laxemann

RR Immersive Maps by LAxemann

PxQtAWa.jpeg

RosenRudel Immersive Maps (aka RR_mapStuff)

By LAxemann

What does it do?

Someone in my community (RosenRudel, or short: RR) jokingly said "we have ACRE animations, now all we need are map animations, haha". And the mod was born.
Immersive maps (Also called: RR_mapStuff) generally revolves around the ACE interaction menu(s) and does the following:

• When opening their maps, player characters will actually hold up a map in front of them.
  • Players are able to put down their map on the ground via ACE-Selfinteract->Equipment
  • Maps held by players or on the ground can be accessed by other players even if they themselves don't own a map
  • When looking at someone else's map, you'll be able to see their markers
  • You can copy the markers of someone's map onto your own
  • You can look at or pull maps from dead bodies
  • Map objects will try to visually adapt to the terrain which is being played on
  • When using compasses, players will actually hold a compass in front of them
  • Individual features of the mod can be disabled via the CBA addon options
  • The mod features custom animations.
  • The mod is mp-compatible, why else should you use stuff like this?

Noteworthy things

• Only the "owner" of a map can draw persistent new markers onto a map which is lying on the ground (or held in their hands).
  • Maps put on the ground are larger than handheld maps for the sake of accessibility.
  • 3d models of compasses won't show up in first person in order to avoid visual glitches. You'll see them in 3rd person or on other players, though.
  • The left hand may glitch a bit into the weapon when using a compass while running. No way to fix this without overcomplicating things.

Download

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2222778153

Credits

JR, Adama, Pfleger, Paddyy and Alius for testing! 🙂
Spacture for the idea!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 4

Always wanted to make something like this, but never had the patience. You're a saint. Can we knife hand general locations on the map?! Jk, good work.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Nice dude something functionally manual for once!

Although i prefer not to use Ace, its a good mod, just not interested in using it.

What is needed from ace that the mod cant do on its own, just ace animations?

Remember this addon from Arma2oa did close to the same thing without requirements

https://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18682

• Like 1

I won't completely wipe a non-ace version off the table, but definitely not soon-soon. It's not about technical possibility, but just the effort in changing it. This was a quick side project I did for my community, I unfortunately got a lot of other stuff on the plate right now.

Also:  @Gunter Severloh the mod you linked does nothing this one does, and this one does nothing the mod you linked does. 😛

• Like 3

Hey no worries Laxemann, appreciate your work none  the less, i dont really play with ACE anymore like i did in the earlier days of the game

but i do still have the mod, its a great addition and thanks for your work!

• Like 1

I released an update tonight which should fix any high network traffic/desync issues.

Before:

As soon as someone opens a map or puts it on the ground, the marker information of the player was broadcasted to every other player.

Now:

The marker information is stored locally on the owning player, the map only broadcasts who it "belongs" to to everyone. Upon opening the map via the interaction menu, the owning player sends the marker information only to the client which "asked" to receive the data.

The only downside to this way of handling things is that there might be a slight delay until you actually see the map markers (as transferring the data between clients can take a few ms).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Update

1.0 - 20210224
Added: Hand-drawn markers can now be seen as well!
Added: Ability to copy the markers of a map onto your own map (via ACE interaction menu)
Added: Realtime marker updates (Only applies to markers created by the map's "owner")
Tweaked: Maps now follow the hand's rotation, should improve "visual fidelity" a tiny bit 😄

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Update! At long last 🙂

1.50 - 20211229
Added: Functionality of the mod can now be configured via the CBA options menu
Added: When looking at a compass, players will now actually take out a compass. Should not impair any other functionality. (Optional, default: On)
Fixed: Issue where maps could get stuck after exiting a vehicle. Should be fixed, let me know if not, please.
Tweaked: Minor behind-the-scenes-codeStuff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Update!

This will be the last update before the next major release. With the next major release, I plan to make maps in Arma somewhat persistent/unique. No clue if and when this happens, though. 🙂

1.60 - 20220103
Tweaked: You can no longer "take" an RR map from the ground if you already have a map slotted (To prevent loss of information, more to come)
Added: RR_mapStuff_fnc_exportMarkers function, exports current player markers to the clipboard
Added: RR_mapStuff_fnc_importMarkers, e.g. [this,EXPORTMARKERSRESULT] call RR_mapStuff_fnc_importMarkers. Can be used on players and RR maps in order to start the mission with markers drawn
Added: RR_mapStuff_fnc_adaptMapTexture, e.g. [this] call RR_mapStuff_fnc_adaptMapTexture. Will (try to) match the appearance of an RR map with the map the mission is played on.

1.61 - 20220103
Added: Chinese Translation by mihuan-0! 🙂

• Like 5

A "little" sneak peak into the next big update: (Optional) Unique and persistent maps! 🙂

Quick explanation:

There is no such thing as "unique maps" in Arma3. Having a map in your inventory just allows you to access "the map functionality". The mod previously allowed you to have other people look at your map, drop it on the ground etc. What I'm working on here is a rather expansive system that simulates each map being unique, persistently storing marker information etc. Including hand-drawn ones.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Impressive!  Thanks for the contribution.  Too bad I'm not an ACE guy...

This is brilliant and something I'd been hoping someone would make since they added drawing on maps.
Nothing more immersion breaking than someone 20km away being able to draw on their map and me being able to instantly see it.

I look forward to seeing this when it's complete  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Too bad I'm not an ACE guy

I agree with you to a point johnnyboy, i felt the same for a while as there are some mods that require ace, however i play with a coop group on the weekends

i been playing with them for many years, and i'd say since last year we started using ace.

We use an old ace version without the medical and use a different revive system to keep things simple, the real thing we use ace for and im liking it

is that all our missions are designed to be logistical, so you have to actually fuel, reload ammo for vehicles, tanks and planes, and when a tank is destroyed or disabled

we have to actually tow it back to base or an FOB and repair it to use instead of just spawning a new one there are other

added functions which are neat.

Anyways what im trying to say is imo immersion is important to a point but when you take some of the arcadish things out like driving a car up to a

gas pump and somehow it gets magically fueled, same for an ammo truck it.

Idk how you like to play or if you play any coop with anyone but ace make the game more functional in some respects, another example is

i fly a WW2 plane often that has these pylon cannons on them, and with ace i can actually change the cannons for bombs, or change what rds are being used in the cannons.

With Arma being a sandbox like it is, to each their own, ace is fun and useful for realism and immersion and Laxemann's map here just adds to that.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Too bad I'm not an ACE guy...

But you are a good bloke.

I typically don't use ACE either, but these maps are pretty awesome!

• Like 1

A small update on my favourite escalated side project 😄

• Like 2