Sign in to follow this  
neofit

Old Man: game mechanics

Hi,

A lot of the features in this scenario have been inspired by other mission, like Rydigier's Pilgrimage, but some function differently, I'd like to know how the "Old Man" world is supposed to function.

1/ Fast Travel. It's not implemented as a teleport since it takes time to go from place to place. But for some reason I can't travel together with a vehicle. In Pilgrimage for instance the last vehicle you were in travels with you, so we know there is no technical issue that would prevent such a functionality. Do you truly only "fast travel on foot" or am I missing something.

2/ Is there a way to truly destroy a roadblock? In Pilgrimage again, once I kill everyone at a checkpoint it remains empty for the duration of the mission, which lasts a few hours to a couple of days max anyway. If such a feature exists, i.e. it stays empty for a couple of days at least, is it enough to kill everyone there or one has to C4 something else there?

3/ Helicopters. Pilgrimage has those pesky on call helicopters as well, about 1-2 on the island, but if I shoot them down or do to an airfield and destroy them on the ground, there will be no more of those for the remainder of the mission. Is it the same in Old Man or do they keep respawning?

Thanks.

1. Fast Travel doesn't support vehicles because you can only do so on foot at a hotel/safehouse or at Santiago's house. Alternately if your reputation level with L'Ensemble is high enough, you can select their camps and smuggler outposts (at maximum level).

2. No. Checkpoints will always be re-garrisoned by CSAT/Gendarmerie after some time. I believe it's after a few hours of in-game time, though I can't remember the exact numbers.

3. No. They will always respond after you fight off the first two Quick Reaction Force attack waves; either in the form of a Y-32 Xi'an with Viper paratroopers aboard or an Mi-48 Kajman. You can steal both at some locations like on Tuvanaka or at the international airport, though you need to get rid of the AA defences on the islands first or you'll get shot down (thankfully destroyed AA positions are permanently gone).

1. Well it's pretty much "teleport" with shifting time of day. It's not like there are persistent entities simulated in the background at 1000x speed in lower fidelity during the skip. But on your question I don't see a way to teleport your vehicle as well, design wise it would have made roadblocks pointless if they did though.

2. As far as I know roadblock repopulate based on the distance you've moved away from. At a distance long enough for the objects to despawn, and move back within the spawn distance of checkpoint guarantees a regenerated checkpoint. It's no more than 6,700m at max. However every other sites are pretty much a one time only business, every kill is permanent. Checkpoints and enemy reinforcements spawns are the 2 forms of indefinitely regenerating kind of enemy, at some point you'll have little incentives to fight them anymore, as they only expend you resource.

3. Enemy reinforcement waves a created, base on what I see, upon the complete destruction of the previous wave. You don't run into a stronger wave(eventually escalate into CAS fighter) if you manage to elude the previous one or only partially destroyed. It's the only condition from my observation.

As you can probably tell the level of "dynamism" is not that deep in this mission.