Ex3B

Does the Jets DLC wing fold system work on helicopters?

Basically, you are not going to have animated wheels on a helicopter that inherits its class from, for example skids equipped MH-9. So, my gut tells me - no, most likely it won't work unless the helo would be of a plane class.

What do wheel animations have to do with a function that plays an animation when a speed threshold is reached?

Well, nothing. It's more about config inheritance and what is standing behind it at the game engine level. My understanding was you want to use the function in a helo's config definition of "class AircraftAutomatedSystems". Perhaps, use of such function is allowed only with the Plane class, similiar to DynamicPayload or PhysX functionalities that were limited to specific classes. As I said, it's just my guesswork, and what's more, you've already answered yourself, so good luck 😉  

2 hours ago, NightIntruder said:

My understanding was you want to use the function in a helo's config definition of "class AircraftAutomatedSystems".

Yes

Perhaps, use of such function is allowed only with the Plane class, similiar to DynamicPayload or PhysX functionalities that were limited to specific classes. As I said, it's just my guesswork,

So, in short, your answer is maybe yes, maybe no?

and what's more, you've already answered yourself, so good luck 😉  

Ummm, I don't think I have. I have much less time now to try these things (4.5mo son), so I would like to know if it's possible before investing the time

Yes, my answer is - maybe yes, maybe no. So no real meaning to you, if you wish.
On the other hand, testing such solution would take 15mins - adding config and model.cfg entries and one visible bone in ResLOD, binarize the addon and voila. Whether such solution would be immersive or not is completely different story. I like how the RHS did it in their CH53.

I re-thought my initial assumptions regarding the problem. The function won't work out of the box, as I recon now. Some additional scripting will be required as the rotors don't have "reference points". Their animPhase = 0 will always be in the direction the rotors stopped. So you cannot just rotate them back to their initial position and then fold them. And since rotors tend to stop rotating at different angle every time, you must employ some scripting kung-fu, there's no other way.
PS. Oh, this is valid as long as you want to fold rotors in the way Lynx, Dauphin, Merlin and most of sea-helos are doing it. Any futuristic way ie. scissors-, or concertina-like may possibly work in saving some space on a deck.

On 10/17/2020 at 2:33 PM, ANZACSAS Steven said:

Arma 2 had the ability to fold rotors on the marines heli's.Dunno if that helps..

🙂

Indeed, H-53 pack by gachopin had that ability. SH60 pack by Yura Petrov had it as well. Both solutions were scripted ones, as far as I know. Sadly, we were forced to remove the H60 from our modpack due to considerable FPS drops when folding/spreading action was taken during MP session.