FR68OB0.jpg

ABOUT

[RATS.ins] jujurat presents Orglandes, a 4km terrain that seeks to provide a playable, atmospheric, and engaging take on French countryside in WW2. Orglandes is a small town that was fought around during the allied assault on the way to Cherbourg. This terrain attempts to recreate Orglandes, and the areas around it in the approximate time period using references from old satellite images from the 1950s, and of course some fictional liberties taken to make the map playable for Arma.

FEATURES

4km terrain that recreates northernish french countryside.
Extensive bocage/foliage detail.
Mostly accurate building placement (authentic as it can get with limited assets).
Rolling hills, farms, and wheat fields.
Footpaths that maneuver around the map and allow the player to explore multiple areas.
Livonia lighting and foliage. (With some configuration edits to work well for this map too!)
Fighting positions and ruins that accurately depict the events that unfolded in the areas around Orglandes.

PLANNED FEATURES

More trenches, defensive positions, etc.
Custom soundscapes.
Further detail on lackluster areas.
Continued support and improvement based on community feedback.

NOTES

While I have released this map publically, it is still under development. Unlike most 'under development' maps on the workshop/release state, this one is very much playable and works fine without any issue. However, there are small (mostly cosmetic) issues that are going to be addressed and fixed with time.

You may experience some trees on roads, roads not being aligned perfectly.. etc, all of which can be solved in your mission file, simply use the hide terrain objects module if you encounter any issues of this nature.

CREDITS

jujurat - Made the terrain.
vuo - Help with some object placement when I ran out of ideas.
scwheineyy - Helped me figure things out when I first started the map on 6/19/20.
mo - """Historical""" advisor and general help.

ADDITIONAL CREDITS
simcardo - Being an inspiration for continuing to provide cool content for Arma.
Ice - BIG HELP in the Arma Community Discord (particularly in the terrain channels).
EO - Skies inspiration.
All of the testers and people who previewed the map and helped find issues with it.
Anyone who helped me in the Arma terrain chat that I'm forgetting.

STATS FOR NERDS
Terrain Size: 4096m
Grid Size: 1024x1024
Cell Size: 4m

TERRAIN IMAGES

Spoiler

w7GpT9G.jpg
4YA3T3V.jpg
0Ou1h9R.jpg
2OVm3nl.jpg
YmY4wEH.jpg

FULL IMGUR ALBUM:
https://imgur.com/a/EzaI6PQ
DOWNLOAD
Current mirror: Steam Workshop.
I don't intend on uploading it to Armaholic, but if someone would like to do so, that's fine. Just use all of the information posted here. 🙂

EDIT:
Armaholic mirror available, however it is not maintained by me. Armaholic version may not always be up to do with newest versions.
https://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=36273

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

Looks beautiful! makes me wish me and my group didn't just finish our WW2-campaign, would have loved to done some missions on this map. Next time!

9 minutes ago, mcnools said:

Looks beautiful! makes me wish me and my group didn't just finish our WW2-campaign, would have loved to done some missions on this map. Next time!

Thanks! It'll be around and hopefully improved by the time you guys play again!

• Like 1

UPDATE:
Some minor detail updates to Orglandes and the areas around it.
At the request of some users, I've also added several ditches and slight variations to the terrain.
A small pond was added to the southwest of the map.
Some minor road fixes are also corrected in Orglandes.

More likely soon.

Currently in-progress:
Some fixes and touch-ups to the satmap, and mask.
Additional terrain work for ditches and hills, etc.

• Like 4

unknown.png
Working on a complete rebuild from the ground up.
Terrain size boosted from 4km to 5km, cell size lowered from 4 to 2.5. New foliage, bocage design, buildings, lighting, etc. Coming.. soonish (tm).

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Beautiful looking map jujurat !! ...love the bocage. 👍

On 8/30/2021 at 5:50 AM, Dogone said:

Beautiful looking map jujurat !! ...love the bocage. 👍

Thanks, I appreciate that
unknown.png
Here's some rough test footage also.

• Like 8

What a wonderful work! Keep going!

• Like 1

This is fantastic! I can see continuous progress in your work. I wish you, above all, further perseverance and inspiration.

Wish you could implement the "old" lighting to this map would make the looks of the map even better.

On 10/3/2021 at 3:13 PM, nikiforos said:

Wish you could implement the "old" lighting to this map would make the looks of the map even better.

Well, I basically made a custom lighting config for it and setup the old skyboxes from A2, however, the main difference between Visual Upgrade lighting and Pre-Visual Upgrade is really the tone mapping. Old lighting mostly uses Reinhard lighting and etc. It's something I played around with, but I'd have to go back in and adjust the lighting config to look correct with that tonemapping method, and that's just something I didn't feel like spending time doing. I feel like what I did with the overcast lighting and etc, along with the help with Cre8or was enough for me to be satisfied with. Maybe in the future I could do an additional addon that overwrites the lighting values/tone mapping as an optional thing, but it'd be on the backburner. As far as total VINTAGE Arma 2 lighting, it's not really technically feasible with the way the engine is setup now, and that's something me and Cre8or talked about (he had all of the information on it, well, a good amount anyways)

• Like 2

based on the screenshots, you've got overcast lighting looking good in arma for once, so I wouldn't change a thing lol. I used to be nostalgic for the old arma 2 style lighting, but it really didn't age well, everything looks dull and hazy.

3 hours ago, wsxcgy said:

based on the screenshots, you've got overcast lighting looking good in arma for once, so I wouldn't change a thing lol. I used to be nostalgic for the old arma 2 style lighting, but it really didn't age well, everything looks dull and hazy.

I've kinda went for a best of both worlds in that regard. Dull and hazy is good for temperate European weather in the summer/fall. The main issue with overcast lighting in Arma 3, as far as I can tell, is that the sun is basically flicked off at 50% overcast. What I mean by that is the sun or global lighting no longer casts shadows, and most of the lighting is ambient or w/e (I can't remember the exact names for the different lighting configuration parameters, so someone can correct me). Either way, even in total overcast, objects should always at least cast some sort of shadow, and the engine doesn't very well do that at all without the sun giving some help. That doesn't mean you can see the sun at 100% overcast or anything, but it's just some lighting config jargon. 

• Like 2

unknown.png
felt like making a cursed freya radar, not sure where i'll put it yet.

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Dogone said:

Looking really nice, I like the radar Jujurat :thumbsup:

Thanks.
unknown.png
Converted structure to multi-mat for higher fidelity and updated some road stuff because bludclot inspires me

• Like 3