TomOZ

Custom Backpack Model/Textures Transparent?

Hi All, 

I've recently began to work on my custom backpack models again, and am trying to figure out why my models appear strange and distorted depending on the POV when you look at it from certain angles. I'll post an Imgur link so you can see the issues directly, but it seems that the 'far' side of the backpack from where you're looking appears fine, but the 'closest' side is transparent/missing?

Also it is strangely symmetrical in the shapes of the model that show, i don't have any idea as to why this is, so any help would be very much appreciated.  I suspect it is directly related to the model (I made in blender) and not so much the texturing, as it seems universal across all models. It almost acts as if the entire external model is reversed, like it is inside-out.

Link: https://imgur.com/a/42TUOP3

Cheers all, Tom.

13 minutes ago, TomOZ said:

...It almost acts as if the entire external model is reversed, like it is inside-out...

I think thats exactly what it is. Open the model in ObjectBuilder (O2), CTRL A to select everything, then press W to reverse the faces. Then press F5 to refresh the normals to correct any lighting issues.

3 hours ago, Jackal326 said:

I think thats exactly what it is. Open the model in ObjectBuilder (O2), CTRL A to select everything, then press W to reverse the faces. Then press F5 to refresh the normals to correct any lighting issues.

Hey Jackal, 

Thanks for the response (becoming a trend now with me), you're spot on with what you said, it was the faces. I followed what you said and it worked like a charm, did exactly the right thing - however, since some of the faces were facing the right direction (about 50% of the model was correct) selecting all and then reversing fixes the other 50%, but also ruins the correct 50%.

So, the next question - other than doing this one at a time face-by-face and slowly manually changing them until they're all correct - Is there a way to make all faces face ONE direction together? like all Down or all Up. If i can do this, then i can simply reverse all of them at once and they would all be the correct orientation. 

As always, big thanks again! - these problems are pretty simple things but they really create big problems for me.

Cheers, Tom.

10 hours ago, TomOZ said:

[...]

So, the next question - other than doing this one at a time face-by-face and slowly manually changing them until they're all correct 

[...]

As far as I'm aware manually doing them one-by-one is the only way. You can use a few of the view options to see your model in solid form rather than wire-frame which will make the job easier.

• Thanks 1

Open your model in Blender, go to edit mode, select every faces, apply "Recalculate Normals" (Ctrl-Shift-N). I had the same problem, that's works.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys!

Really appreciate the response from both as usual and for the help. 🙂 

Cheers, Tom

• Like 1