avibird 1

Please share your combinations of waypoints and commands that you use to get various formations behaviors ect with your missions. Please see example below.

Combining waypoints and different commands can lead to some very interesting AI behavior and formations.

If you use The Garrison waypoint to have a large group of units located throughout a town in multiple buildings. The units will never leave the spot they are in the building or move to a better shooting location.  This can be very frustrating and not very dynamic in the engagement with those units in the town.

For example

1. joinAsSilent

2. doStop

3. disableAi "PATH"

4. Sentry guard move waypoints (can be used)

5. Triggers to to revert the dostop and or disable path.

I also use jebus respawning script.

Step one. Place the unit that you want to be in command in any location in a building preferably a location with the greatest view of the town. This unit will not respawn. Place a disable path command and then your waypoint  or guard/move waypoint. Then setup a trigger to have other units joinAsSilent to his group.

2. Place random individual units in the best locations throughout the buildings (only first floor for the units you want to respawn back (reinforcements) during the battle and other units that you don't want to respawn on the second or third floors.

3. Now place the doStop or disableAi "PATH" commands in the units initbox. and Jebus spawn script only for the units on the ground floor. Jebus will only  repawn units on the ground level. You could have a move waypoint that will get the units to the second floors but it's a pain in the ass with negotiation building pathways to second floors at times.

4. Now setup a trigger using the joinAsSilent to have all the individual units now joint the selected group leader with the trigger set to repeat. 

5. Setup a few triggers throughout the town that will reverse doStop and disable pathway commands.

The really cool thing about it is all the units in the towns scattered throughout different buildings are now in the same group and the ones with the dostop can and will leave the buildings to engage or find better positions to shoot from and the ones with the disable path will stay in place until the triggers go off to allow them to move. 

I would like to see what other people use as combinations to make a mission or dynamic just using simple waypoints in triggers.

sarogahtyp I've seen the script a while back when he first released it. There has been no activity on the post since December. Hopefully the script is still working with the updates and he's still updating and tweaking the script it's amazing for a few units to clear a house and something like this should have been in the vanilla game. 

With that said it's not exactly what I'm looking for. The Garrison functionality was a great addition to the series but it lacks a dynamic components. Units will not move in the house or reposition to get a better view or shot.

The approach I showed is a way to get a few dozen units working together when Garrison through out a town and with the ability to leave their positions when needed. Using the Garrison waypoint and other Garrison scripts the units will only hold positions. 

I just thought we can start a thread where mission designers can show how they use various commands and waypoints in a creative way to change AI behavior and movements. Scripts and mods are wonderful but you always run the risk of them not working due to updates the author  no longer continuing to work on them or compatibility issues with other scripts and mods that you have running.

I know I'm not the only one that fools around with the combinations of commands and waypoints just like to see what other people are doing.

For civilian life only, I'm using waypoints from building position to (other) building position. That works fine usually. Sometimes civilians are stuck in a room (or even in a floor: Cup Takistan map, Unsung map). But I don't care because these units are not important.

As a matter of fact, you'll never be sure that a unit can find/succeed the path inside a building. That's something different from existing positions. Units can be stuck on ladders, doors, balconies...   Don't use that for moving infantry.

For infantry, first try to spawn outside of houses/rocks! ! then randomize waypoints for patrols in safe state, then (split group) make them responsive, attacking the player's position. That means only scripted move  and cycle waypoints.

Keep on mind that too heavy spawn/behavior scripts + many infantry +... can lead to making AI totally dumb as the FSMs and scripts are struggling for scheduler most of the time.

Spoiler

I'm about to release (after weeks of work and tests) an advanced waypoint (so in my mod) for visiting building positions in vicinity. The result is mitigate, so, WIP, but as said above, making AIs visiting houses is a never ending challenge.

• Like 1

Hey pierremgi very interested seeing your work when ready😎 but I was not interested in units searching buildings my goal was to have a large group throughout a town all located in buildings. Hand placed to have the best view of the entire town with the ability of the group to move out of the buildings to engage or reposition themselves during the mission. 

The Garrison waypoint works only for positioning of units initially but the units will never move out of the house. With the combination of waypoints and commands I got it to work very well. 

I just would like to see how other people uses waypoints and commands in combination with their missions. Just vanilla commands and waypoints 👍

I know you aren't looking for scripts/mods, but you really should check out what @nkenny has done with his LAMBS systems. His garrison waypoints are dynamic, so garrisoned soldiers will react differently to different situations, not just stay put.

• Thanks 1