kaleb c0d3

MOD development cycle

Sup all. I've got a question that is floating around my head for so long... How do you develop a mod? I mean, what's your development cycle?

In my case, I do this:

A. Start with a empty mission (VR generally), and throw/test some scripts.

B. Transform that scripts into compiled functions, with their corresponding Cfg class.

C. Make them a module to use directly from the editor (EDEN).

My problem is that at step C, I usually do this:

1. compile the code into a mod

2. open Arma 3

3. test

4. get the bugs

5. close Arma 3

6. patch code

7. repeat

I'm sure that I am doing it wrong... it's very annoying to open/close Arma 3 in every code iteration, more if i'm trying & testing to figure out some nasty bug.

Any advice about impoving that cycle?
Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, wogz187 said:

@kaleb c0d3,

alt+tab?

Have fun!

I've thought that if you're programming a mod, the mod gets loaded at Arma start, and cannot be modified until the game is closed (the Arma process has a open file handler onto the mod files). 
I mean.. can you recompile a mod without closing Arma? If that's the case, it will be the solution (I have in mind that you cannot do that, but I may be wrong).

@kaleb c0d3,
Ah, I see. You're probably right. If the mod is loaded at start up then loading a new iteration would require restart.

Have fun!

- console, true trigger(s) for any script (mind for comment lines if any)

- copy/paste sqfs from mission folder to another one

- your cfgFunctions in a description.ext. That doesn't hurt

- local mod before any release on Steam. Mind for the paths in config.cpp, custom.hpp,  if different addon names.

• Like 1

Filepatching enabled and your mod folder symbolically linked to arma3 folder with "recompile = 1;" for the script you want to reload allows you make changes without restarting arma. I'm using this for my mod that my mission needs (linking to mod files from mission) and it sure does save time. For pure mod it maybe different though...