Hery387

[HELP] AI Squad Leader giving order to few AI units to disembark

Hello, I am a kinda new to making missions. I know some basics but, I want to make a convoy with a BTR infront, jeep and 2 Armed Cars (I am using mods). I groupped all of them to the first vehicle (BTR). But everytime I start the mission, the squad leader (AI) orders few men to disembark and then get in again (Also AIs). After that, they follow the waypoints. Any help? I tried to lock the vehicles, it only locks for me, the AIs can still get out. I tried LockCargo, I tried Safe behaviour and setcombat mode blue. I even tried to make them playable, as I was desperate. It is really frustrating and I spend most of the time rage killing the AIs instead of making the mission.
Edit: There are also no enemies yet. (The convoy's side is OPFOR, including me)

For convoys some cool scripts exist out there like this one: https://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=31925

Now some times the AI just does its thing and there is not much you can do about it. You can however try to hide their reactions. A black screen with some text before the player sees whats going on for example. And in general anything simple no matter how crazy it sounds and that works is preferable. 

7 hours ago, Hery387 said:

Hello, I am a kinda new to making missions. I know some basics but, I want to make a convoy with a BTR infront, jeep and 2 Armed Cars (I am using mods). I groupped all of them to the first vehicle (BTR). But everytime I start the mission, the squad leader (AI) orders few men to disembark and then get in again (Also AIs). After that, they follow the waypoints. Any help? I tried to lock the vehicles, it only locks for me, the AIs can still get out. I tried LockCargo, I tried Safe behaviour and setcombat mode blue. I even tried to make them playable, as I was desperate. It is really frustrating and I spend most of the time rage killing the AIs instead of making the mission.
Edit: There are also no enemies yet. (The convoy's side is OPFOR, including me)

Have you done anything else to the mission? Normally they don't do that .

Two things I can think of:
1. Add this to the init script of the group:

units this orderGetIn true

2. Try disbanding the whole group, then join them back in:
Select all units in the squad, press ctrl+drag mouse on empty space to disband, then ctrl+drag again and link them to the leader (preferably the BTR commander)

1 hour ago, JohnKalo said:

For convoys some cool scripts exist out there like this one: https://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=31925

Now some times the AI just does its thing and there is not much you can do about it. You can however try to hide their reactions. A black screen with some text before the player sees whats going on for example. And in general anything simple no matter how crazy it sounds and that works is preferable. 

Hello, I am going to look at the scripts, but it is just awkward to need script in order to have normally working AI. And the Second option is not really possible, the AIs take like 10 seconds to hop in and no one wants to look at black screen for 10 seconds.

1 hour ago, Leopard20 said:

Have you done anything else to the mission? They don't do that normally.

Two things I can think of:
1. Add this to the init script of the group:

units this orderGetIn true

2. Try disbanding the whole group, then join them back in:
Select all units in the squad, press ctrl+drag mouse on empty space to disband, then ctrl+drag again and link them to the leader (preferably the BTR commander)

Hello, I tried both methods, unfortunately, it did not work. The squad leader orders the few men to disembark and then get into another vehicle (for ex. go from jeep to BTR).

28 minutes ago, Hery387 said:

Hello, I tried both methods, unfortunately, it did not work. The squad leader orders the few men to disembark and then get into another vehicle (for ex. go from jeep to BTR).

Do you use any AI mods? If so, try without them, see if they're causing the issue.

Also, can you specify what vehicles you use (and from which mod)?

If you could share your mission, maybe we could help more.

17 minutes ago, Leopard20 said:

Do you use any AI mods? If so, try without them, see if they're causing the issue.

Also, can you specify what vehicles you use (and from which mod)?

If you could share your mission, maybe we could help more.

Oh, well I will try to give you it somehow. But I use shit ton of mods at once. I use WW2, cold war and some more modern ones. I am not sure how I can give you the full list of the addons I have downloaded.

Here is the mission https://mega.nz/folder/2TJhxSab#6WjWUtTer5DwH0Q5z_rrEA
Unfortunately, I don't know any way that I could tell you all the mods (because I have alot).

10 minutes ago, Hery387 said:

I don't know any way that I could tell you all the mods (because I have alot).

Screenshot of the launcher with all mods loaded, or post an rpt.

17 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

Screenshot of the launcher with all mods loaded, or post an rpt.

Here are the screen shots in order from top to bottom
https://prnt.sc/u6zsr3

https://prnt.sc/u6zswb

https://prnt.sc/u6zsxe

https://prnt.sc/u6zsyj

https://prnt.sc/u6zszu
Edit: Complete vanilla Arma 3 was okay when I tested it. So probably some mod does something that makes the problem.

• Thanks 1

That helps get a clearer picture, nice work, btw i have and use the same screenshot program 😉 nice choice!

i would have to say ace has ai file in it, Ares if im not mistaken, as well as alive try without those.

Alot of the mods you are running are all content based, meaning their adding items, objects, weapons, vehicles, terrains ect,. along with gameplay functions too,

some mods like IFA3, and liberation change certain functions, sounds, animations, ect,. for the content itself.

What you need to look at are mods that change the function of the gameplay and in your case the AI for vanilla, so aside the WW2 mods and some modern

i think those i bolded may be effecting the AI from responding like they are.

A recent/latest rpt of your attempt in a mission with the mods loaded and when you experience the issue could reveal alot more as to what mod,

code, or function could be "interfering" or enabling the AI to respond the way they do.

Rpt

I think that would be your best bet, that to me is looking at the guts of the game so to speak as the rpt reports just about everything going on,

so turn on your logs (uncheck the -no logs box in the startup parameters) and do your test, once its over, then go to this folder

C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Arma 3

open the rpt with notepad, select all, copy and paste in your reply here paste it in a spoiler or paste it here https://justpaste.it/

paste the code, publish it, and paste the link here.

24 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

That helps get a clearer picture, nice work, btw i have and use the same screenshot program 😉 nice choice!

i would have to say ace has ai file in it, Ares if im not mistaken, as well as alive try without those.

Alot of the mods you are running are all content based, meaning their adding items, objects, weapons, vehicles, terrains ect,. along with gameplay functions too,

some mods like IFA3, and liberation change certain functions, sounds, animations, ect,. for the content itself.

What you need to look at are mods that change the function of the gameplay and in your case the AI for vanilla, so aside the WW2 mods and some modern

i think those i bolded may be effecting the AI from responding like they are.

A recent/latest rpt of your attempt in a mission with the mods loaded and when you experience the issue could reveal alot more as to what mod,

code, or function could be "interfering" or enabling the AI to respond the way they do.

Rpt

I think that would be your best bet, that to me is looking at the guts of the game so to speak as the rpt reports just about everything going on,

so turn on your logs (uncheck the -no logs box in the startup parameters) and do your test, once its over, then go to this folder

C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Arma 3

open the rpt with notepad, select all, copy and paste in your reply here paste it in a spoiler or paste it here https://justpaste.it/

paste the code, publish it, and paste the link here.

I was not able to upload it on justpaste, pastebin nor here in spoiler as it is too long. Do you have something like Discord where I could add you?

46 minutes ago, Hery387 said:

I was not able to upload it on justpaste, pastebin nor here in spoiler as it is too long. Do you have something like Discord where I could add you?

You can zip it and upload it somewhere.

@Gunter Severloh
I'm not sure if an RPT can help in this case. But it might be worth a try.

@Hery387
Does the leader literally say "Disembark"? If not, it is most likely due to some mod that is trying to change the unit's animation.

In case you don't find any solution, here is a scripting "hack", which teleports any unit that disembarks into the vehicle: (make sure to change the time to what you want)

Add this to the group's init script:

MY_VAR_GetOutTime = 10; //maximum seconds after mission start where you don't want the units to get out
{
	_x addEventHandler ["GetOutMan", { 
		if (time < MY_VAR_GetOutTime) then {
			params ["_AI", "_role", "_veh", "_index"];
			call ([
				{_AI moveInDriver _veh},
				{_AI moveInTurret [_veh, _index]},
				{
					_fullCrew = fullCrew [_veh, "cargo", true];
					if (count _fullCrew == 0) then {
						_AI moveInTurret [_veh, _index]
					} else {
						if ((isNil "_index" || {count _index == 0}) && {
							_index = -1;
							{
								if (_x#0 == _AI) exitWith {
									_index = [_x#2];
								};
							} forEach _fullCrew;

_index isEqualTo -1
						}) then {
							_AI moveInCargo _veh
						} else {
							_AI moveInCargo [_veh, _index#0]
						}
					}
				},
				{
					_AI moveInGunner _veh
				},
				{
					_AI moveInCommander _veh
				}
			] select (["driver", "turret", "cargo", "gunner", "commander"] find toLower _role));
		};
	}];
} forEach units this

2 minutes ago, Leopard20 said:

You can zip it and upload it somewhere.

@Gunter Severloh
I'm not sure if an RPT can help in this case.

@Hery387
Does the leader literally say "Disembark"? If not, it is most likely due to some mod that is trying to change the unit's animation.

In case you don't find any solution, here is a scripting "hack", which teleports any unit that disembarks into the vehicle: (make sure to change the time to what you want)

Add this to the group's init script:

MY_VAR_GetOutTime = 10; //minimum seconds after mission start where you don't want the units to get out
{
	_x addEventHandler ["GetOutMan", { 
		params ["_AI", "_role", "_veh", "_index"];
		if (time < MY_VAR_GetOutTime) then {
			call ([
				{_AI moveInDriver _veh},
				{_AI moveInTurret [_veh, _index]},
				{
					_fullCrew = fullCrew [_veh, "cargo", true];
					if (count _fullCrew == 0) then {
						_AI moveInTurret [_veh, _index]
					} else {
						if ((isNil "_index" || {count _index == 0}) && {
							_index = -1;
							{
								if (_x#0 == _AI) exitWith {
									_index = [_x#2];
								};
							} forEach _fullCrew;

_index isEqualTo -1
						}) then {
							_AI moveInCargo _veh
						} else {
							_AI moveInCargo [_veh, _index#0]
						}
					}
				},
				{
					_AI moveInGunner _veh
				},
				{
					_AI moveInCommander _veh
				}
			] select (["driver", "turret", "cargo", "gunner", "commander"] find toLower _role));
		};
	}];
} forEach units this

Nice thanks. Yes, he does say <number> <number>.. disembark.

1 hour ago, Hery387 said:

There was no need to post screenshots. There's a button in the Launcher that allows you to export your mod list as a nice and pretty HTML file.

Just curious is it number 3 and 4 and number 2 is always the driver. Somehow I think that is hard-coded in the game unit 3 and  4 will usually get dismount disembark orders and number 2 is always in the driver seat.  Take squad tell them to get into a empty vehicle order that vehicle to move somewhere on the map. Number 2 will always be The driver and number 3 and 4 will always get a dismount order. You can get them to stay in the vehicle but you have to order them a few times. I personally think it's something hard coded this is been a problem ArmA and OFP for years.

13 hours ago, avibird 1 said:

Just curious is it number 3 and 4 and number 2 is always the driver. Somehow I think that is hard-coded in the game unit 3 and  4 will usually get dismount disembark orders and number 2 is always in the driver seat.  Take squad tell them to get into a empty vehicle order that vehicle to move somewhere on the map. Number 2 will always be The driver and number 3 and 4 will always get a dismount order. You can get them to stay in the vehicle but you have to order them a few times. I personally think it's something hard coded this is been a problem ArmA and OFP for years.

I had no problems like this in OFP.

14 hours ago, Leopard20 said:

There was no need to post screenshots. There's a button in the Launcher that allows you to export your mod list as a nice and pretty HTML file.

I found out just now lol.

21 hours ago, Hery387 said:

Hello, I am going to look at the scripts, but it is just awkward to need script in order to have normally working AI. And the Second option is not really possible, the AIs take like 10 seconds to hop in and no one wants to look at black screen for 10 seconds.

Ten seconds is not too much if you show the mission name, needed details, maybe an image or a loading screen and such.

Oh and you can just:

NameOfUnit disableAI "MOVE";

for the units the leader orders to disembark and when the convoy is moving you can

NameOfUnit enableAI "MOVE";

it again. Or even:

NameOfUnit enableSimulation false;

for as long as needed. Unless one of those units is the driver. If so you can try this on the other unit and see if anything changes. Or just have them start with simulation false and after a few seconds enable it again. Also the

enableSentences false;

can help to hide him giving orders.

20 hours ago, Hery387 said:

I was not able to upload it on justpaste, pastebin nor here in spoiler as it is too long.

Split it in parts.

Or put the rpt in a zip and link it for download.

It is adviseable not to keep too many mods activated at once since it causes performance and stanility issues.Functions could overwrite eachoter etc.I filter by era like ww2 mods,cold war era mods ,modern era mods...