Seven-Samurai-Splash.jpg

Introduction

In these war torn lands no one cares for common people. The locals fall victim to unpunished bandits who plunder the peasants without mercy and murder the resisting. Inhabitants of this village became so desperate, they decided rather to die in defence than to endure suffering any longer. Still, they are simple folk, not familiar with combat. Therefore they decided to seek help of the ronins, masterless samurai. Namely those of them hungry enough to work for food, because villagers have no any valuables to offer. They found seven volunteers. These dangerous people were feared in the village, but ready to die in defence of the helpless. Without a payment, not expecting any gratitude, without hesitation...

Video

Details

This scenario is simple, quick-to-play MP mode, where players job is to save village from brutal bandits attack. Although it can be played solo, SP even, it is meant for COOP. This is my very first project of such nature, I never made anything MP-focused before and that's exactly why I wanted to create just once something of that kind.

The village is picked each play at random from any proper locations found on the map (Altis, although porting to other maps should be very easy). Randomized is also available gear (the content from owned DLCs and loaded mods should be potentially included) and hostiles.

Scenario includes several mission parameters, that allow to customize the tactical and enviromental factors from the lobby.

Melee mode requires KA Weapons Pack NEW (melee mode will autodisable if mod not present). It should be considered experimental, fun mode, work best in solo gameplay, there may be glitches for non-server players.

Rules:

1. Players start inside the safe zone. As long any player is out of the safe zone, the countdown is going to zero.
2. When the countdown is ended, the safe zone is removed and the attacks will begin soon.
3. Players can arm themselves from the boxes located in the center of the safe zone, at the flagpole.
4. Bandits will attack from random directions in random waves.
5. If too many villagers die - the mission is lost.
6. If all samurai are dead - the mission is lost.
7. If all bandits are dead - the mission is won.
8. Civilians will 'shout' about known hostiles near using 3D exclamation mark icon over their heads. Color of the mark indicates how close the enemy is (green - far, yellow - close, red - very close).
9. Player names change colors depending on player's status: dead - dark red; generating noise/speaking - white; incapacitated - purple-red; no ammo - yellow; critical wounds - reddish; serious wounds - purpleish; moderate wounds - blueish; all OK - blue.
10. There's no respawn, only spectating mode after death, but revival is often possible.    

Porting:

Need to be confirmed yet, but seems, that porting is as easy, as changing map name in mission folder name, so for example: SevenSamurai.Altis -> SevenSamurai.Tanoa. Target map should have some "NameVillage" locations with at least 20 enterable buildings in 150 meters radius around.

Download

Seven Samurai 1.02 (Dropbox)

Seven Samurai 1.02 (Steam Workshop)

Seven Samurai 1.02 - open folder (Dropbox)

The Magnificent Seven spin-off

Notes

The basic premise is based on Seven Samurai movie by Akira Kurosawa. This project is my humble homage to this movie in fact. I highly recommend to watch this classic, it is great, highly inspiring piece of art and also knowing it helps you feel and tune in better during the gameplay.

It may be easy to die in this battle, so remember - do not feel bad about your death. It is anticipated and welcomed. You're a samurai, and this is a good, honorable death, such is your way. Savor such a noble end of life!

7sam-graves.gif

Credits & licenses

Scenario utilizes slightly customized A3 Wounding System - AIS Revive by @Psychobastard

My thanks to:

@Gunter Severloh for testing, video overview and some good advices.

Katana for melee mode from KA Weapons Pack NEW by KICKASS

Additional sound effects (edited: stereo to mono, normalized, most shortened/cut fragments) from:

1. http://soundbible.com/ By:

Mike Koenig, Sound Explorer: Attribution 3.0 license,

Vladimir: Public Domain license,

man: Sampling Plus 1.0 license;

2. https://www.zapsplat.com By:

ZapSplat, Audio Hero, PMSFX: ZapSplat's standard license,

Still North Media: CC0 1.0 Universal license.

Changelog

Spoiler

1.02:

- Picked village is marked with blue circle on the map;

- a parameter to choose, if samurai should be armed directly (active by default);

- melee mode parameter, that also requires KA weapons Pack NEW (for katanas) - experimental;

- various technical improvements.

1.01:

- Improved displaying of splashscreen and flag texture;
- in-game story display at flagpole changed to textured board at the pole;
- daytime parameter expanded - any full hour can be picked;
- villagers shouldn't respawn anymore.

Terms of Use

Spoiler

Anybody can depack this mission and change my work for own needs, even release such changed version, as long proper credits are given: it is released under APL-SA license, except for the audio-visual components of the splash screen, flag texture, included scripts of other authors (A3 Wounding System - AIS Revive by Psychobastard) and other content listed in Credits & licenses section, which may have own terms of use. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 6

Awesome Rydygier!

I'm happy to have been able to test for you and help in this fun creative idea of yours, well done on releasing your first MP mode mission!

Mission is fun to play, with its own adjustable challenge with an interesting background story based off of a great movie, well done!

Just to note for those interested in playing this solo, its meant to be played in MP lan or a server,

the mission has adjustable MP parameters, dont forget to review the briefing too.

As i said in pm Rydygier i will be recording a video for you and will post it over the weekend! Cheers!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sounds a little more challenging.

Definitely going to step outside my comfort zone and see what this is all about!

• Like 1

Kurosawa´s masterpiece apart.... I think this gamemode should be best played with this -> https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1453659903&searchtext=melee 

Of course, Enhanced movements and MOCAP to improve the immersion!

Kudos to Rydygier for yet another breakthrough gamemode for ArmA3 (Pilgrimage is an unbeat masterpiece)

Cheers!

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1482199333783226679/8D09FBFCD05DAFAD5FDDD38A88D7304770FFA240/

• Like 5

I like that way of thinking. 🙂 Currently making 1.01 with few corrections around displaying graphics. But I had also two suggestions about special modes. Namely:

1. Magnificient Seven (western weaponry and clothes)

2. Melee (useable melee weapons)

If I would like to explore such directions, could you, guys, link me to mods with such content apart from Max_Melee_Weapons linked above? I heard, @Bnae made something in western style as for weaponry... Anything more/better? Best, if not wip, something more stable, wips tend to change a lot, but wips will suffice too in need.

I would imagine, special mode would kick in if the script would detect presence of certain mod content (classnames). In case of western, it would replace all rifles and handguns with western models, same with clothes, if any available and character names. Maybe even internal splash screen etc. In case of melee, all weaponry would be replaced with melee stuff and also I would need to write custom AI routines to use them properly in battle, so these should be effective weapons, not just static props.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! 🙂 Meanwhile a quick update to 1.01:

- Improved displaying of splashscreen and flag texture;
- in-game story display at flagpole changed to textured board at the pole;
- daytime parameter expanded - any full hour can be picked (noon set as default, this way should help when porting to the maps, where dawn and dusk are on different hour);
- villagers shouldn't respawn anymore.

In the first post added some porting to other maps hint.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rydygier said:

1. Magnificient Seven (western weaponry and clothes)

Mods I've used in the past to create a Western feel ...Frith's Ruin, DBO Horses, IFA3, CUP.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rydygier said:

could you, guys, link me to mods with such content apart from Max_Melee_Weapons linked above?

For a Western you want these mods:

Clothes & weapons - Hats, vests, shirts, holsters, and other misc.

• CUP_Units
  • CUP_Weapons

Weapons - Rifles, and pistols

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=807038742

Weapons, Buildings and Western items

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1983040915

Weapons include, rifles, bow and arrow, yes you can have Indian characters too that actually shoot arrows!

Screenshots of Western, something i been working on for another project im doing 😉

https://imgur.com/a/dQ6bXyO

Also for a good western map, you definitely want EO's Deserted VR

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1946431719

there are other desert maps that can be used for Western backdrop too.

• Like 2

7 hours later :h:

I present you Seven Samurai

Rydygier would you mind adding this to the your OP, and the workshop page too?

Cheers my good man!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff! Thank you. 🙂

• Thanks 1

I just tried playing this on my own, but the bandits never came. I wonder if that’s down to the AI mods I’m using (LAMBS suppression and danger).

Influence of AI mods unknown, I wouldn't expect conflicts, but who knows. Technically, the bandit group is spawned at one position and it gets usual SAD waypoint around the village center. Simple as that. You may either compare with and without mods to see, if actually the mods make the difference, and/or use open folder scenario, preview it in the editor with said mods loaded, enter free camera mode just after attack announcement by sirens and just go at attack markers and see, what spawned AIs are doing. 

34 minutes ago, thirith said:

but the bandits never came.

Playing in MP lan?

Press escape and go to spectator, and zoom out, and see where they are at, that should confirm if they are moving towards

village or not.  

Be sure that the countdown went off after you moved out of the safe zone, you should have heard an alarm go off

and then you should see 7 samurai in the top middle, after the alarm go to spectator will be a way to confirm.

Play tested many times myself with and without mods, i didn't have any issues.

32 minutes ago, thirith said:

I just tried playing this on my own, but the bandits never came.

I mean this with the greatest of respects, but did you give them time to arrive? My observations on solo playthroughs, and depending on the town location, bandits can sometimes take a good few minutes to start their attacks.

• Like 1

I waited five, six minutes, though perhaps that wasn’t enough. Will do some tests tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2020 at 8:26 AM, Rydygier said:

If I would like to explore such directions, could you, guys, link me to mods with such content apart from Max_Melee_Weapons linked above? I heard, @Bnae made something in western style as for weaponry... Anything more/better? Best, if not wip, something more stable, wips tend to change a lot, but wips will suffice too in need.

Yeah, definitely Bnae´s Inifity Mod has a better looking and functionality for a Western (Magnificient Seven) mode... there´s DBo_Horses for... ya know, horses lol

For melee, so far I acknoledge Max_Melee, KA weapons (the katana on my screenshot is from KA pack), Primal has spears, Nassau and Napoleonic have flintlock weapons and Breaking Point and Exile mod, I´ve seen some WIP, bu tI think only those have seen the light of day

I just tried playing this on my own, but the bandits never came. I wonder if that’s down to the AI mods I’m using (LAMBS suppression and danger).

Sometimes they spawn a bit away (one of more groups, last time I´ve played, they were 1 mile away), you gotta await a little as EO said above

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the links. 🙂

5 hours ago, corporal_lib[br] said:

Sometimes they spawn a bit away

Also, primary spawn position will be always a bit farther, than view distance set in parameters. In certain cases of difficult terrain actual safe spawn position may be indeed quite far and time required to reach the town longer - also due to not straight movement path caused by obstacles etc.

I believe, minimal possible spawn distance for view distance of 200m would be 200+300-100-120=280m and maximal for view distance 500: 500+300+100+120=1020m, but such extremes would be rare, usually it is around ((view distance) + 300). 

• Thanks 1

I just ran a test on a dedicated server and the bandits arrived just fine. For now, I’m thinking that the first attempt was just a fluke.

• Like 1

Good, good. 🙂 

BTW experimenting with melee system for both players and AI, no idea, how it will work in MP (SFX, particles for some gore, animations (troublesome) - locality and synchronization...) or if it will be any fun out of it, I think about some rules, like chance to break the guard/hit dependent on attacker's skill confronted with defender's skill, also chances reduced by damage, also defense reduced if attacked by many attackers at once or attacking at the moment etc. Anyway, it is fun to do it by itself. I've done something somewhat similar in A2 times together with @icewindo:

https://youtu.be/ejiZR7XVQX8

but this time it should be rather mod-free except for weaponry and also should work in MP, which is main difficulty, so I'm writing this from a scratch. So, nothing sure, but who knows. 🙂

If results will be positive, this scenario will get special melee mode, most likely using katana sword from a mod. As for Magnificient Seven however decided, it will be better to make it in a form of separate spin off scenario with own logo, music, names etc. 

These are plans, we'll see, what can be done. 

• Like 4

Sounds exciting. good luck! ^^ :rthumb:

Regarding icewindo, it's a real shame he's not around anymore, Arma 3 would have had a much richer tapestry if he was still making content. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EO said:

Regarding icewindo, it's a real shame he's not around anymore, Arma 3 would have had a much richer tapestry if he was still making content. 

Indeed:

• Like 4

Hey Rydygier, I am really enjoying this mission (subscribed and upvoted on steam of course)!   For us lazy guys who want to jump right in to the fight, I have one suggestion:  Default the Samurai AI team mates to be armed, so player doesn't have to order each one to take weapons.  I play solo, and would prefer to rock'n'roll quicker.  Just an idea, no problem if its not important enough for you to implement. 

Thanks again for all your great work.

• Like 5