10 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

I play solo, and would prefer to rock'n'roll quicker. 

Thanks for suggestion. A tip for now: if you leave AIs not armed, they'll arm themselves automatically with small delay after the countdown is over, but will not take any extra magazines. 

Current way gives the players a choice, who would use what (and an opportunity to argue about that, I guess...). I think, I could make another parameter to restore that way, but by default I could arm them at random directly. 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2020 at 4:43 PM, Rydygier said:

As for Magnificient Seven however decided, it will be better to make it in a form of separate spin off scenario with own logo, music, names etc. 

Since I was the dude who suggested "Magnificent Seven" theme in the Steam comment section, you have no idea how happy I am to hear that this seed may sprout some day!

As I said on Steam before: thanks for fun mission, and good luck with whatever projects you're working now!

• Like 4

Meanwhile some work in progress footage from melee system for AI and players testing. Well, it technically works at least. Few sword masters versus a horde of weaklings (skill based):

Seems, Arma 2 was better as for suitable animations though. Not tested in MP yet.

• Like 5

Slightly improved melee in terms of unit's feedback on hit (long animations replaced with quick "twitches", better bleeding locations, few other things). Oddly, the main issue at the moment with melee is not the melee itself, but extraordinary difficulties, AI seem to have with finding its way into buildings, which is not the case out of scenario context, as I tested. While I'm figuring this out, the scenario may be ready for some wip tests, if anyone's interested:

SevenSamurai 1.02 wip1

Note, melee mode wasn't tested yet client side in true MP, possibly will be vulnerable to lags/high ping/desync etc. also may be present bugs not seen in solo/server side tests. 

Changes:

- picked village is marked by blue circle on the map;

- a parameter to choose, if samurai should be armed directly (active by default);

- melee mode parameter, that also requires KA weapons Pack NEW (for katanas);

- some technical improvements...

In the melee mode each unit normally armed with any firearm will get a katana instead. In order to attack with katana simply close in the melee range to the opponent, keep him in front of you and press LMB to strike. Results are calculated basing on your skill, opponent's skill, how many is attacking a unit at once, if it is attacked from behind and if the unit is attacking at this moment as well, also some random factor. Possible attack results: miss, block, wound. In general, samurai have maxed skill, while by default bandits are more or less inferior, so you should be OK as long you don't let too many of them attack you simultanously. Due to mentioned issue with entering buildings, villagers may be more safe inside, than they should be. AIS is disabled in this mode.

Well, in general melee seems to be rather nice easter egg mode than something serious, but you may have different impression of course. 🙂

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Rydygier said:

extraordinary difficulties, AI seem to have with finding its way into buildings

And that's how it looks:

https://youtu.be/A2OqJsMDxOQ

White numbers shows seconds from last movement order. Slight displacements are one of workarounds I tried to un-stuck the AI. All these units with white numbers are ordered to reach a position at this guy qit red exclamation mark.

Prepared a testing ground and recreated the situation out of the scenario in the very same spot. Indeed - AI outside this house position seems unable to find a path and reach it, so direct doMove makes it stuck. Hence confirmed, it is nothing in the scenario, just there are unreachable for the AI house positions. Since I see no way to determine, which ones, the best workaround in such case would be sadly direct teleport to the target spot... From the other hand, unreachable unit has no problems with leaving that building if ordered, so this is one-way issue.

• Like 2

So far, I´m loving the Melee mode, quite challenging and so on point with the gamemode premisse lol

Indeed, I´ve only being mowed down by a multiple bandit attack, on an honorable 1v1, the bandits are slain as the dogs they are 😉

Cheers!

PS: I´ve noticed some bandits armed with rifles, but without ammo, so I could easly slash them down... could be some randomization mod lost in my pletora of mods, it didn´t broke my fun, so no harm done anyways

• Like 3

Seven Samurai 1.02 wip2

Used few weird tricks to reduce stuck AI in melee mode, still not perfect, but now at least they are able to kill all villagers in time, if not opposed... Also some other minor technical stuff to make it somewhat working also on dedi/actual network, where mutually non-local units are fighting each other (although server-side AI opponents seem to be more deadly to client-side players, no idea, why). If no major bugs will be found, I would say, that's enough for soon 1.02 release...

• Like 3

On 8/5/2020 at 1:20 PM, Rydygier said:

just there are unreachable for the AI house positions. Since I see no way to determine, which ones,

PS In fact, I found some hacky and probably not fully reliable way based on calculatePath. This command works in weird/unusual way BTW, it is not described, how it behaves, if there's no proper path between points, but I was able to use it anyway. Doesn't solve everything, but improves the situation a bit. 

A few technical fixes later...

Seven Samurai updated to 1.02. Changes:

- Picked village is marked with blue circle on the map;

- a parameter to choose, if samurai should be armed directly (active by default);

- melee mode parameter, that also requires KA weapons Pack NEW (for katanas) - experimental;

- various technical improvements.

Note: mission loading may take longer now.

• Like 2

Meanwhile, regarding Magnificent Seven spin-off/"reskin", I reviewed mods, you recommended for weaponry and clothing (no use for horses, I think...). Here's what I found, some anachronistic WW2 stuff of course, also some uniforms have modern elements sadly, just let me know, if I missed something or something is too off to be here:

Weaponry:

Spoiler

"bnae_spr220_virtual",
"bnae_spr220_so_virtual",
"LIB_K98",
"LIB_G3340",
"LIB_M9130",
"LIB_LeeEnfield_No1",
"CUP_srifle_LeeEnfield",
"LIB_M1_Carbine",
"LIB_G43",
"LIB_G41",
"bnae_mk1_virtual",
"bnae_mk1_t_virtual",
"bnae_mk1_t_camo1_virtual",
"arifle_NOL_win1873_F",
"arifle_NOL_win1873_gold_F",
"arifle_NOL_win1887_F",
"arifle_NOL_win1887_gold_F",
"LIB_K98ZF39",
"LIB_M9130PU",
"LIB_M1903A4_Springfield",
"LIB_LeeEnfield_No4_Scoped",
"bnae_saa_virtual",
"bnae_saa_c_virtual",
"LIB_M1895",
"LIB_Webley_mk6"

Clothes:

Spoiler

"U_C_E_LooterJacket_01_F"
"U_IG_Guerilla3_1"
"U_C_HunterBody_grn"
"U_NOL_CowboyUniform_01_F",
"U_NOL_CowboyUniform_02_F",
"Nolo_CowboyHat_F",
"H_NOL_Stetson_Beige_F",
"CUP_H_NAPA_Fedora",
"G_LIB_Dienst_Brille2",
"H_NOL_Stetson_Blue_F",
"H_NOL_Stetson_Black_F",
"H_NOL_Stetson_Green_F",
"H_NOL_Stetson_White_F"

There was also red/pink stetsons, but disregarded them, too non-western colors. Green one may be too vibrant also.

As for weaponry, personally I would ban/remove all semi-automatic WW2 rifles, but all of them come from IFA3 AFAIK, so it may be enough to not play with IFA3 loaded, but from the other hand this way few other things from IFA3 will be removed, so not sure, maybe better to remove these rifles from the pool after all.  

No mod dependencies, but instead at init script will search for certain stuff classes, and will use them, if found. If mission loaded without any such desired content, there will be basically no uniforms and no weapons, just bunch of weirdos in underwear roaming around.

There will be adjusted characters, logo graphic, music theme, story background, but no changes in the gameplay itself (melee mode probably available of someone fancy cowboys with katanas...), also I don't know any suitable western-themed map, which means a map with several villages, proper landscape etc. Altis must suffice, I guess. 

Any thoughts?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rydygier said:

....also I don't know any suitable western-themed map, which means a map with several villages, proper landscape etc....Any thoughts?

Hazar-Kot Valley could easily pass for an authentic piece of Mexican land, small performance friendly with several named villages, the only drawback being the size of the villages. There are two decent sized villages that could easily cope with the mission objective, the others may be a bit on the small side.

But for immersion purposes it would get my vote.    

• Thanks 1

WIP, first run...

m7-wip1.jpg

• Like 3

We deal in lead, friend. ^^  :tounge2:

Looks great Rydygier!

edit: and who's to say we can't create cowboy-esque characters from vanilla assets.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Very interesting Rydygier, I feel honored by your mentionings and seeing some of the old stuff in action 🙂. AFAIK Ruppertle had a rather advanced melee system for his Star Wars modding work and the most impressive I've seen for the ArmA series, almost like another game (I think with AI attacks, too?).

• Like 2

@icewindo, so good so see you around, it was years since last time! 🙂

Thanks for the tip. Googled some footage, animations look awesome indeed, requires a mod of course, could be optional though. I'll explore this deeper. 

As na offtopic, you may be interested also in this, old good times, eh:

• Like 1