TesACC

CSLA, its prognosed low sales and future of Creator DLC's

What is considered "good sales" for a CDLC - to have a reasonable return for the time invested (ie not below minimum wage)?

GM according to their own statement was done working almost two years full time - next to their normal full time job.

Both are professionals for VBS for many years as far as I know. 

Yes it's good to get recognition/return also in terms of payment for your work, yet I seriously doubt the return can match their job salary in any meaningful way.

I am sure they were aware of this likely outcome, as should be all our CDLC participants. However to state this is a financially successful outcome is very likely far from reality.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 6:58 PM, .kju said:

What is considered "good sales" for a CDLC - to have a reasonable return for the time invested (ie not below minimum wage)?

GM according to their own statement was done working almost two years full time - next to their normal full time job.

Both are professionals for VBS for many years as far as I know. 

Yes it's good to get recognition/return also in terms of payment for your work, yet I seriously doubt the return can match their job salary in any meaningful way.

I am sure they were aware of this likely outcome, as should be all our CDLC participants. However to state this is a financially successful outcome is very likely far from reality.

It depends on a number of factors
a. number of sales

b. price set (negotiated with BI - the % is non-negotiable though)

c. number of invested people that would share the profit somehow

d. time spent on stuff that might have little importance, but can increase workhours in a major way

So, GM, just like CSLA have been working in the background a bit before they applied for cDLC. So there was a start, there was some work already done.

It is definitely a higher risk involved, especially when you start from scratch, especially if you not have a good core-team

So while 100k @20€ retail price (35% = 7€ / cDLC going towards the developer = 700k before taxes) could be ok-ish for a team of 2 (GM case), might not even come close for a team of 40 people, especially since one cannot really push the retail price up indefinitely towards a full game release. Again, this is the best case scenario, but it isn't the realistic scenario considering a lot of the products sold are done under steam %sales

Let's assume there's the same 40 people that are going to equally share the profit (not really gonna happen equally anyways) for a DLC that has a retail price of 35€ (upper range if you ask me) that sold for 100k (so about 30k a person before taxes that can vary between 20% to 50% depending on country, annual income etc) for something that they have worked on for the past 2-3 years. Is that worth it? Not really sure, it depends on a number of personal factors really.

For most EU countries and US, especially for 3d artists and coders that can get some similar jobs, even freelance, is not really worth the time, considering there is no way to get the normal (average) rates, most likely half, if lucky.

Sure, if you are doing something else and this is a side gig of sorts (although you are expected to put weekly time in, will need to crunch, to respect deadlines etc, unlike modding side-gig by comparisson), or you aren't working (student etc), being unemployed or some stay-at -home dad or alike, sure, it's an extra that would otherwise be non-existent. 

You definitely can save some time and get away with a few things, like purchasing/licensing some of the content from 3rd party stores and get a jumpstart (although at times that can end up being more time consuming), but at the end of the day not everything can be sort of circumvented. 

But all of the above, both the terms of the cDLC deal with BI (price related, not % related), the number of people required/involved, the time spent and the risk involved for a game that is over 7 years old (while it does have a pretty stable monthly playerbase, it also has a lot less active annual base/purchases than 5 years ago = potential customers), together with the fact that most of the stuff is already available in one form or another for free in mods, has to be taken into account before embarking into this journey. Is it possible, surely is, but as i said in a previous post, 100k sales is optimistic, anything above 150k i think it is fantasy (my personal 2 cents based on all the information i have at this time).

Spam and Flame-baiting posts have been removed from the thread, lets keep this thread on topic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I for one am looking forward to returning back to the similar OFP era well sorta 

I'm definitely buying it and every right that Modders get something out of it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tyl3r99 said:

I for one am looking forward to returning back to the similar OFP era well sorta 

I'm definitely buying it and every right that Modders get something out of it.

I agree, as someone who was a very small part of an ArmA 2 modding team, I fully appreciate how much work is carried out by the main players of the modding group.