avibird 1

My mission init just got deleted when I was test playing through the editor help needed how can this happen and can I retrieve my information.

I don't know how to describe this but here it goes. I had a mission saved in multiplayer that I was test playing through the editor. The mission started to be very laggy and then the game kick me to the lobby. When I try to load up the game again there was no units available to select. So I restarted it and my mission name was changed somewhat it said Raven Platoon but what it should have said was Raven_Platton_Uranium_Raid_Tanoa. 

I quickly looked in my documents under arma3 in my multiplayer folder and the mission was there with all the folders and files but when I try to play the menu calls it the first name and there's no playable unit or anything on the map. WTF help.

Two weeks of editing and test playing fucking gone WTF can cause an entire mission in it to get deleted while you're playing 😥 good news I had a recent save file from 8/5 but fuck two weeks of great progress with test playing and editing the map gone. I don't understand how the name of the mission can change without me saving the file. has anybody heard of anything like this happening before.

You have autosave set?

Also the name as you have it   ---->  Raven_Platton_Uranium_Raid_Tanoa. 

wouldn't work unless you left the map off at the end for a reason, but ideally the game wont read a mission if its missing the map extension,

so your mission should read like this ----->   Raven_Platton_Uranium_Raid_Tanoa.Tanoa

which im assuming you have in your files.

Idk dude i been editing and building missions since OFP demo days and never had your issue, currently i have my mission files setup based on the map they are on

so i have a folder for a map say Altis, and all my missions for Altis are in that folder, it shows in the editor.

idk if you have something like that, or just have your usermissions in alphabetical or all in one folder each with their own map extension based on the map they are on.

Only way i can think of that a mission was "deleted" if you will is well you were either hacked which is most unlikely, or you never saved your mission.

Thing is even if you plop some units down on the map without saving you can play it, however once you exit the preview, and then the editor that mission is gone.

I'm not an expert but unless you physically deleted it accidentally, renamed it and forgot the name, misplaced the mission file, never saved it, then i see no other way

that your mission would be missing, unless you game crashed while editing then which its basically just not saving the mission if that occurred.

I quickly looked in my documents under arma3 in my multiplayer folder and the mission was there with all the folders and files but when I try to play the menu calls it the first name and there's no playable unit or anything on the map. WTF help.

That must have hurt! Only thing I would do is change the name of the mission folder and try opening it again. Or place the mission in the SP folder and try again. Anything that might help. 

The only similar thing that could have happened is erase not needed things so as to film a video, and then an autosave could destroy all efforts. Something similar happened to me once. That is why I keep a variety of backup files. Some times when the mission is nearly ready I even upload a copy on the web just to be sure. Oh and why edit the mission via the server option that has the lobby and such. Why not make the mission via the editor?

@Gunter Severloh

I definitely the mission was saved I have been working on this for along time. The mission name was altered when the game lagged and crashed in the editor the mission name was changed and everything was deleted from the mission in it. All the folders and files was still intact. When I went to save the game - save as the mission name was correct Raven_Platton_Uranium_Raid_Tanoa. But in the mission selection menu it was not it was  it only said Raven Platoon. I have screenshots but how do I upload them here. 

The bottom line I've been playing this since OFP days and yes a lot of weird things happen with the arma engine over the years but WTF. the good news is I did have a backup mission folder from two weeks ago but I did a lot of tests playing and a lot of editing in those two weeks. IDK what happened but I am not crazy the mission in it delete it and somehow the mission named got written only on the mission menu list Avibird

I feel your pain man.

If I have a lot of time into a mission, I always backup the mission folder onto a thumb drive everyday.  

• Thanks 1

http://imgur.com/gallery/LwFuspv

The Raven Platoon I did not name that it was called Raven_platoon_uranium _raid.tanoa it became that when the game crashed 

It's still have the original name in my folder and if I looked at the save as list.

The raid on vagalaka was a new mission folder I made and put all the original folders and files back in but the mission init was pretty much blank. In the original mission you would have to scroll down a few minutes to get to the end of the mission init it was that full of data.

I am still in disbelief that this happened.

The only information I can found about losing data when experiencing a game crash is this link

I am still very confused how an entire mission init.sqf can be erased and a mission name can be modified or changed by itself during a game crash. 

I have been playing OFP since 2001 on PC then 2005 Xbox and again back with arma2 2009 I have seen a few weird stuff happen with mission scripting and editing but never like this. I will back up every mission I make now in a different folder then the arma3 folder I can only say WTF 😥 but determine to make my deleted mission even better now!!!

I'm sorry for your loss!

I don't see any way how init.sqf could have been deleted by arma since its editor generally doesn't write to any other files except for mission.sqm. Did you check the trash bin? Perhaps the file is still there.

I would suggest you to use Git for versioning and tracking changes of your projects in the future.

• Thanks 1

It was my mission init file that was delete it and the mission name was changed by itself see above for pictures that I post in a link a few posts above

Something doesn't add up....

You should have the Original Editor Mission. You shouldn't be changing things directly in the other versions. Just Open the Original Version (the Eden Editor one), and then you'd EXPORT as MP. Thus never touching the exported version. Each change and work done, has to be exported each and every time.

Seems goofy. Not exactly sure what your Workflow is here.

(lol, 😓 why are you taking screenshots with a physical camera?)

Do you have an Official Version of ArmA 3, or is it a bootleg?

Odd!

• Like 1

Lol 😂 no it's a real copy of the game from steam.

Physical camera 📸 I wanted to have it on my phone 📱 and when it first happened and I attempted to restart the mission from the mission select menu the name was changed I didn't want to touch anything I was in disbelief and my phone was right next to me.

Like I said the mission init was almost completely empty missing 99 % of the data that should have been there.  The name it changed to had no extension and could not be played from the mission menu. All the other folders and files were intact. It's like all my placed items from the editor was erased off of the mission init

Can you Upload the Original Mission/Folder to Dropbox (or similar)?

We can take a look and go from there.

@Von Quest I don't have the original it would not like me open it in the editor. I needed to make a new mission init and copy and paste from a old version of the mission and start again with my editing. I don't have the mission or folder I delete it from the editor because I was unable to open it up.