accuracythruvolume

Mega City 3 --- An urban combat focused terrain

Regarding large concrete structures, some of the various pier structures, especially the ones that come with CUP Core, are imposing and monolithic...

Spoiler

kVdCC7y.jpg

• Like 1

Objects with more rectangular form instead of curved will run faster because they have less vertexes.

The RHS team has released their "TerrainCore" pack of buildings.   These are sweet and shall be integrated hasty-posty. Some very nice multi story buildings with more in development.

Shaping up to be a true hell to fight through! Outstanding!

Here's an idea to spice up the combat routines in the living quorters while also being a repeating pattern:

As someone who lives in an ex-USSR city, they are a bit more sparse on building placement yet still manage to feel built-up and enclosed.

This is due to them being mostly arranged with entrances from the courtyard rather then street side.

So, the idea would be to have some areas arranged

such that the combat would look something like this:

-establish base of fire on your side of the street

-cross the street to outer bounds of the housing quorter

-fight at the entrances to courtyard

-establish base of fire at the courtyard

-enter and clear first house

-move / expand base of fire to the capped house

-move into next house

-etc etc...

IMO such arrangements could:

-spice up combat routines

-give more options to mission makers

-be different from other A3 maps (esp desert map courtyard chains w sand huts)

This' but a scratch mere mission makers perspective.

Take it or leave it 😃

Some quick pics for illustration:

• Like 3

Solid ideas! I'll plug them into the next residential sector that gets built.  Will also give a flavor to each sector if they are laid out differently.  Always open to suggestions 👊

• Like 2

Frame rate has been no worries so far.  Buuut I expect a hit as more sectors get filled in. Likely will need a short render range for best performance I image.  I think I read somewhere that the game engine only renders 500 objects at a time.  Load up the old Fallujah map and fly with max view distance and you'll see the pop up as you move around.  If that is the end result it will be plenty playable. EOs sullen skies keep the clouds down to about 1k so that will help for this map.     Next on the list is to rebuild the airport out to meet up with sector 40.  

14 hours ago, accuracythruvolume said:

... Always open to suggestions 👊

"It's free Real Estate" )

Some ideas for optimization:

-no sidewalks in factories (only in more administrative office type areas and parkings)

-separate some sectors by a bog w. several strategically placed objects (rusted barrels, rubble, dead trees) to suggest water is non-drinkable:

a large hill w. buildings on one side and a cliff on the other to create some obstacles for movement / object vidibility:

-have some landscaped free space between factories to differentiate combat within one factory and crossing inbetween different ones:

-dried up kanales / urban rivers:

-train yards to / from factories:

• Like 1

Maybe a favella type of district would be cool to, to add even more challenging and vertical terrain.

Something that arma buildings lack too much is the irregular shapes building take when combat is done there. spider holes and stuff, but i guess that means modelling an entirely new structure

I would like to see more vertical buildings such as Blade Runner or even those inside the Matrix. Screw airlines flying over the city. They can circle around like how they do it in Oz.

50ebc955731133.59912987bd992.jpg

• Like 1

There will be a section of the map to the east that is an old destroyed city.  It will be all ruins. The map will have a few spots for different urban type fighting then the mega city itself.  As far as huge buildings, there is a limit on size by the games engine.  This can be overcome by slicing it into parts and stacking them.  That alone is alot of work.   I'll look into making buildings eventually 🌁

• Like 1

Note that the size limit is only in width, not in height. I've been brainstorming and musing with ideas of a large city map myself over the years, prototyping with ideas/ designs (relating to my total conversion).
My opinion/conclusion is that a great variety in verticality (meaning - different height levels that you can actually access gameplay wise) makes for much more interesting gameplay, than just rows and rows of housing blocks.

To achieve this is a challenge however - and imo is strongly tied to custom building models. 
Complete access to a buildings interior may be sacrifised for better performance / to have more buildings.  E.g. only the 2 bottom floors, maybe 1-2 parts in the middle and the roof being accessable on certain buildings that have great height. Also, if every floor of a building could be accessed, the map's play area would be so large that for the small conflicts we can only play it becomes too large (~100 infantry, maybe <200 with AI for really strong server/ robust headless client setup) .

On 11/30/2020 at 10:47 PM, bars91 said:

-have some landscaped free space between factories to differentiate combat within one factory and crossing inbetween different ones:

-dried up kanales / urban rivers:

free space - well depends entirely on how "megacity like" he wants it to feel. If he wants realistic immitation of a realworld city - yeah, some space would make sense. If it should feel very crowded the leaving a lot of space would not be good.
However, the crossing between different onces can be done by fences - and having not just the building itself be fenced, but also include storage areas (that have material storages/ clutter / containers or stuff like that) which provide a bit of "free air" between the walls of the buildings - if that makes sense.
Canals are awesome, but achieving them ingame comes with cost of covering large areas with large concrete blocks, where AI cant walk freely on - as you have to lower the actual terrain for the canals. Making extremely steep terrain drops can lead to glitches (character dies when walking on a building on to of that terrain drop), thats why you need large blocks that cover the sides of the canals - which come with their own problems (such as AI vehicles not being able to traverse them properly). Best way propably is to use houses as canal boundaries instead of streets.

Best way to justify very tightly packed buildings is by having the city surrounded by large walls (that is, if you are fine with fictional, non-contemporary city design). Medieval cities where also extremely packed, because everything outside the walls was vulnerable.  Walls also aid as perfect line of sight blockers (geometric occluders) to the outside/inside of the city, at least when you are on ground level - which should aid performance, esp. if the city becomes really big. Multiple sectors could be divided by walls.

• Like 1

Flying at rooftop level in a plane with a screen full of buildings can drop the FPS into the mid to upper 20s in my quick experiments.  That's with an i5 4690k and a 2070 card  on all ultra settings and 6000m  view.    Should be the limit of the performance hit.    Driving around at ground level was anywhere from the 30s to maxing my 4k monitor at 60.

• Like 2

Looking good. How's performance so far?

Flying around at low level seems to be the biggest hit when the screen is full of buildings.  But very playable.   EO's sullen skies has been integrated and it makes a low cloud cover so that will help.   With 3 sectors + old town populated, I'm at 20k hand placed objects.   Sidewalks are my nemesis  :icon_bash:

Here's the current FEB 2021 status of the city.   Three sectors plus old town.   Sector 39 is now in process...

kIHuLEF.png

Texture map:

xQHfs4W.png

• Like 11

Still working on this I hope? very excited to see this released, your screenshots make it look wonderful. Seems like a great terrain for HMCS.

Plodding along.  Nothing exciting to report since its just the grind of getting another sector in order.  Some RL stuff slowed things but several hours get put into it on a weekly basis.

Long road ahead but one step at a time shall get us there.  :icon_cool:

• Like 4

I had a thought but I am not sure if it will work. I noticed both GM and SOGPF has compatibility content free for use. I suggest looking into that for more ideas. The tunnel network is amazing and free to use, just saying!

• Like 2

There will be lots of attempts to bring different types of CQB in the Mega City.   Here's another example that has just been laid down:   A wrecking yard.

Entrance:

U6rRNgN.png

To the junk....

3i90RYS.png

A good amount of junk around...

rfiOA9Z.png

Like, really a lot of junk...

1nmpZBy.png

Actually a large field of scrap:

iGPYHr8.png

Bird's eye of the in progress junk yard.   Should be a noteable area in the Mega City.

UKVriZn.png

As a side note, is there an industrial area you'd like to see in the Mega City?   Toss up a post, you never know, your idea might be incorporated into the map   :supercool:

• Like 3