nyrok4

Help with switching units/characters in MP.

Hello forum,

Recently I made a mission that involves a linear campaign with 6 different timelines. In it you switch between ai characters after a certain trigger is activated.

90883350d2d2610dbe2187176d74670407b00da9

(Screenshots from Tier 1 Stories: Afghanistan)

Link to Mission

The problem i've ran into is that switching characters works in singleplayer by utilizing a trigger with "selectPlayer" in its init. But when on multiplayer/coop it no longer works. Does anyone know a workaround or have any ideas? The goal is to make this scenario coop.

Thank you for your time.

In MP, you can switch on respawn only,  if you are using the "switch to group member" or "switch to side member" option, in 3den or equivalent  code in description.ext.

The switch menu is enabled for switch to side member only (you can see the parameter line enabled and you can tick/untick the "enable team switch"). That means that's the only way to switch by choice, on a sided available playable AI unit. The switch to group member is automatic, if I'm right.

switching in MP, during mission, out of a respawn time, just means a return ticket to lobby!

If you need something very different, your best bet is to respawn/ trigger a code, concerning the player, so the same slot, but running a code for :

- new position,

- new loadout,

- new unit trait (ability for medic, engineer...)

- new group, new task, new identity... why not...
You can even teleport on an existing unit, grab its loadout and all the stuff and delete it.

pierremgi, I see, you have to respawn. Thank you for the ideas. I'll give them a go. 

19 hours ago, nyrok4 said:

pierremgi, I see, you have to respawn. Thank you for the ideas. I'll give them a go. 

Or teleport/change loadout in a trigger. But we can't say it's a switch even if you can delete a playable AI unit. You can do many things by scripts: open a map, click on position, choose a scenario, open a dialog...  (see forum tutorials).

The question is what do you expect as result, prior to think about a way to reach it. So, switching is a tool for SP, eventually a mean by respawn with specific parameters but not an MP weird tool, open for cheaters at anytime.