accuracythruvolume

Mega City 3 --- An urban combat focused terrain

Mega City 3*

* All your frames are belong to me.

x4dghUI.png

Steam Link for evaluation:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2709383687

After doing some faction mods I decided to learn how to make a terrain for the armaverse.   But what kind of terrain to make?   We've already got plenty of deserts, jungles, forests, etc...  Hmmm what is something that that arma does not have much of......   💡

Urban combat.   Plenty of vast expanses out there, but not a lot of really big cities.   So I decided to try for a big city... a... mega city  🌇

Therefore this project was started.   Based off a certain comic you may have heard of, the goal of this terrain is to bring a focus on urban combat.    Will the arma engine be able to handle a large urban terrain without chugging into a slideshow?   Let's find out!!

This project is in the early WIP stage.   This thread will serve to show off it's features as they are added.  

Planned terrain features:

* The Mega City (duh)   A roughly 8x8km urban area.

... sooo your doing a 8x8 terrain that is one big city?

Nope!  Well yes, but no. The terrain is actually 20x20km  and also will feature other urban combat areas:

* A old destroyed city remnants

* A large shanty town colony

* A 3.1 km long runway.  Now you'll be able to land even the largest bird with ease!

* Various smaller points of interest around the map

Terrain outside of the Mega City is still in flux.  The terrain of the city itself is largely flat.  In order to reinforce the planned nature of the city, it is divided into sectors that are split by a freeway grid system.

What lurks inside the walls of the Mega City?

GGJT2dw.jpg

Here's a sat capture of the Mega city area to show the freeway layout.  Yes, those gridlines are in square kilometers.

Q9FAM5z.png

At the bottom of the above image is the airfield, showing the large runways.

This is also a call to arms for any building makers out there.  Anyone that would like to make some big blocky concrete structures, please hit me up.

We'll see where this goes!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Interesting. What are you going for, a Judge Dredd type of thing?

Sounds interesting man, hitting that follow button.

EO,   This is the terrain that we discussed awhile back that uses your Sullen Skies config as its base.  Should help provide the grim mood.    :thumb:

• Like 1

I have a strange feeling i will be seeing a lot of 40k themed missions with this also. It is a really interesting idea and cant wait to see it!

A 40k mission would be a glorious mess in a huge urban environment, no?

I recently found an old post  HERE  that talked about some of the hidden runway lights objects.   If anyone has been looking for them I found:

Land_runway_edgelight

Land_runway_edgelight_blue_F

Land_Flush_Light_yellow_F

Land_Flush_Light_green_F

Land_Flush_Light_red_F

And you can use this handy command in eden (go to tools, debug window) as posted in the thread linked above to spawn them:

create3DENEntity  
[  
    "Object",  
    "Land_runway_edgelight",  
    screenToWorld [0.5,0.5]  
];

I looked up airport lighting standards to dress up the airfield.

Here's some images of the runway after messing with lights:

Coming in looking East

m1N1RAM.png

West View

036lNXq.png

Another View

EsaGn3g.png

On the ground in the pitch black.   Will have to add some ambient lighting....

fbsBC10.png

Dusk view

KkFyBB8.png

• Like 4

Just a suggestion, as it is something i see in some Scifi megacities or megacities in general is a park area. If not that is fine, just think it would be cool for a "Capital park" or something like that

Started plunking down some of the neighborhood structures.   Got inspiration to do Old town, an old fortress that was rebuilt into an amusement park, now just another residential section of the Mega City.

Overhead view.  Started putting a road system in.

hJvC9CW.png

k9zfhmx.png

Castle with triple layered defenses.

R2QqEiW.png

• Like 2

Jesus  Christ! (no religious pun intended) thats mega alright, makes my Desert Ops Run Arena look like a kid's playhouse

in someone's backyard, 😄

Of course yours is an actual map, still thats crazy huge, nice work, very creative of you.

If you look above in the first post you'll see the size of Old Town sitting in the middle of the Mega City.  That should help show the scale of the monstrosity of a city that I'm going for. 

• Like 1

The freeway system is lower in elevation to give the city some extra verticality.  The highway will be set between constructs to lend a "canyon" like feel.  Also in the lore the poorest residents live along the highway (also along  the city wall).

Here's a sample of what the freeway system will look like.

Looking down on the freeway:

avWT3uv.png

At ground level:

pGPPBaC.png

Artificial canyon feel:

mAYz3B8.png

This will also create a physically separated space between the sectors.

** But but but, I only see a single two way set of lanes!  That's not mega city unless it's 57 lanes each direction! **

Well I'd prefer to make a massive highway system, But I also am trying to make this also work with Arma's AI.  So it's a tradeoff.  Also the bridges that are across the city would condense the lanes down anyway.  So far in my tests the AI can drive across the bridges.

• Like 2

On 10/10/2020 at 3:44 PM, accuracythruvolume said:

Started plunking down some of the neighborhood structures.   Got inspiration to do Old town, an old fortress that was rebuilt into an amusement park, now just another residential section of the Mega City.

Amusement park? In a Mega City? Sounds way too utopian for my liking 😄 Nono, we no space for pleasentries in Dystopia Prime -  must cram everything with hab blocks and corporate buildings and fill the gaps with slums and garbage :wiggle:

Looking forward to it, i'm most curious how it will run and how AI suitable it will turn out.

Started working on the city layout.  The lower section that is split by the river is the industrial section of the city, therefore it will be a maze of factories and industrial fortitude.

A few pics.   No road system proper laid down yet.  This is in sector 40.

RALK07k.png

HghjIpk.png

CEHsH2B.png

• Like 2

Sector 40 now has proper roads...

Uukza0Y.png

vyEzriC.png

Mass work done on the heightfield of the map.   Not all of the map is the city.    The Northwest is a vast encroaching desert area...

o0Nx3ok.png

Scouting the city wall... with some of the industrial buildings beyond visible...

xyZZitB.png

• Like 4

Looking good. Would be nice with some large custom structures that are futuristic brutalism.

By the way, how's performance so far? I'm building a large urban map that will feature mostly custom assets so this would be a nice reference on how performance handles.

Did a test with what was done so far on a dedicated server with about eight players and no issues with FPS at all with what the map has at this time.  Already CQB hell 🤕

I do really really want to get some crude blocky concrete custom buildings in but I don't have that in my skill set yet.  All free time is being poured into making the city right now.  Right now the goal is to populate at least the industrial zone and then toss in on steam as a WIP release for people to mess with.  Still lots of little flaws that need to be addressed first.

Amazing. Will you create the iconic  huge 200 floor tower from Dredd 2012?

I was thinking you can do it by using the attach command and stick a bunch of buildings together to create it. There were two major parts to this scene:

The square inner hallways to each other, some with gatland guns depending on the floors, and floors with "rooms" above and below it as per the shootout scene.

Then connect it all with stairs. Up to 200 floors per the movie. 😄

There is an online MP server, ESCAPE FROM HELL, that created enemy bases by stacking buildings on top of each other. They were like 50 stories tall or so and worked.

Or you can ask TURFY on STEAM WORKSHOP if he can make one. He made a ton of compositions that were enormous and could give some advice. I am not sure if he is on these forums.