Sign in to follow this  
Hupara

Sights are off

Hello,

My problem is that iron sights are not aligned correctly. Bullets go to the side, not center. I opened my gun 3d file and made sure that in the memory section the barrels end and start are in the center vertically and horizontally. Still bullets go to the right of the iron sight.

Is the problem in sight 3d file or in the siht texture file somehow? If problem is the, how do I put them to the center? I would appreciate help.

I did try search button but could not find answer.

Best regards

Hupara 

I'm talking about rifle weapon. I haven't seen any viewGunner position in any hand held weapon. 

@Hupara,

Hi, use the "Report post" on the top right corner of your original message to request the moderators to change your thread somewhere else on the forum.

You posted this on OFP but you might get a working solution from ARMA 3 - ADDONS - CONFIGS & SCRIPTING thread.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Really a working solution from arma3? It doesn't have 2d ironsights like ofp..

Are your sights custom or default? As they're images it's possible to get the centering wrong.

• Like 1

They are custom as they came with mod. Picture being not centered was one of my thoughts too. Also tried moving the sight p3d file to right direction but seems that was not the case.. So is there some good program to easily determine the centerpoint for the texture?

Than you for your answers guys.

I just use GIMP or any other decent editor for mine. You should be dealing with no more than a few pixels. The center should be the center of the image.

But it can be slightly different depending on how the sight looks.

Thank you Macser. Downloaded GIMP and it seems easy enough program to use. Now having issues with saving my modifiend textures back to .paa files and with trancparency things.. just have to read some tutorials and this forum more.

There's a couple of programs I've used. Pantool and Paatool. I usually use Pantool for creating optics. It tends to give me the results I want without messing around with settings.

1. Are you sure the sights are off? For some reason, in OFP, sight picture is spawned to the right of the barrel, giving an appearence of bullets flying to the left of the crosshair. This is especially evident when using scoped weapons and tracer ammo. However, the bullets hit targets as expected on "regular" distances (over 10-20 meters).

2. If those sights are really off, remember that you may not be able to achieve perfect zero - that's because texture size is always even (power of 2), so the true center/zero is between two pixels.

Have to look that pantool when i have time. Thanks.

Sights what im talking about is ak 74 and 47 sights that come with rcwc 4.9 mod. Those are nice sights. When I looked in to them, textures are correctly centered. It might be that the front post is so thin that it cannot be exactly center like krzych.. said. But it can be slightly moved because bullets hit too much to the right.

Like Krzy said. There's no point trying to get it pixel perfect. You can get close though, with a bit of patience. He's probably spent more time looking into that kind of thing than I have. :)

1 hour ago, Macser said:

He's probably spent more time looking into that kind of thing than I have.

Probably... :D

And no, it's not perfectly centered - point of impact is slightly to the right (1 pixel).

EDIT: I forgot one VERY important thing! Remember that guns are not "laser beam" accurate - there's always some dispersion. Depending on what RCWC guys did, it may be bigger than what it is usually in OFP/Arma. Let's just say that guns in OFP/Arma series are always more accurate than real-life counterparts.

Edited by krzychuzokecia

Yes i know. But it aint dispersion. I dont use rcwc mod, only those sights for my personal mod. Hitpoint is Too much to the right and same spot all the time. I have made dispersion to be about 4 moa for those guns and also use realistic trajectories (thanks to patch 2.01 its possible) and velocities calculated and tested also in real life by me:D But its still too much of center even from close ranges. It bothers me. Maybe i can make it work by learning more modding and or use better optics. All in all, thanks for your help guys!

By the way that recoil effect in those sights is nice. Have to learn to make my own sights and with that effect! I haven't seen it in any other mod..

Thank you for the tool recommendations guys. Now I have corrected those sights.  Even tough sights seemed to be centered when looked them in the pantool they werent. It must be something to do with those custom recoil effects that were implemented by rcwc mod..