radio triggers to toggle time-skip to night, and then another to time-skip back to day when party left the tunnels. I'm sure there is a more immersive way.

you can play with setAperture (or setApertureNew), when you teleport.

• Like 2

To achieve this legitimately we need to create a new world space (terrain). The only issue being the transmission of variables through the map change (Arma has built in features to handle this non-issue). Although it would be more difficult initially to design the space, it would allow better handling of ambient properties (such as lighting).

For 3D games the basic concept is ubiquitous but Bethesda RPGs are a sterling example of this kind of design. You're making a dungeon.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the concept is worth the effort to do it all the way. Small, contained environments for Arma 3 (based on a terrain template for example), would be a welcome asset for sure.

Check this out,

Have fun!

• Like 6

I am aware that the new CDLC features tunnels (am away on work on a laptop- no Arma for me coming time).

But this so far seems pretty functional for me. The only thing that's missing for me is the GPS/Map element that may throw off players.

Do you simply remove the map from the player's inventory when they are underground (and return it via the "exit" addaction)?
Or can you spawn and teleport objects and players under the terrain surface via scripting? Or perhaps extremely high- beyond regular view distance (and hopefully without weird ambient wind sounds :float:). 

21 minutes ago, Melody_Mike said:

I am aware that the new CDLC features tunnels (am away on work on a laptop- no Arma for me coming time).

But this so far seems pretty functional for me. The only thing that's missing for me is the GPS/Map element that may throw off players.

Do you simply remove the map from the player's inventory when they are underground (and return it via the "exit" addaction)?
Or can you spawn and teleport objects and players under the terrain surface via scripting? Or perhaps extremely high- beyond regular view distance (and hopefully without weird ambient wind sounds :float:). 

That tunnel was my first attempt, only CUP CORE and vanila assets. No CDLC of any kind..
Also didn't take it too far with removing the map OR GPS although I get the logic behind it of course. 

• Like 1