avibird 1

Need help to build a new pc for Arma3/Arma4

So I would like suggestions on a new Arma3/Arma4 custom built around 1500 US dollars. My last build was around 2011. This is my current PC setup.

1 x ($74.99) PSU ANTEC|EA650 RT

$74.99

1 x ($59.95) CASE ANTEC|THREE HUNDRED BK RT

$59.95

1 x ($19.99) DVD BURNER SONY | AD-7260S-0B % - OEM

$19.99

1 x ($64.99) HD 640G|WD WD6401AALS % - OEM

$64.99

1 x ($224.99) CPU INTEL|CORE I5 2500K 3.3G 6M R

$224.99

1 x ($279.99) VGA XFX HD-587X-ZNFC HD5870 1GB R

$279.99

1 x ($159.99) MB GIGABYTE|GA-P67A-UD3P P67 1155 R

$159.99

1 x ($139.99) MEM 4Gx2|CORSAIR CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8

$139.99

Shipping and Handling: $15.21
Total Amount: $1040.09

Arma2 FPS was good in the mid 40's

Arma3 low 20 to high teens I was fine but now I am below 10fps most of the time and I can't take it anymore. 

Whats wrong with this thread? I mean you've been around long enough...

While Arma 3 is quite CPU demanding, yes, that 5870 is pretty weak. I've have a bit newer i5-4570 and few years ago, just before whole mining fiasco, got a 3GB 1060. I'm averaging ~45 FPS in Old Man for example with mins around 35 in extreme weather and combat. Thats at 1200p, medium settings on average lets say and ~1k vd.

No point in planning anything for Arma 4 now, its pretty much safe to say you're gonna regret it. Whenever that is. It's perhaps worth considering getting a better GPU for 150-200€ and if at all possible, more memory. I don't see a SSD on the list you posted (I may be blind at the moment) but seeing you spend time in editing section, strap one in your case. It wont wildly improve performance but trust me, you'll want to have your OS, Arma and terrain mods on it.

But if you are set on building a new system, AMD is revealing their new gen Ryzen CPUs later this month I think and new GPUs in November if I remember correctly. Seeing what you've been running up until now, their CPUs in particular might be right up your alley.

Not sure how savvy you are in this area but you also want to have really good air flow to keep your temps and radiation output in check. There is a lot of choice regarding case and cooling solutions these days and you can get f-d pretty quick.

There is tons about this on YT, among other sources, but I found this guy to be quite informative and also keeping elitism at minimum but its up to you.

JayzTwoCents, maybe Linus or Steve, sometimes YT recommends something useful but generally search engine bar is your friend once you know what to look for.

@Janez to be quite honest with you I forgot about it and I was really looking for people's insight possible hardware for arma4. I know that's impossible cuz we don't really know about the new engine and what Bohemia is really thinking?  Will the next engine utilize more cores and be better optimized. With that said. I got my FPS back to my 10-12 I know it sucks ass but I am an old OFP player and I can play with that it for the most part. I spend most of my time in the editor fucking around and making missions I never really play in big multiplayer servers. I don't have the time to play with others because of real life. As my name suggests I have a bird 🐦 and multiple dogs. I have not cleaned out my PC with air duster in a while and had probably a half of a bird sucked into my PC lol.  Still pondering about upgrading or just waiting for arma4 specs to come out. Hard decision to drop $1,500 now and it's not above average for  arma4. I would be extremely frustrated and unhappy with that decision. AVIBIRD