Sign in to follow this  
unclechuckie

Who's shooting?

New to Arma3 (Arma2 Vet) and completely confused.  I'm in single player, creating missions in the editor.  I kill all of the opfor (remember I know how many there are) and as soon as I shoot the last one, BAM, I get shot.  I don't understand it.  Any thoughts?

Only thing I can come up with is you've perhaps shot several friendlies and/or civilians and the remaining units on your side have turned on you and killed you.

Maybe you miscounted? Probably not. Sounds odd, share your mission file.

I thought about civilians but I set up a real simple mission to try and figure it out, 2 opfor, out in the open, no one else around.  It's almost like the AI just chooses to end the mission that way.  Not like I'm playing for points or anything, but I had such big plans for the victory parade.  I also noticed that on the "you died" end screen it always seems like it lists a member from my team an the ENY (?), haven't been able to figure out what that means.

And under the category of "it's better to be lucky than good", it looks like making at least 1 other team member playable, and switching to that gun for the "final takedown", the AI doesn't feel compelled to kill the team leader.  Tried it two on two, now going to try something a bit larger.  Anyway, thanks for the responses.

And we're back.  Don't want to violate any rules about profanity, so hopefully you know what SSDD means.  Tried jumping around through playable characters, still managed to get killed.  I've got their ability set as low as you can go, and their mode as careless.  In theory I should be able to go and beat them  to death with a stick with no problem.  And as a bonus, I've been using my sniper and sharpshooter from long range, picking off anybody with a long gun, leaving guys with short range pistols and SMG's for last.  Still doesn't help.  Very frustrating.

On 10/9/2020 at 1:26 PM, Harzach said:

share your mission file

Excuse the ignorance, I'm not that computer savvy, that's why I have kids.  Exactly how do you share the file (I think I remember something such as post to steam).  Again, appreciate the response

Now I know what's happening, but I don't know why.  Set up a small, simple mission to see if anything jumped out at me.  The good guys....4 man sniper team, all playable.  The bad guys, 3 bandits with minimal equipment.  Sniper and spotter up on the hill in the rocks, other two posted as security in the blind spots (just like we used to do in RL).  BAM, BAM, BAM, say goodnight Gracie, all the bad guys are gone.  Now the spotter says "engage sniper" and one of the team members shot me.  Wonder if they were pissed because I had all the fun?

10 minutes ago, unclechuckie said:

Now I know what's happening, but I don't know why.  Set up a small, simple mission to see if anything jumped out at me.  The good guys....4 man sniper team, all playable.  The bad guys, 3 bandits with minimal equipment.  Sniper and spotter up on the hill in the rocks, other two posted as security in the blind spots (just like we used to do in RL).  BAM, BAM, BAM, say goodnight Gracie, all the bad guys are gone.  Now the spotter says "engage sniper" and one of the team members shot me.  Wonder if they were pissed because I had all the fun?

Sorry but this kind of replay doesnt help anyone help you with why your team is committing friendly fire. Go into your Documents/Arma 3/ Missions folder and find the name of the mission this is and host that somewhere like dropbox or google drive so we can have a look. Theres obviously something else happening that maybe your forgetting to share thats causing this

53 minutes ago, unclechuckie said:

Now the spotter says "engage sniper" and one of the team members shot me.  Wonder if they were pissed because I had all the fun?

Sounds to me like your bad guys are on the same side as you in other words are allied with your side, after shooting

3 friendlies your own people will shoot you.

What do you have your allegiance set to in the editor?

Go to here ----> Attributes -----> General

then go to bottom of that screen and you see the box with the blue and red, one is a handshake or crossing swords which means combat.

At the left to those boxes it says Independent allegiance then you click on either blufor (left box blue color) or Opfor (right red box).

If blufor box (blue) is a handshake it means independent is allegiance to them, or allied (friendly), same for Opfor, if crossing swords with bluefor or Opfor, then

they are your enemy.

• Like 1

Thanks, that's the most sensible explanation I've gotten.  I know everyone is trying their best to be helpful, but they seem to go for the most complex or unlikely options.  BTW just ran a squad level mission with the attributes set for do not fire unless fired upon, and that looked like it worked.  Everybody was playable, and I had them spread out in good cover, just hopped guy to guy and took my shots.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, unclechuckie said:

Thanks, that's the most sensible explanation I've gotten.  I know everyone is trying their best to be helpful, but they seem to go for the most complex or unlikely options

The reason for this is that there are many, many variables that could be taking place for example -what sides are you using? Any mods... etc etc and since you arent relaying this information people are offering to look inside your mission for you to determine whats going on. You gotta give up the details man if you want the help

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, froggyluv said:

what sides are you using? Any mods... etc etc

I agree, good guys could be CSAT or Independent guerillas, bad guys based on context of the situation or plot of the mission if you will could make the

Blufor the bad guys.    As unclechuckie had mentioned in his OP about killing all the OPFOR gives me an idea that hes either playing as independent, or Blufor.

So more details as to what units he's playing with which will determine the side hes on, and who independent is allied too, and

lets throw in a question about if hes using any mods for factions too.

Thanks again.  Gunter's suggestion regarding affiliations seems to have solved the issue.  For the record, no mods were used or injured during the production of these missions.  Will move onto some more complex missions to see if they hold up.