Im using my own custom jpegs on billboards and other objects, 

They all seem to have the same sort of problem, which is they dont all load until you get within about 2 metres of the object, once they have loaded then its fine they stay loaded.

Its just a bit weird that they dont all load up at mission start. Its a bit of a nuisance my mission requires some of the textures to be visible without having to get so close to them, ie custom uniforms on an enemy far away. or billboards a block away, you first have to walk right up to them to have them load.. you can imagine this is kind of useless...

Im currently using this in the init field of the object, which are banners, billboards, and customizing uniforms..

this setObjectTextureGlobal [0,"name.jpg"];

I dont think its the format ie paa or jpeg thats the problem as ive tried with paa and still same issue. 

Ive tried lowering the resolution same issue. 

Thanks 🙂

Edited by chrisbaker1981

Are the textures set to dimensions with ^2 i.e. 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048 etc? Might be a LOD issue of the objects themselves, but I doubt it else others would have the same issue...

• Like 1

Try converting the images to .paa format; use Arma Tools to do it. YouTube videos explain it better.

• Like 1

I have the same thing happen, except that I'm going through the vehicle config files and grabbing displayPictures (or editor previews i think, actually). Not a game breaker in my case but it's not ideal that's for sure. I also find that focusing/zooming in on the objects loads the image too. 

Thanks for the replies

@Jackal326 do you mean width double the height? Ive tried that and doesnt solve it so just leaving them as is...

@phronk  I did use arma tools to convert to paa and it doesnt solve it..

@beno_83au  I find zooming in sometimes helps but most of the time it doesnt, i guess its just the engine and no way round it 😞

Perhaps i should  change the proportions and set to paa and see if that helps.. Gonna do that now. 

Its not consistent either, sometimes some of the images load, sometimes none, sometimes different ones load... so i cant even see whats making some load immediately and others not as nothing consistent there.. I must admit though as soon as i start playing around with customization thats when things get frustrating, the same thing with custom sounds, they work fine then suddenly play at a fraction of the intended volume almost inaudible, then next time i load the editor they play fine again.. Its a pity some of these features are not standard options in EDEN...

In my experience, .jpg images load slower and have limitations (such as distance), which is exaggerated further if your Textures setting is lower. To ensure it's all set, resize the image to have dimensions like Jackal proposed, convert it to a .paa, and then the image should load more reliably.

As for the custom sounds, it depends how it's setup and used. If it's a static sound effect that you should hear anywhere, use say2D. If you want a 3D sound, it's better to play it from an inanimate object like an invisible helipad than a unit. Remember that sounds that are "said" via the say2D and say3D commands can be cancelled by killing the unit saying the sound or deleting the object.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phronk said:

In my experience, .jpg images load slower and have limitations (such as distance), which is exaggerated further if your Textures setting is lower. To ensure it's all set, resize the image to have dimensions like Jackal proposed, convert it to a .paa, and then the image should load more reliably.

As for the custom sounds, it depends how it's setup and used. If it's a static sound effect that you should hear anywhere, use say2D. If you want a 3D sound, it's better to play it from an inanimate object like an invisible helipad than a unit. Remember that sounds that are "said" via the say2D and say3D commands can be cancelled by killing the unit saying the sound or deleting the object.

Thanks yea im in the process of doing this, so the dimensions, do they have to be square? or can they be 512x1024 or 1024x2048 etc? as long as they are 512, 1024, 2048 etc?

Im using 3d sounds, ok i never thought of that, i usually use a pencil and just turn siimulation off and hide the object, but ill try using the invisible helipad for sure! thanks for that...

OK  so the dimensions is the issue 🙂 and no they dont have to be square as long as they are one of those dimensions as Jackal said. 

JPGS seem to be working fine but ill convert them when i have time just in case someone who plays the missions has issues...

Thanks A lot for the help eveyone!!! 🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, phronk said:

So ive replaced the pencils with helipads, well i guess a pencil is an inanimate object anyway. And i still get the problem every now and then.

Its too late in the evening for me to test this theory and im not too convinced it will be the problem, but wondering if the sound sometimes struggles if you activate the trigger whilst in 1st person in a vehicle.

I know 3d sounds play softer when you inside a building or even softer when you inside a vehicle in 1st person. Ive had it that some sounds dont play at all when you are in 1st person inside a vehicle. Perhaps it gets stuck sometimes and cant switch to its normal volume when you get out the vehicle. Im gonna test it properly when i have time and see. Will let you know 🙂 If it is the problem i can make the trigger a little away so you forced to get out the vehicle before you hear the sound, not ideal. Maybe there is a way to force the engine to just play your sounds at the specified volume no matter if you inside or outside a vehicle.

Could do a check if player is in FPS or TPS view and play a 2D sound if in first person, such as:

if(cameraView=="Internal" && (!(isNull(objectParent player))))then{

say2D

}else{

say3D};

8 hours ago, phronk said:

Could do a check if player is in FPS or TPS view and play a 2D sound if in first person, such as:

if(cameraView=="Internal" && (!(isNull(objectParent player))))then{

say2D

}else{

say3D};

Ook so my theory is correct, this is the problem, and explains a lot with my past problems with 3d sounds playing softly.

My 3d sounds have to be 3d whether you are in 1st or 3rd though so not sure, without using script i can just change the vehicle so you forced to sit in the back as a passenger, like a truck or something outside whether in 1st or 3rd you wil be classed as outside a building so should play full volume regardless... Or i will make the sound only start when player leaves the car..

The scenario is you arriving at an outdoor party with music playing from alittle way off when you arrive. WHen you get out the idea was the music is meant to already be playing a little way away, I will try sort something out. At least i now know what is causing the issue thats allways a good start!! 🙂 

• Like 1