BlackbirdSD

Does "Show/Hide" help FPS?

If you have a mission with a large number of AI and have 2 end points, a left side of the map and right side of the map.  If you choose to go left and "Hide" everyone on the left,  will that help FPS and game performance?

Thanks

Depends on how you ”hide” them. Removing them and adding again when players are near helps a lot (assuming SP or hosted server). DisableAI on them also helps.

• Like 1

Did you try Dynamic Simulation or Modules\Simulation Manager to quick test? Also, if you have large amount of props you can turn them to "Simple Object", or on almost all of them "Dynamic Simulation" can be switched on(if they are not crucial to the mission), so the even collisions will not be count.

• Like 1

Best solution would be, as stated above, to just erase all units and objects on the left if they go to the right or on the right if they go to the left. 

Also so as for the mission not to possibly lag at first you can disable their simulation and then enable it according to which side the player chooses. 

You can save for example whole group with WPs, etc, or static objects as a composition, it will be saved in your documents\Arma 3\compositions

and then using something like this for spawning, or using eden layers to hide/spawn etc.

• Like 1

@FoxtrotF  The Larrow's tool is beyond this purpose, useful for spawning saved compositions in every scenario.

Here you just need to add units/objects into different layers, then treat them by script with getMissionLayerEntities (see example).

I prefer to spawn them where I need them, but using Eden layers is a great way to do it if you have very specific placement requirements.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the info guys.  I have about 600 AI on the map and I tested by hiding them all and didnt notice a frame rate difference.  Not sure why.  My dynamic simulation  is also turned on.

Thanks

So how did you hide them? What is your framerate exactly? And what is your framerate on a totally empty scenario on the same map?

On 7/23/2020 at 1:08 AM, engima said:

So how did you hide them? What is your framerate exactly? And what is your framerate on a totally empty scenario on the same map?

I hid them using show hide, highlighted all of them and right clicked and connected them to show hide.  Frames are about 30 with and without hiding them.  Around 70 on a blank map.

@BlackbirdSD,

Does "Show/Hide" help FPS?

Perhaps in some cases to a certain extent but that is not the intended purpose. Show/Hide is a developer tool for helper objects and other entities. 

I hid them using show hide, highlighted all of them and right clicked and connected them to show hide.  Frames are about 30 with and without hiding them.  Around 70 on a blank map.

Triggers, AI (hidden or otherwise), and active waypoints with measured criteria (essentially a trigger) impact performance more than models being displayed. External scripts also affect performance while running.

Hiding 60 AI on the map will not improve performance-- as you learned.

Spawning needful AI when and where they are needed is the preferred method. There's a whole section devoted to those tools here.

Have fun!