slipstream21

Steam VR compatible?

I now have Arma III running to an acceptable level in VR (Pimax 5K+) utilising Vorpx. Max res utilising an RTX 2080 TI. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WFH has given me some spare time and I have successfully put together a POOR MAN's VR for ARMA 3!  

Thank Jebus for no travelling, not waiting to for colleagues to get their act together for meetings, no long lunches, etc...

I am using:

Trinus CardBoard on PC and Android Phone - You can test this for about 15 minutes before it stops and forces you to restart. Buy it if you like it, but do demo it first.

FreeTrackNoIR for head movement - the built in TrackIR and FreeTrack Trinus CB is not detecting

I am using an older 1.7 free version.

The newer 2.x is for pay as the author needs medical attention.

Try and buy it if you like it.

I tried OpenTrack with FreePieCapture but sensor readings were "floating" or "ghosting".

If I can get it to work, I will post an update.

USB C cable to tether - I need to move the PC to the SAME WIFI SUBNET for wireless but limited to 100 Mbps (enough for VR, but slower than my internet).

6.7" Android phone with 1920x1080 IPS LCD screen. It should look better with OLED screens.

VRG Pro VR goggle case in white with  blue lens filter / coating - the lens are OK, not great but it was cheap ~ 8 USD shipped.

Install Trinus CB on Android phone

Enable USB cable tether

Plug in USB cable to Android phone and PC

Setup Trinus CB on PC as

Create a profile named ARMA or leave as default if all you use it for is ARMA

My Trinus CB PC settings:

Main settings:

trinusmain.jpg

Hi quality settings. Lower the compression to the LEFT if your PC is slow or you want higher FPS. I do it manually to keep a fixed quality.

You can set it to AUTO for testing.

I set sensor to FreeTrackNOIR so the "HEAD" moves independant of the "HANDS / GUN".

If you want to use the SAME head movement as your hands, just set SENSOR to AUTO or MOUSE.

Video settings:

trinusvideo.jpg

Sensor settings:trinussensor.jpg

Under sensitivity, set it lower if you will want to use FreeTrackNoIR or OpenTrack.

I would increase it by  SENSITIVITY (Below) 10 notches if you want the  Android phone sensor to send mouse look signals to the game.  Set it to AUTO or MOUSE mode, works great but it duplicates the same look movement as mouse.

FreeTrackNoIR settings :

Free-Track-No-IR-ARMA-3-settings.jpg

I use this to PASS the TrinusCB motion sensor to FreeTrackNoIR which then PASSES the FreeTrack signal to ARMA 3 for head tracking.

Set this to READ UDP packets from TrinusCB under Tracker SENSOR SOURCE:

Set the PORT number under settings to +1 of whatever TrinusCB is.

TrinuCB by default READS the Android sensor on PORT 5555 (under NETWORK)

Set FaceTrackNoIR to read port 5556

Under Filter, I would set it to NONE or non accel. It moves too fast until I can get used to it. In aove, I am trying the EWMA filter. You can change these on the fly.

Game Protocol is the OUTPUT that ARMA can read. 

Set it to FreeTrack 2.0

Under Smoothing, I increased it a little bit so it doesn't jump around. Play with it to adjust the settings.

Under Invert, I had to FLIP the YAW otherwise, I would be face to face with my character in ARMA three, instead of behind him or facing where he is facing.

Now START the apps in this order:

Plug in Android mobile into PC with USB cable

Set the USB Cable to Tether mode

Start Trinus CB

At htis point, I put my phone into the VR goggle, but leave it sticking out in case  I need to re-start Trinus CB again

Start Trinus CB on PC

Start FreeTrackNoIR

Move the goggles around slightly. 

You should see FreeTrackNoIR reading the TrinusCB pass through sensors from the Android mobile on the top left.

Start ARMA 3

Once in the main game menu, goto GAME settings

Under devices, on the left, clock on FreeTrackIR or TrackIR and ENABLE it.

arma-controls.jpg

arma-controls2.jpgarma-enable-trackir.jpg

Mine were enabled above already. It might be faded out, so click it, then click enable on the bottom.

MAP the FreeTrackNoIR sensor readings to head movement as follows:

arma-enable-head-look.jpg

Lastly, set the video settings to Fullscreen Window so Trinus CB and stream the video the Android mobile as VR goggle view:

arma-vr-video-capture.jpg

I get some distortion as my mobile only has a 1920x1080 screen.

VR HALVES the screens, for left and right eye with slightly different views.

I should probably set the in game resolution to HALF that, so it becomes 1:1 pixel wise per EYE.

But it is fairly sharp.

If you find it too slow, either lower your in game video settings OR lower the compression quality in TrinusCB to get an acceptable quality vs speed.

For Ravage or horror survival, it is crazy immersive. 

I've been playing all the horror mods and missions with this.

Amazing for the low costs.

7 hours ago, slipstream21 said:

I now have Arma III running to an acceptable level in VR (Pimax 5K+) utilising Vorpx. Max res utilising an RTX 2080 TI. 

I would love to hear your write up about this. After doing the above, I think VR is the way to go. It is amazing in ARMA.

On 10/26/2020 at 4:03 AM, Valken said:

I would love to hear your write up about this. After doing the above, I think VR is the way to go. It is amazing in ARMA.

I certainly will. Work has gotten in the way but as soon as I have tweaked all of the settings I will report back. 

With the recent release of the Quest 2 from Oculus, VR appears to be going more mainstream (high-spec VR drops to 300$ - Facebook registration).

So, has anyone tried running A3 on a Quest 2?