avibird 1

Want to share a unique and interesting waypoint setup for occupying buildings.

I am constantly fooling around in the editor attempting to learn arma scripting and experimenting with standard vanilla waypoints. This setup really surprised me and makes for a very interesting Garrison of buildings. One of my pet peeves about Garrison and buildings is once the units are in position they are static and do not move again unless you use do stop or disable pathway commands and through triggers reverse it for example if a particular unit is killed or a certain location is reached typically thresholds of doors. 

What I found out if you have a group of AI Garrison the building with Garrison waypoint then drop a move waypoint then drop another Garrison waypoint then drop another move waypoint and tied in with a cycle the units will constantly move around within the building I would put a delay of 10-30 seconds.  The result a group of units moving throughout a building upper and lower levels. Just thought I'd share Avibird.

However the waypoints will stop after multiple cycles throughout the building. Wondering if there's a way to reset the initial waypoints?

• Like 3

Yes you need to have Eden enhanced or Achilles I forget which one gives you the Garrison waypoints 👍 only the mission maker needs to have them installed. 

• Like 1

Does the placement radius have any effect?  I.e. if you enlarge it do they just pick a random building within the radius that has a buildingPos?

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 11:31 AM, pierremgi said:

Or just CBA_A3

@pierremgi

Does CBA have a dynamic building Garrison function that I'm not aware of?

8 hours ago, jakkob4682 said:

Does the placement radius have any effect?  I.e. if you enlarge it do they just pick a random building within the radius that has a buildingPos?

@jakkob4682 I'm not sure but the placement radius in the vanilla editor is usually for initial placement of spawning of edited place units and to control a patrol radius. The Garrison waypoint (not vanilla arma but from an editor mod) the units will usually Garrison the same building. There are a bunch of Garrison mods out there but typically they are static. Once the units are Garrison in the building they don't move and will attempt to shoot through walls and not adjust the positions. By using the commands  dostop or disable pathway and with a trigger you can reverse the disabled pathway you can get a little dynamic movement within the building. 

However if you are familiar with Jebus script by dreadpirate he was granted one of my wishes  he has incorporated the dostop disabled pathway commands along with keeping unit placed elevations on respawn. The results. I can place units anywhere in a building with the dostop command and once the unit engages in contact it will move within the building as well as go outside. With the disabled pathway command the units will stay Garrison but with a trigger for example at the threshold of the door you can easily enable pathway again. 

I was fooling around with the new commands with his script yesterday with a combination of dostop disable pathway with some units being allowed to move and others that stay in place the results is a very dynamic building Garrison function now. 

Here is a link to jebus script in my opinion the best respawning script hands down for arma.

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/174661-jebus-just-editor-based-unit-spawning/

2 hours ago, avibird 1 said:
On 9/19/2020 at 10:31 AM, pierremgi said:

Or just CBA_A3

@pierremgi

Does CBA have a dynamic building Garrison function that I'm not aware of?

It is semi-dynamic... it parses buildings in a certain radius that have a buildingPosition based on the waypoint position i believe.  Which is why I asked if the placement radius affected the behaviour of ai assigned to that waypoint.  So it's a core function, meaning it provides the ability to make a dynamic garrison function 

• Like 1

I'm in the process of making a framework that is based off of location sizes, nearRoads, and count of buildings in a defined radius.  So i.e. you get a patrol that patrol the roads in the town, a group that moves from one random building to another, and a group that moves from random building to random building searching.  It's kinda a pain in the .... because i'm trying to divide the city into quadrants and trying to find the math for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jakkob4682 said:

I'm in the process of making a framework that is based off of location sizes, nearRoads, and count of buildings in a defined radius.  So i.e. you get a patrol that patrol the roads in the town, a group that moves from one random building to another, and a group that moves from random building to random building searching.  It's kinda a pain in the .... because i'm trying to divide the city into quadrants and trying to find the math for it.

That sounds very cool. There are a few script that do this already. Random building search with patrols. What I am talking about is a true build garrison function that will allow units to move inside the buildings to look for better views to shoot out of windows and allow them to move inside a building when enemy units are near to cover or attack. Right now most of the garrison scripts make the units stationary targets or they keep trying to shoot through walls.

On topic: LAMBS taskgarrison is also pretty good and can be dynamic:

6: Exit Conditions that breaks a Unit free (-2 Random, -1 All, 0 Hit, 1 Fired, 2 FiredNear), default -2 <NUMBER>

• Thanks 1

@RCA3 I have DL lambs and only messing around a little. I need to really look at it I hear it's a great set of function/scripts that only really altars AI behavior in code mode.  I typically use GAIA from MCC4 for all my patrol zones and the last few months using GAIA and VCOM AI with no major issues. I read that lambs can be used with vocom but all three maybe to much IDK. 

• Like 1

Yes 😄

Never used GAIA and/or MCC. Or both LAMBS/VCOM together, but I like LAMBS very much, super light and smart.

3 hours ago, RCA3 said:

Yes 😄

Never used GAIA and/or MCC. Or both LAMBS/VCOM together, but I like LAMBS very much, super light and smart.

Well 

MCC4 is like Zeus on steroidswith a lot more different functions. From a random mission generator with side missions to survival mode to enhance movements with a cover system squad management controls ect. Gaia is the AI enhancement behavior and with random generation of waypoints within zones you set up for patrols. LAMBS does not make groups patrol areas it only enhances their combat behavior mode. Gaia is also completely supported by Jebus respawning script. Gaia really controls AI on a macro level where I believe Lambs controls it on a micro level from what I read. You should check out MCC4 gaia  and Jebus I can't think about making a mission without it.

• Like 1