RabidStoat

Quality issues on importing image to A3

**Probably the wrong section for this but I honestly can't work out where else to ask for help**

Trying to create Insignia for my clan - not the clan logo on the right shoulder from Units, but formation insignia on the right via Arsenal.
I create an image in Inkscape (vector scales so much better - start large and shrink it); export as a png file then use A3Tools to convert to paa.
My starting image is 128*128px@96dpi. In Inkscape it looks good (by my admittedly poor standards) and looks OK as a png. Once in A3 and on a sleeve in paperdoll mode however, quality has taken a nosedive. Colour is washed out, detail is patchy, edges are discoloured or distorted.

Can these images be in higher resolution (maintaining the base2 ratio of course)? or is there a trick I'm missing?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Make sure the correct naming conventions are used for the texture. See here for a full list.

If it has transparency save it as a 32bit .TGA file (which will save the alpha channels) and name it as 'whateveryouwant_ca.tga'

Then send it directly to 'Image2PAA' via Window's 'right click > send to' menu.

If its just a regular square patch with no transparency save it as a 24bit or 32bit .TGA file and name it as 'whateveryouwant_co.tga' 

Then do the same as above.

That should resolve the issue.

Tga to Paa is preferable to png to paa then?
I'm a bit off a novice at this, picking it up as I go along (both the A3 side and the graphics) but I'll give it a shot, many thanks

1 hour ago, RabidStoat said:

Tga to Paa is preferable to png to paa then?

I've always found better results with TGA, but I guess a lot of it is determined by the program and settings used.

I hope it helps anyway...

Finally got something that looks moderately ok in-game. TGA definitely seems to convert better, primarily though I think I was being failed by the conversion algorithms in Inkscape/Gimp etc. Making a BIG image and then converting it externally, resizing as part of the conversion instead of before it seems to have worked much better.
Thanks for the help Jackal

• Like 1