Sign in to follow this  
*QcEP*BlackHawk

Connection lost...

quote mrlogik, if you are using an NT-based OS (2000 or XP), make sure you optimize the system performance for background processes instead of applications.

Otherwise, OFP will get a slight performance boost from the process scheduler, which may starve the ISDN modem driver of the CPU attention it needs. quote

You were right Mister Frag it did play a lot better last night with no connection lost and only lagged once, ithink this will cure 99% of the peeps problems in this whole thread. If not theyll have to setup or buy a cheap router as when i had my systems setup with router it ran smooth as silk : )

Nothing works for me.

Played on our server with a clanmate a few minutes ago and I disconnected again. My clanmate reported that at the same time, several players lost connection, not only me. It definetly has something to do with OFP.

Any word from BIS on this one?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Nyles @ Feb. 19 2003,12:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nothing works for me.

Played on our server with a clanmate a few minutes ago and I disconnected again. My clanmate reported that at the same time, several players lost connection, not only me. It definetly has something to do with OFP.

Any word from BIS on this one?<span id='postcolor'>

Could it be your clan's server or its connection? Do you have any tools to monitor the connection to the server?

If nothing else, try running PING -t to do continous pings, and see if any of the packets get dropped or if there is a significant change in the PING times.

It happens on every server from time to time, not just ours.

The strange thing is that most of the time, groups of player get disconnected from the server (xyz is loosing connection) at the very same time or in short succession. When those timeouts occour, I do not get disconnected from GameVoice and I also remain online in IRC. It is just with OFP.

2-3 times it already happened during Briefing, but mostly it's after a few minutes or somewhere in the middle of the map time.

This was never the case with any patch prior to 1.85 or maybe 1.90. It is really annoying and I demand some sort of info from BIS, if they know about the problem, and if yes, if there will be a fix for this with the next patch.

Public relations are indeed in a state in which they could need immediate improvement. Afterall, why release a BETA patch to the public, and not respond on any upcoming problems? They dont even ask for further information so they can investigate the problem more easily, nor do they inform us about progress or give us a new BETA version, to see if things work out better. I mean, that's how BETA testing works, right? confused.gif

Update all, the testing i did the other day with main pc set as router and older machine playing game worked flawless, until i try bigger map with vehicles and aircraft. I first tested deathmatch and then a small ctf 2 v 2 and it was sweet, did some more testing last night on normal servers and you got it "connection lost " appears after like 3 secs of yellow square im gone[even though ping is like 40/50ms while waiting to start]. I have tried every possible config of isp/router and setting in win2k that is possible. BIS must do something about this now,since this error message has plagued the community it has shrunk to all but the last few die hard ofp players,cant somebody get a direct email to them?confused.gif??Im sure they cant be watching this forum or surely theyd see all the complaints in this thread and the huge amount of views of people with problem who probably havent registered for board.

Ive had enough ive been off work for like 2 weeks with back injury and had plenty of time to change just about every setting in h/ware and s/ware of both my pc's my Lan different isp's different servers /drivers every bloody thing, come on bohemia fix this or cant you see that noone will buy your products for pc again?

Surely this thread being at front of forum under the section "troubleshooting" may have drawn some attention to maybe 1 team member?confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mrlogik @ Feb. 22 2003,00:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Surely this thread being at front of forum under the section "troubleshooting" may have drawn some attention to maybe 1 team member?confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I sent a PM to suma, so he is suposed to be aware of this. I didn't get any reply except the automatic reply that said that he read my message.

Have faith people, I'm sure they are looking into it but it would be nice if the ofp gods give us a sign biggrin.gif.

Good man.. I was gonna do it myself after the amount of yellow boxes I was getting last whilst connected to a 1mb host (with myself being 1mb)..

Great, they screwed it up with 1.91 (or even 1.90) and now fled the scene. crazy.gif

Has anyone got a server config that works very well at dishing out bandwidth, i mean it doesnt actually require that much bandwidth. I think the prob could be to set up a log file for a server wich sends its text outputs to a file when things get heavy. IE when the framerate drops below 25fps start logging the fps and the net packets sent/received, i read somewere once the servers get near 15fps they kinda start losing the plot, i cant remember the command to monitor server if your admin but it gives you the fps on screen.It'l be interesting to see if the servers are causing the probs when getting to like 101% cpu usage, if this is the case then maybe a linux server running guru could get some logfile we could all have a look at. Im not sure about OFP but cs servers cap there rate to stop cable isdn users hogging all bandwidth with a maxrate 6000 command in there config, anyone running a server i would recommend capping your rate pretty low anyway just for playability/ server stability. I'll find that list of commands and set my system 2 as host and monitor some stuff my self, meanwhile all try putting a low cap on rate and monitor those fps.

Solution never? I hear you all ask, i just checked 1 last thing, the location of my driver for my pci asuscom card, i put it a little nearer the kernel rather than on drive D:. I put in in my windows directory and have just played non stop for like 2hrs, could we all plz put our drivers on drive C: in the windows folder,i know it means reinstalling your modem drivers but hell it worked all night for me and yeah i had yellow boxes countless times per coop[busy map] round but it never dropped once, try that in your pipes and get a lungfull.By the way if this works for you as well a thank you wouldnt go a miss, including BIS.

I have nearly no clue what you're talking about  smile.gif. The only thing I know is that I don't have any modem drivers to install but some except drivers for my network card wich is automaticaly installed when I installed winXP. I guess it was installed in C:\windows when it installed it automaticaly.

I had not that much trouble lately (using the IE trick) except crashing my car in a tree when the connection works again. I have been playing more and more Raven Shield lately because of this (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! ). Gotta fix that soon or at least hear good news from someone *cough*BIS*cough* other than mrlogik. Even if we all appreciate your hard work on this it would still be nice to hear that it will be fixed in next patch. This said the computer illiterate stop loosing their hair with all these workarounds attemps . biggrin.gif

I actually PM'd Suma to see if he could possibly spend some time looking at this..

Doesn't look like it worked..  confused.gif

Since i reinstalled the asuscom driver in the windows directory on drive C: i have not had 1 single drop, yellow triangles yeah but no connection lost.Previous is was on D:[multi partition system, handy when you reinstall windows],it seems win2k looks after apps and drivers in that location preferentially to keep itself more stable i would think.

6 pages down, time to bump again wink.gif.

I see quite a lot of people who didnt post here yet that have connection lost often so I think it's a good idea to bump it again.

I hate it. Just got a timeout after a nice game of 24 minutes again. I demand a fix for this. It is really annoying. From a teammate in gamevoice I know that two more people got the xyz is loosing connection message right with me. So it definetly has something to do with OFP. Afterall my voice programm held the connection. Also, I didn't get a timeout in IRC, either.

BIS, please work out a fix. In every missions I play there are several people getting connection lost messages. My guess is that most of them are experiencing this timeout bug. mad.gif

Yes, that bug is pretty annoying if you play a 1h match of BF1985 and after 30minutes 4-5 players already lost connection.

The most annoying thing however, is the lack of acknowledgement from behalf of BIS. At least they could say that what they know about this problem if they have a vague guess what might be the reason for all those masses of timeouts.

So, BIS? mad.gif

I did a small test last night.

I played a simple no addons needed coop map with 2 other 1mb connected ppl on a fellow 1mb broadband connection hosts's pc..

2-3 ppl about 30 mins into the game received xxx is loosing connection.. I got the dreaded yellow/red boxes myself, alt-tabbed and opened up IE, then receieved the ... is loosing connection message..

I then tried joining a battlefield 1942 server in the USA (i'm in UK).. I played constantly for 3 hours and did I once get any lag or problem? Nope.. confused.gif

Seems its gotta be the 1.91 patch that has bad netcode or somethign..

The fact that BIS arent supporting it anymore (1.91 last patch?) doesn't fill me with much confidence of this problem getting finally sorted.. sad.gif