hitman1987

SOLVED: ".paa Transparency Trouble"

unknown.png
Here we have an example of the (looks)transperent texture. It has two sides: one will obscure some objects behind (famous car glass bug, fine for periscopes making with the alpha order), another will not to obscure the objects behind (good for an actual glass, probably will fix some bugged texture corners: half-trasperent edge that obscures the objects behind). The way of to implement is to add an underlay with that specified zones then to merge with the main texture. Maybe there's some others.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/304619099772944395/735115722258382898/AE.tga

Decades passed, yeah. That's in RGB layer btw - just an absence of any colour i think.

On 7/21/2020 at 2:54 PM, hitman1987 said:

The way of to implement is to add an underlay with that specified zones then to merge with the main texture.

Since this topic interests me greatly, could you elaborate a bit on that? I wasn't able to "specify zones" of alpha channel in a way they are present in your Targa file, and copying layers from mine textures onto yours resulted only in loss of colours.

Same thing tbh, i was used the copied area only. Try to scale that example up some. That difference lays in RGB area, not the alpha layer. Maybe that's not "solved" but rather the clue of what affects the stuff.

Also i noticed that ObjBuilder is showing alpha order wheres Buldoser isn't. Something wrong with that.
Another texture "zone" was made  by deleting the area. It gives same look as the alpha zones, but with some different properties. Maybe the engine counts that as "there's some colours - i has to render that one" which causes the obscuring bugs. Also i was refining M14NM ARTI optics, deleted some blured edges of the crosshairs. That causes them to be gray, as that transition in between "normal" and "deleted" zone becomes blurred. Tried to make some "shiny" elements with that to get the halo effect, not sure does it works. I am using Paint.Net, there's no alpha layer available to edit actually.

Besides, i was searching for mipmap editor. Found one for Arma2 i believe, but couldn't make it work.

I think you don't understand me. I don't have problem with image size, rather with creating (to put it in simplest terms) RGB channels that contain something, yet are still transparent.

To be specific, I'm having issue with BIS texture o.pbo/misc/pletivo_rez.paa. At the moment I managed to make two identical for eye versions, which have different RGB channel values. That's how it looks:
UA00WdA.png

As you can see, the two textures have contrasting RGB channels, even though they look the same to the eye. Unfortunately, in game there's no difference - texture still makes some objects behind it disappear, no matter what variant is used (original has even different RGB channels).

Now it's time to combine that with paatool with "no alpha filtering" box checked and not...

Try to make a custom object with that, an addon that would contain that object and something behind. Replace that pletivo with some other texture that supposed to work fine, just to check if the model itself is fine.

19 hours ago, hitman1987 said:

paatool with "no alpha filtering" box checked

I did that yesterday already, but no dice :(

As for the model, it's BIS one, so I'd prefer not debinarising it for obvious reasons. But I'm also pretty sure that messing with alpha sorting on the model itself, won't really change it's problems with other models in game enviroment. That's my previous experience, and well - if it was THAT simple, we wouldn't have the famous car glass bug in first place :D

But I'll try anyway.

Maybe you're right, had fixed some few x-ray edges of the model in this way, so probably that glass issue requires something else.

On 7/24/2020 at 6:36 PM, krzychuzokecia said:

But I'll try anyway.

How's about to use IA 8:8 for glass? DXT1 was helpful. Looks like the way that texture transperency amount detected by the renderer matters... Maybe it's determined by overall transperency trashold, so HEX-editing case. Still trying to find the "natural" way. Never faced that bug with the models i am making up, so yet no expirience with fighting flass transperency. Only the x-ray edges was over.