Rydygier

RINCEWINDER - Combat Effective Magick System [A3, 0.71]

RCW-Logo.jpg

Introduction

Become a Battle Mage! Show them, what the real power is with your magick! Turn modern battlefield into chaotic blaze of colors, sounds, smoke and mirrors. 

Video

Details

One of my oldest Arma 2 projects adapted into Arma 3. Note, I was a noob, when I was writing this, so the code may contain many dubious parts, but it works. It still may contain some loose ends and there's obviously space for improvements and expansions, therefore this is still tagged as beta. Further development, as usual, depends on user feedback intensity. 🙂

Addon version with default settings may be used to add magic users to any SP scenario. While it may break some scenarios (possibly in funny ways), dynamic, procedural kind of missions should work well with it (and become something quite different...). 

Addon version requires CBA.

Magic usage in game

Casting spells ability may be given to some of AI Team Leaders on the map, but also to the player. Player can open his spell book by holding pressed RMB while weapon is lowered (or player unarmed) and not prone nor using binoculars at the moment. Releasing RMB will confirm chosen spell to cast, if any was picked.

More details:

Online PDF manual

Download

Rincewinder 0.71 (Dropbox)

Rincewinder 0.71 (Steam Workshop)

Credits & licenses

Additional sound effects (edited) from:

1. http://soundbible.com/
By:
Mike Koenig, Zarabadeu, BlastWaveFX.com, Mark DiAngelo: Attribution 3.0 license

thecheeseman, wrzesien: Sampling Plus 1.0 license

Stephan Schutze, Doberman: Noncommercial 3.0 license

2. https://www.zapsplat.com
By:
ZapSplat, SmartSound, Silverplatter Audio: ZapSplat's standard license
Tom Chapman: CC0 1.0 Universal License

Authors of these sounds do not endorse nor support this project in any way.

Changelog

Spoiler

v0.71:

- spellbook GUI should not appear if: 1. the player is not a battle mage; 2. in the map view; 3. other custom user dialog is active.

v0.7:

- every spell reviewed, adjusted, changed, improved, bigger variety of booms added etc. ;

- if you have a spell selected (name is white) you can use mouse wheel to control, how much mana you wish to spend, this way you can amplify every spell, which in general means, it will do, whatever it does, longer, wider, brighter, stronger etc. but also it becomes harder to harness, which means a risk of not desired side effects like too wide spread, too early detonations, hostile to all creatures etc. Mage's experience will reduce that backfire. Details I'll leave to your experiments;

- most spells, that was producing some effect in the mage-centric area (meteor shower, ice storm, sky candle etc.) now by default are focused rather in the area roughly ahead of the player which should make them more tactically useful - easier to control, where the spell will be manifested, easier to avoid friendly fire or self-inflicted damage... Unless amplified too much;

- the most changed spell is airlift, now the broom (or the carpet if mage is CSAT) can be semi-controlled by mouse movements, but it is also "homing" towards clicked target position. Flight and effects rewritten;

- some changes in the spellbook GUI, mostly easier picking the target (less precision required);

- AI can amplify their spells too if they see fit, also now they are limited to mana level, which wasn't the case earlier; 

- new audiovisual effects/details accompanying some explosions, fire effects etc.

- earth elemental now can throw exploding rocks;

- dragons on the top of mundane weaponry got also actual fire breath attack; 

- additional, delayed explosion at BM's death spot, as requested, with small AI routine for near AIs, that may flee from the BM's body depending on various factors. Size of explosion should semi-randomly depend on BM's experience (potence);

- new config variable for adjusting general light effects brightness (RCW_BrightnessM, non-negative number, multiplier, 1 by default);

- AI spell casting choices routine rewritten in order to make AI BM's spell usage a bit more thoughtful (for example expect resistance spell to be usual first choice in danger...). 

v0.62:
- small fix in the code restoring proper spellbook GUI work after resuming saved game.

v0.61:

- userconfig replaced by CBA solution in game: CONFIGURE ADDONS button at init map screen;

- new init settings for experience gain rate and initial player level;

- improved compatibility with dynamic scenarios etc. (switching units, spawns mid-game, resuming saved game...);

- updated manual;

- various code improvements.

Terms of Use

Spoiler

Anybody can depack this addon and change my work for own needs, even release such changed version, as long proper credits are given: it is released under APL-SA license, except for the sounds, which may have own terms of use. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

YES!!!!!

You did it, you finally ported it!

Yay, f*cking awesome!

Missed this mod from arma2!

You plan on putting this on the workshop, after beta maybe?

• Like 1

Just now, Gunter Severloh said:

You plan on putting this on the workshop, after beta maybe?

Yes. In fact, I plan put this version too. It's beta, but seems stable enough. 

It supposed to be optional. Needed file is included in the dropbox package, content goes into userconfig folder located inside main Arma 3 main directory. I'll add this to the description...

EDIT: it seems to be mandatory anyway, separate link added to the description.

Pilgrimage will become PilgriMAGE

Awesome! Let´s just release the potential Harry Potter/Gandalf inside of us!

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, corporal_lib[br] said:

Pilgrimage will become PilgriMAGE

Ha ha, good one!

In fact I certainly plan to try both together (it was long since I actually play Pilgrimage...). 

Ahhh .. anything that references Sir Terry Pratchett is a win in my books ..... good job man !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rydygier said:

In fact I certainly plan to try both together (it was long since I actually play Pilgrimage...). 

And after short test it seems to work, for sure for the player... but as I see for example HWS specificity makes some adjustements in Rincewinder necessary. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rydygier said:

And after short test it seems to work, for sure for the player... but as I see for example HWS specificity makes some adjustements in Rincewinder necessary. 

Yeah, I´ve tried both yesterday (as my pun inspired me to play them combined) and it seems the script heavy Pilgrimage disables (or make it delay a LOT) when reloading - a pesky BRDM-1 killed me and as I´ve reload, so the UI loads but it doesn´t loads the grimoire (and the APC kepts killing me as I can´t summon Resistance lol) =(

So, just to clarify - when I start a procedural mission as Pilgrimage, the maigc works as intended, but if I save before a combat, die and reload this recent saved game, the UI loads, but there´s only a cross middle screen and no magic radial menu appears... =(  Normal,  light scripted missions have no issue on relaoding recent saved games 😃

So right now Rincewinder isn´t advisable on procedural mission (HWS, Pilgrimage, Evolution, Liberations, etc)

Updated to v0.61:

- userconfig replaced by CBA solution in game: CONFIGURE ADDONS button at init map screen;

- new init settings for experience gain rate and initial player level;

- improved compatibility with dynamic scenarios etc. (switching units, spawns mid-game, resuming saved game...);

- updated manual;

- various code improvements.

• Like 2

Updated to v0.62:
- small fix in the code restoring proper spellbook GUI work after resuming saved game.

• Like 2

Awesome witchcraft mod🧙‍♂️🧙‍♀️

Spoiler

the best part is being able to is fly on the magic broom.

what about adding a flying carpet in the future? (BI might be interested in contracting you for the Persian akelarre DLC,  or for "Arma4. take on magic wands".

Keep up the good work 😉

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, -=[BorZ]=- said:

what about adding a flying carpet in the future?

Well, if available, a carpet may replace a broom for CSAT mages, they're mostly Persians after all... 🙂

Hey Rydygier been messing with this, and wondering if certain spells are not working after the 2.0 update

i forget which ones exactly dont seem to work unless im not sure how they work but, the one spell with the helicopter dont seem to

appear or shall we say in magic materialize.

The Fireball spell worked once for me, i was level 5 with plenty of mana about 350+ after the character would go through the animation and

then nothing would happen.

I think the heli is the dragon, might require you to be level 6 if i understand that correctly.

An idea for when a mage is killed and they die with a crazy effect, i wonder if along with the current effect that a

damaging explosion could occur, like on the level of a gbu hitting the exact spot, or even artillery round, would make for an epic run for your life

hes going to go feeling, would be like something like from the movie predator where when it knows its going to die it self detonates with a small nuke.

Currently I'm finishing 0.7 update, all the spells reviewed, amplify functionality added (not sure, if for the AI too, maybe later, maybe now), enriched some FX and combat-effective aspects, anyway, these days I should spent on testing every spell one by one, so if anything doesn't work - I should spot this. The only thing, that I planned, but probably will not happen, is making light effects anyhow more prominent in daylight, there are serious complications with how the A3 engine handles this topic...

7 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

An idea for when a mage is killed and they die with a crazy effect, i wonder if along with the current effect that a

damaging explosion could occur, like on the level of a gbu hitting the exact spot, or even artillery round, would make for an epic run for your life

hes going to go feeling, would be like something like from the movie predator where when it knows its going to die it self detonates with a small nuke.

Haha, you don't need to convince me, that more explosions is good thing. I'm already adding more power of that sort to some spells, adding actual explosion to Battle Mage's (Magticians? Spelloperators? How this sound to native English ear? Other ideas anyone?) will be consistent. Of course need to be delayed, if near player should get any chance to run for his life...

• Like 1

I see, there may be still some work required for example around how the AI uses spells (like why to cast lights, if someone else casted them already and there's plenty of light around etc.), but if anyone interested, here's "amplified" update wip demo:

Rincewinder 0.7wip1

In short:

- every spell reviewed, adjusted, changed, improved, bigger variety of booms added etc. ;

- if you have a spell selected (name is white) you can use mouse wheel to control, how much mana you wish to spend, this way you can amplify every spell, which in general means, it will do, whatever it does, longer, wider, brighter, stronger etc. but also it becomes harder to harness, which means a risk of not desired side effects like too wide spread, too early detonations, hostile to all creatures etc. Mage's experience will reduce that backfire. Details I'll leave to your experiments;

- most spells, that was producing some effect in the mage-centric area (meteor shower, ice storm, sky candle etc.) now by default are focused rather in the area roughly ahead of the player which should make them more tactically useful - easier to control, where the spell will be manifested, easier to avoid friendly fire or self-inflicted damage... Unless amplified too much;

- the most changed spell is airlift, now the broom (or the carpet if mage is CSAT) can be semi-controlled by mouse movements, but it is also "homing" towards clicked target position. Flight and effects rewritten;

- some changes in the spellbook GUI, mostly easier picking the target (less precision required);

- AI can amplify their spells too if they see fit, also now they are limited to mana level, which wasn't the case earlier; 

- new audiovisiual effects/details accompanying some explosions, fire effects etc.

- additional, delayed explosion at BM's death spot, as requested, with small AI routine for near AIs, that may flee from the BM's body depending on various factors. Size of explosion should semi-randomly depend on BM's experience (potence);

- as a part of my (wip) experiments with daylight visuals, all seems to be brighter. That may be a good thing?

- anything else, I forgot... 

Release is planned soon, not quite sure, when exactly. 

• Like 3

Updated to v0.7:

Repeated previous wip changelog:

- new audiovisual effects/details accompanying some explosions, fire effects etc.

New after wip version:

- new config variable for adjusting general light effects brightness (RCW_BrightnessM, non-negative number, multiplier, 1 by default);

- AI spell casting choices routine rewritten in order to make AI BM's spell usage a bit more thoughtful (for example expect resistance spell to be usual first choice in danger...). 

Nice update, problem though, was testing on my test mission on Tanoa, just 2 enemy groups in a village and me out in a field.

Initially everything works i think, but when i went to first person everything freezes after i opened the spell book, like not one key responds

on the whole keyboard, i can hear the spell book opening and such but theres nothing coming up for spells, just the info at the bottom of the screen shows.

Game isn't frozen but my character is, i cant do anything, i literally have to force quit the game to get out of it.

Was getting some script errors popping up too, not running any mods other than this and the CBA which is required.

A suggestion unless im reading the spells wrong, is to only make those spells available (seen) based on the level your at

and not have any of the next level spells show until you reach that level.

Also wonder if it were possible to have tool tip on a selected spell, like just when you hover your cursor over a spell a hint

or something would give brief info on what it does.

Need to test more but this happened before in previous version.

2 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

like not one key responds

on the whole keyboard, i can hear the spell book opening and such but theres nothing coming up for spells, just the info at the bottom of the screen shows.

Did you perhaps play in editor and use restart button during pending mission at least once? This mod/script each run adds some eventhandlers to the main mission GUI display (display 46), editor's restart apparently doesn't clear them, so they're doubled and therefore I saw, what you described in such case. In editor you need to actually exit mission preview and start it anew instead of plain restarting to avoid that. I consider this more an editor issue, than mod's, but if I find any solution to it, I'l apply it. 

2 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

is to only make those spells available (seen) based on the level your at

and not have any of the next level spells show until you reach that level.

It is that way. You see only spells, your level allows, so if you're on the 1st level, there's only few of them visible. Some of them may be inactive, if you can't affor their mana cost. 

18 hours ago, Rydygier said:

Did you perhaps play in editor and use restart button during pending mission at least once?

Ya i was previewing the mission, and did a restart in it. There was another issue its like the right click or open

spell book becomes active when you right click while your in your inventory trying to drag and drop stuff.

Wondering if you have it where if the inventory is open then the right click to open the spell book is disabled.

It is that way. You see only spells, your level allows,

I see, makes sense, then i must have not had enough mana then.

In editor you need to actually exit mission preview and start it anew instead of plain restarting to avoid that.

Might explain too why some spells go through their animation but nothing happens, i been getting that alot with the fireball.

I tried that earth elemental, that creeping moving around fire, that thing is crazy, i sent that out to an enemy squad and it killed them all,

even i got to close and had to run.

Another idea for a spell for you, something like a necromancy type thing where you can revive a dead squad mate or even ungrouped allied soldier

thin is not to set them in a revive state where they have so much time before they bleedout and actually die.  Rather they are dead, and maybe

what you could do is spawn an exact replica of them, like - get all weapons, gear, faction, ect,. type code and then respawn them on the spot.

Heres another idea, do like a true RPG, for example idk if you ever played Diablo 2 Lord of destruction, but in that you had 7 characters to choose from

and each had their own unique characteristics, skills, spells ect,.

So the idea is to create like a spell book based on a character type, so for example a sorcerer would be more of an elemental type person, shooting, lightening, fireballs, flame walls, tornadoes, ect,.

Then you can have a necromancer where they can cast curses, raise the dead, spawn the dead, poison.

Have a barbarian type character where you can have a shout where in a certain radius the enemy AI would actually flee in terror for so many seconds, i know theres

a code for that, other things for him would be melee type stuff, like you see with Zombies and demons mod, where the demons can hit a car and it would move or go flying,

another spell could be where it allows the character to move faster then normal for so much time.

Another character is an amazon they are usually a bow and arrow, javelin, spear user, for that there would be spells, or skills that utilize things ingame.

Druid, assassin, to name a few.

So at the start of a mission whether you built it or another, you could get a gui or something that asks choose your spell book, and then you choose, from there

the book gets initialized and loaded based on the character traits you want to play with. Some ideas to mess with if your interested.

22 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Wondering if you have it where if the inventory is open then the right click to open the spell book is disabled.

Frankly I didn't think to test this. Must figure out something. 

22 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

i been getting that alot with the fireball

This, or, in case of fireball, there's additional LOS check between mage and the target, but if failed, spell doesn't even start.

Thanks for the ideas! Will be considered. 🙂

Found time for a tiny update, 0.71:

- spellbook GUI should not appear if: 1. the player is not a battle mage; 2. in the map view; 3. other custom user dialog is active.

Did only few tests, but seems, it prevents spellbook appearance also when inventory GUI is displayed. 

• Like 5