Sign in to follow this  
*QcEP*BlackHawk

Connection lost...

I keep getting disconnected nearly each game I play in resistance, I mean like 80% + games I play I loose connection. I don't have and never had any problems with 1.46 (no problem with any other game either).

I tried in 1.90 and 1.91 both do the same thing. I didn't try 1.85 but I'm sure it wont change anything.

I just reinstalled windows, ofp, res, etc because I changed mobo so I tought it could help but same thing as it was  mad.gif.

What happens is about 95% of the time if I ever see the yellow square connection indicator it turns red and then no message received for ** seconds. Only exception to that is when it shows up while loading.

Sytem specs:

- MSI kt3 ultra2

-AMD XP 1800 @ 1700mhz

-512mb ddr333 mhz

-gf4 ti4200 @ 308/565

-SB audigy

(all very well cooled of course...)

-Win XP pro

-SMC router (with my computer set to DMZ host.)

Someone plz help me, I'd just like to be able to finish more than a game out of 20 for once wink.gif.

Hi m8, i get exactly the same prob, perfect gameplay and a low ping till all of a sudden red light and connection lost mssg, i know how you feel its real pisser.I have low pings in all other games with asuscom isdn card and freesereve as my isp[same?]. Hoping we can sort this?

I tought I might add...

-SMC 10/100mb PCI card

-cable modem

We don't have the same ISP, I'm on Videotron cable (it's getting crappier but it's not related). It's not ISP related I'm sure of that.

What I tought of was my crappy router, router or guess what... I'm gonna try connecting my computer directly into the cable modem to see what it does. Even if it could work I shouldn't have to do this since it worked in 1.46.

Maybe someone at BIS should look into this, I'm sure were more than 2 having this problem... I see quite often messages like ******** is loosing connection. I think farmcoot[sHoP] has the same problem but I didn't really talked with him about that. So now were 3, is it enough to do something about it smile.gif.

If there is already a way to fix this well shouldn't it be posted in troubleshooting faq? I'm sure were not only 2-3 who are getting pissed off by this.

First i thought it was my isp, some sort of packet overload or something causing a flood,then i thought maybe some sort of driver error or screensaver cutting in, or even isp idle on the port ofp uses?

Its so weird how it can play so well with a low ping and then just phut"no message recieved for 10 seconds", even typing the words makes me cringe. Im glad i erradictated the isp from the equation as there service for other games and web browsing is excellent.

Trouble is were do we go from here confused.gif I guess more people reading this with connection dropping may shed some light, the more we post the more popular/interesting the thread will look smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (*QcEP*BlackHawk @ Jan. 28 2003,14:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I tought I might add...

-SMC 10/100mb PCI card

-cable modem

We don't have the same ISP, I'm on Videotron cable (it's getting crappier but it's not related). It's not ISP related I'm sure of that.

What I tought of was my crappy router, router or guess what... I'm gonna try connecting my computer directly into the cable modem to see what it does. Even if it could work I shouldn't have to do this since it worked in 1.46.

Maybe someone at BIS should look into this, I'm sure were more than 2 having this problem... I see quite often messages like ******** is loosing connection. I think farmcoot[sHoP] has the same problem but I didn't really talked with him about that. So now were 3, is it enough to do something about it smile.gif.

If there is already a way to fix this well shouldn't it be posted in troubleshooting faq? I'm sure were not only 2-3 who are getting pissed off by this.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes I have the same problem. i can play maybe one whole game, then after that it's a guessing game when I will lose connection. I think my problem may be router related. I had a Linksys router. I had read that Linksys routers were total crap and that they had a tendency to drop packets, at that time I was having serious lag issues so I purchased a Netgear router and now im starting to have connection lost issues. I figured out that my lag problems were immenating from my roomates use of Kazaa( f****** s***). I didn't have connection lost issues with the Linksys router. I think i'm gonna switch back ot the Linksys to see if the Netgear router is the problem. I know several ppl(m0~ being one of them) that has the same problem and he also have the exact same Netgear router.

I will post the results.

crazy.gif

Yes, I experience the very same thing since the last or previous patch. It's kinda annoying to eventually got the mission loading with 20 or more players and enjoy the first couple of minutes and then out of a sudden get the yellow and shortly afterwards the red square appears. It certainly IS very frustrating. Also, there seems to be some sort of pattern, as many people get the timeout at the same time or shortly after each other. At first I though that it might be my crappy ISP, but I start to believe that it is 1.91beta or 1.90 related.

Is there any official word, if this is indeed a known or even already tracked down bug?

confused.gif

Yesterday I was able to play several hours without getting disconnected but I don't know exactly how much time. I'd say it was about 2-3 hours.

I played big games on BF1985 some co-ops with a fair amount of ppl and it went fine.

I tought that I would have to pay back sometime later for the games I was able to play and I had to smile.gif. We were only 3-4 playing a small co-op on SHoP and I was getting disconnected every 5 minutes or less.

This is weird I didn't change anything in my network setup. It's now even more unclear what is the problem... Hope someone will find how to fix it soon enough cuz resistance is eventualy gonna suck sad.gif (at least for those who have that problem).

Well, I had that same thing happen to me. Drove me nuts till I figured out what it was. (at least in my case) Seems the patches realy changed things around for the game exe as far as firewalls are concerned. At first- i couldnt connect mp at all- turns out the exe had changed and my FW wasnt recognizing it anymore- easy enough/add it to permissions. Then almost 4 of 5 games i would get connection lost just like u guys. I discovered it was my FW again. I could play through it(fw)- but after a amount of time-was like connection fell asleep. Reason I say that is if i got no message received for xxx redbox- I could alt tab out, hit IE and open a webpage, then go back into the game and %100 of the time was back into playing. So now when I play- I turn off Fire Wall and have had not 1 single time of red box of doom again.

If you are playing through a FW-this might be something you want to check out- if not, try the alt-tab and open web browser thing and maybe it works for u also?

Hope this maybe helped someone-PEACE! biggrin.gif

I'm using a firewall but I don't understand why it would cause this but I guess I could try turning it off even if I don't like to do this... My ISP gives me an IP that almost never change so ppl who have nothing to do can try hacking my computer if I turn it off. It happened before luckily I was there when it happened so the hacker was not able to do any real damage.

One thing is sure is that I'm gonna try that IE thing, hope it'll work.

I've been testing that IE thing and it seems to work I don't know why tough... Maybe it's a coincidence but I had many yellow squares and only got disconnected once.

I will check my fwall as i cant remember checking the exe being renamed from versions previous of ofp,if this is the case then thanks all we have the solution, il get back when tested !

Well my firewall is not a problem it always notices exe's being renamed and prompts me to verify wichever game is updated.Upon the connection being lost it totally drops my net connection even when leaving game i cannot access a web page or ping an ip, the terminal is still showing on toolbar to say your connected but alas all i can do is reconnect by disconnecting and reconnecting, most infuriating!

Just to confirm others experiences.

I'm connected through ADSL, using the v1.91 beta, with Zone Alarm firewall on Windows XP Pro.

My ping to the "IM SWEC" server is usually around 10 ms.

I get "loosing connection" from time to time, but the ALT-Tab IE trick has worked fine since v1.90 at least, but also had me killed a number of times... wink.gif

/Happy

I find it hard to believe that alt tabbin out and accessing something else should keep the connection alive? Especially considering you guys are using BBand, maybe on dial up yeah if the isp wasnt monitoring that port for activity and they used some sort of 10 minute inactive cut off. But hey if it does work then someone write a script to ping an ip like clarity.jolt.co.uk every 2 mins and the problem is solved? BTW surely this is the makers problem if clients are being dropped due to being inactive, come on BIS sort it out!

I don't see why the game should be responsible for keeping a link alive while you aren't actually in the game.

The problem is with the ISP's crummy policy to terminate idle connections too quickly. Then again, if you could get off PPPoE, you wouldn't have this problem, period.

My ISP connection is never killed. I don't have to connect to the ISP server when I boot my computer. My modem connected 24/7 just waiting for me to use it. In my case it has no relation with this.

It's not doing it in 1.46 and - and I still had my router back then when I was playing this version. There is a real problem there, with the game.

Well, as I said earlier for me- is only when playing through my FW that it has these probs- never had an issue for last 1-1 1/2 years with any other vs till 1.90 patch. Now- if I turn FW off- i have no probs at all. I have cable and it doesnt lose the connection at all- is the game thinking it has lost connection through FW for weird reason. I thought I was the only 1 but seems not- BIS changed something in that patch that doesnt seem to agree with FW's for whatever reason.

crazy.gif

This problem has also crept into my ofp gameplay, either LAN or M/P running 1.90 or 1.91 no addons.

This was also with FW on and off.  confused.gif  

Sent necessary info to BIS support will try the alt tab work around for now, cheers if it works for me.

I have 1MB Cablemodem on a quite good ISP.. I play regulalry with friends, and always have a ping less than 60... I have no problems with any other online games.. Yet I only last approx 30 mins or so with 1.91 before I get the yellow box then almost soon after the dreaded red box.. I don't even get the ... is loosing connection.. (Its spelt LOSING btw wink.gif )

I have NEVER had any problems whatsoever with Flashpoint so I'm guessing it's a 1.91 problem..

Any ideas BIS???

Problem solved people, hoo frikin ray, i was right about the cpu and memory usage and my poor asus com pci card for isdn getting a little left out by the game engine. Ive been testing for last 2 hrs with my main pooter with the isdn card in just set up as router for my other machine[a real old duron 750/vd3] and it played faultless all night. You will find that most routers/cards for your net connection rely on your systems cpu for some of there power[hence some routers or cards and usb modems in particular], are a lot cheaper than others. When an intense game like ofp runs it can effect there performance in a big way as your router/hub/card is doing its work in software more so than an expensive hardware solution. This is probably why it affects certain people and others not at all.

Thats good news, but still I feel that it has something to do with 1.91.

I've had a 512k Cablemodem connection since 1.46 and never had a problem being disconnected.  I've since upgraded to 1MB.

You'd think having double the connection would certainly eliminate any problems, not make it worse!  confused.gif

The thing is no matter what your connection if the card/hub router is using your cpu's power and ofp is doing a large drain on it you will get connection lost message. Some people have 56k modems wich never get the message[though a mighty high ping] as they have quality totally hardware modem. For me to get a quality isdn card wich is totally passive[non cpu using] i would need to spend like Å200 for a eicon diva pro card or a quality router. I know i can get a good router for isdn from ebay very cheaply but i havent a clue wich is best. It all boils down to wich chipset is in your card or adaptor for isdn/adsl/cable, you can normally tell from the manafacturers spec or manual, ie connexant/rockwell /motorola texas, if it turns out its doing a lot of its work in software the intense games like ofp will ruin your pings and maybe give you the dreaded connection lost. It would probably help for anyone getting the connection lost message to find out wich chipset they have and do a google search with its name and model number and get as much inf on it as they can,if its no good flog it and get a fully hardware solution.Oh and by the way usb with isdn adaptors normally = higher pings as usb also likes a slice of cpu : (

Hope this helps others who had my prob, now for some lag free ofp : )

mrlogik, if you are using an NT-based OS (2000 or XP), make sure you optimize the system performance for background processes instead of applications.

Otherwise, OFP will get a slight performance boost from the process scheduler, which may starve the ISDN modem driver of the CPU attention it needs.

To check or change the setting, go into Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Performance.

Hmm I tried somethign interesting last night which has already been mentioned on this forum...

I got the usual Yellow box followed by Red Box, and 'No message received' for about 20 seconds.. This usually gets to about 70-80 seconds then its back to the flashpoint main menu.... mad.gif

Now.. I got to about 20 seconds, Alt tabbed out, opened IE and browsed to Google..then went back to flashpoint not expecting much.. Next minute, I was back in game, and the following message appeared.. 'Ash is loosing connection'...

The Yellow box disappeared, and everything was fine! crazy.gif

Now I'm on a 1MB Broadband connection.. You cannot possibly say it's my connection! crazy.gif

PLEASE BIS.. Can we have a possible clue as to what is going on?  It happens when I launch from Gamespy, or from IP (sockets or Directplay)..  I also know a few other people on 1MB connection who are having EXACTLY the same problems as I am!  sad.gif