Hi all,

I've been stuck on this AI artillery problem for half a day now. I have 2 enemy mortars I wish to activate via trigger and script (separately, by that I mean they aren't grouped together and I have 2 triggers calling the script once for each mortar).

Testing the trigger and script in game, I was originally getting an error for undefined variables (both _mortar and _target), but now I'm getting an error for "undefined variable in expression _target".

In each trigger, I have:

script = [mortarNumber, getMarkerPos markerNumber] execVM "eFireMission.sqf";

which, after some tuning, I turned into:

markerTarget1 = getMarkerPos marker1; null = [mortar1, markerTarget1] execVM "eFireMission.sqf";

(does this difference do anything? I originally assumed that using "getMarkerPos" in the passed variable would work since "getMarkerPos" returns an array, doesn't it?

And for my script, I incorporated a script I saw on the forums through a google search for artillery scripts from 7 years ago (user 2nd Ranger's post in that thread) for an MP mission I'm making for my friends and I:

_mortar = _this select 0; //--- name of the mortar, arg passed from trigger
_target = _this select 1; //--- central point around which mortar hits, arg passed from trigger

if (isServer) then{

for "_i" from 0 to 8 do {

_radius = 50; //--- random radius from the center

_pos = [
			(_target select 0) - _radius + (2 * random _radius),
			(_target select 1) - _radius + (2 * random _radius),
		];

_mortar doArtilleryFire[
			_pos,
			getArtilleryAmmo[_mortar] select 0,
		];

sleep 2; //--- delay between rounds
	};
};

What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated, this is my first time scripting for Arma 3, I'm a little lost

marker1 is not a marker name. "marker1" could be, if you write marker1 in variable (name) field of the marker. I know it's a little bit weird but...  getMarkerPos (as other marker commands) is waiting for a "marker name", so a string. Check that.

markerTarget1 = getMarkerPos "marker1"; null = [mortar1, markerTarget1] execVM "eFireMission.sqf";

or even:

null = [mortar1, getMarkerPos "marker1"] execVM "eFireMission.sqf";

• Thanks 1

That was exactly it. Thank you, my guy. I'd spent the better part of yesterday going through the Biki and I never noticed the significance of the quotation marks, oh man. Thanks!

45 minutes ago, pierremgi said:

marker1 is not a marker name. "marker1" could be, if you write marker1 in variable (name) field of the marker. I know it's a little bit weird but...  getMarkerPos (as other marker commands) is waiting for a "marker name", so a string. Check that.

markerTarget1 = getMarkerPos "marker1"; null = [mortar1, markerTarget1] execVM "eFireMission.sqf";

or even:

null = [mortar1, getMarkerPos "marker1"] execVM "eFireMission.sqf";