Rydygier

[COOP] The Magnificent Seven

Magnificent-Seven-Splash.jpg

Introduction

Who in lawless lands will stand up for the weak? Poor mexican village is harassed by brutal banditos. The villagers grow desperate and finally decide to resist. But what chance these poor folk may have against well armed gang of marauders? They weren’t able to buy enough weapons with these very few posessions, they have left. Instead they found seven gunslingers for hire, brave souls ready to defend the poor against the oppression of the wicked.

After all – in these lawless lands men are cheaper than guns.

Details

This scenario is simple, quick-to-play MP mode, where players job is to save village from brutal bandits attack. It is a spin-off of the Seven Samurai scenario. Although it can be played solo, SP even, it is meant for COOP. This is my very first project of such nature, I never made anything MP-focused before and that's exactly why I wanted to create just once something of that kind.

The village is picked each play at random from any proper locations found on the map (Altis, although porting to other maps should be very easy). Randomized is also available gear (the content from owned DLCs and loaded mods should be potentially included) and hostiles.

Scenario includes several mission parameters, that allow to customize the tactical and enviromental factors from the lobby.

Melee mode requires KA Weapons Pack NEW (melee mode will autodisable if mod not present). It should be considered experimental, fun mode, work best in solo gameplay, there may be glitches for non-server players.

Rules:

1. Players start inside the safe zone. As long any player is out of the safe zone, the countdown is going to zero.
2. When the countdown is ended, the safe zone is removed and the attacks will begin soon.
3. Players can arm themselves from the boxes located in the center of the safe zone, at the flagpole.
4. Bandits will attack from random directions in random waves.
5. If too many villagers die - the mission is lost.
6. If all Magnificent are dead - the mission is lost.
7. If all bandits are dead - the mission is won.
8. Civilians will 'shout' about known hostiles near using 3D exclamation mark icon over their heads. Color of the mark indicates how close the enemy is (green - far, yellow - close, red - very close).
9. Player names change colors depending on player's status: dead - dark red; generating noise/speaking - white; incapacitated - purple-red; no ammo - yellow; critical wounds - reddish; serious wounds - purpleish; moderate wounds - blueish; all OK - blue.
10. There's no respawn, only spectating mode after death, but revival is often possible.    

Porting:

Need to be confirmed yet, but seems, that porting is as easy, as changing map name in mission folder name, so for example: MagnificentSeven.MCN_HazarKot -> MagnificentSeven.Altis. Target map should have some "NameVillage" locations with at least 9 enterable buildings in 200 meters radius around.

Download

The Magnificent Seven 1.00 (Dropbox)

The Magnificent Seven 1.00 (Steam Workshop)

The Magnificent Seven 1.00 - open folder (Dropbox)

Original Seven Samurai scenario 

Requirements

Hazar-Kot Valley

Optional:

Technically below mods are not required to run the scenario, but western-style weaponry, clothes etc. are taken from them. Without weaponry scenario is unplayable in practice, so at least some of them should be loaded, all of them - recommended.

CUP Units
CUP Weapons
IFA3_AIO_LITE
Project Infinite
Nolosha Pack Western

Notes

The basic premise is based on The Magnificent Seven movie by John Sturges, which in turn is a remake of Seven Samurai movie by Akira Kurosawa. I highly recommend to watch these classics, knowing them helps you feel and tune in better during the gameplay.

Credits & licenses

Scenario utilizes slightly customized A3 Wounding System - AIS Revive by @Psychobastard

My thanks to:

@Gunter Severloh for testing, video overview and some good advices.

Katana for melee mode from KA Weapons Pack NEW by KICKASS

Additional sound effects (edited: stereo to mono, normalized, most shortened/cut fragments) from:

1. http://soundbible.com/ By: Mike Koenig, Sound Explorer: Attribution 3.0 license,

Vladimir: Public Domain license,

man: Sampling Plus 1.0 license;

2. https://www.zapsplat.com By:

ZapSplat, Audio Hero, PMSFX: ZapSplat's standard license,

Still North Media: CC0 1.0 Universal license.

Terms of Use

Spoiler

Anybody can depack this mission and change my work for own needs, even release such changed version, as long proper credits are given: it is released under APL-SA license, except for the audio-visual components of the splash screen, included scripts of other authors (A3 Wounding System - AIS Revive by Psychobastard) and other content listed in Credits & licenses section, which may have own terms of use. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Nice!

Will check it out!

Just a note Rydygier, for the steam workshop, would suggest adding the map requirement

Hazar-Kot Valley   to the right as a downloadable link, so folks who cant seem to read the whole page miss it.

For those of you who've never seen the movie Magnificent Seven

its on Utube for free

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

would suggest adding the map requirement

Hazar-Kot Valley   to the right as a downloadable link

Thanks, done.

Youtube movie is available only in some countries apparently (not in Poland for example). I saw this movie pretty long time ago, so would gladly refresh memories, but I must find other way.  

That's... magnificent! :D

BTW: I missed following post

On 8/8/2020 at 1:52 PM, Rydygier said:

As for weaponry, personally I would ban/remove all semi-automatic WW2 rifles, but all of them come from IFA3 AFAIK, so it may be enough to not play with IFA3 loaded, but from the other hand this way few other things from IFA3 will be removed, so not sure, maybe better to remove these rifles from the pool after all.  

While semi-auto rifles are indeed overkill, I'd add Bnae's M1897 shotgun ("bnae_m97_virtual", "bnae_m97_s_virtual") and CUP M1911 pistol ("CUP_hgun_Colt1911") - both are associated with late frontier/wild west era (see The Wild Bunch).

• Like 2

Mission is hard (feels much harder to accomplish than 7S) but extremely fun, satisfying and most importantly given the setting, loadouts etc. very immersive.

Playing in SP and mainly because of the, primarily, single-shot weaponry, I wish this was called the Magnificent Dozen. :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great! As for difficulty, it is... difficult 🙂 to make a conscious decision in this regard for me. It may be different in solo and with actual 7 human players (sound easier, than relying on AIs), also I'm not playing much Arma, mostly creating stuff, so I can't really trust my skill as reliable reference here - skill-wise I'm kind of a noob despite >4700 hours in game. It may also depend on used tactics and finally - on settings. That's basically my solution to this dilemma - player can adjust the challenge as he see fit via lobby parameters, unless plays in true SP mode. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, EO said:

mainly because of the, primarily, single-shot weaponry

What are you using? A musket, this is a western, theres six shooters, lever action rifles, bolt action rifles too.

Yet to try it myself been to busy working on an update to my mission as has Rydygier 😉

21 hours ago, Rydygier said:

also I'm not playing much Arma, mostly creating stuff

Lol you coding genius you, you spend half your time helping me in my/our mission and then off building your own out of thin air,

next thing you know you'll have a Star Wars version of this they way you work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Gunter Severloh said:

What are you using?

Now you guys made me thinking... If only we had such thing modded into Arma:

And the question is, for whose side? 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rydygier said:

If only we had such thing modded into Arma:

Welllll....

There is but its a bit modern, lol

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1069036154

close you may be able to get, and believable at least for a western is a vickers

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=903202945

• Like 1

Haha... Well, in fact that Vickers is tempting. Maybe some kind of optional parameter to get one? They'll pretend, it's a proper gatling gun or let's make it after 1912, there was requested few weapons of that period. I must test it first. From the other hand, not quite western style, I'm affraid about impact on immersion...

Hm. Tested that Vickers and I think... nope. You/I immediatelly feel muddy trenches, gas masks, Somma, Verdun etc. Very contra-western impact on immersion to me. Also kind of wip-ish here and there. It is not the same without a crank anyway.

@Rydygier

You've inspired an idea! In my research however I've noticed one of your links is broken.

Katana for melee mode from KA Weapons Pack NEW by KICKASS. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pvt. partz said:

I've noticed one of your links is broken.

Thanks! Corrected.