Sign in to follow this  
onlinegamesz

Flickering grass

Hello all,

After a long time I decided to play Arma 3 again, however I have an issue, the grass is constantly flickering when I move. It colors from green or yellow to like a whitish version of it. It is not entirely white but it becomes like a lighter color. Everytime I move it shifts back and forward from the actual color to the whitish version of it, it becomes very annoying and unplayable now. I did not manage to get a screenshot of it because the flickering is just happening too quickly. I read something on the internet about turning off ATOC, I did this and no improvement.

I really hope someone knows a fix because it is really ruining my gaming experience and I am clueless.

My computer specs are:

AMD Ryzen 3800X

MSI Radeon RX 5700XT

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus

16GB of RAM

I have the latest graphic card drivers installed.

Thank you very much in advance.

Welcome back to Arma3 onlinegamesz!

Sorry to read about your issue,

1. Is it all vanilla maps, modded maps, or a map in particular?
  2. Running any mods?
  3. What are you playing when the grass is flickering, are you in the editor, a sp scenario, a hosted scenario, or on a server?
  4. Is it just Arma3 or is it happening in other games as well?
  5. Have you verified the integrity of cache?
  6. Did the grass flicker before the latest gpu update?

On 7/9/2020 at 4:15 PM, Gunter Severloh said:

Welcome back to Arma3 onlinegamesz!

Sorry to read about your issue,

1. Is it all vanilla maps, modded maps, or a map in particular?
  2. Running any mods?
  3. What are you playing when the grass is flickering, are you in the editor, a sp scenario, a hosted scenario, or on a server?
  4. Is it just Arma3 or is it happening in other games as well?
  5. Have you verified the integrity of cache?
  6. Did the grass flicker before the latest gpu update?

Thank you both for your response.

1. It is on all maps, atleast on all vanilla maps.

2. No, I disabled them all and the same problem.

3. I am in a sp scenario or mp server, or editor, it does not matter it happens always strange enough.

4. Just Arma 3.

5. Yes, no new files were downloaded.

6. Yes, I even reverted back to an older version of around 3 months back, still the same problem.

On 7/9/2020 at 8:13 PM, Jackal326 said:

What @Gunter Severloh said, plus could you maybe post a video of the issue?

I will try and see if I can do that, I think the Radeon software has a mode to record.

I'm thinking your GPU might be failing, overheating, or there is something else going on, lets see if we can get some computer experts in here

and see if they can give you a better idea @oldbear @Groove_C

3 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

I'm thinking your GPU might be failing, overheating, or there is something else going on, lets see if we can get some computer experts in here

and see if they can give you a better idea @oldbear @Groove_C

Thank you for your response. My GPU is 2 months old so if it would be failing then I got a big problem and I need to return it. I hope it can be figured out and I would appreciate the help of the 2 people you tagged.

I am running "Heaven Benchmark 4.0" and my GPU is stable at extreme settings at 180 FPS, all visuals are perfect, no weird flickering or noises or something.

As was suggested earlier, if you want any forum advice for a visual bug in A3, a screenshot or even better a video would be helpful. :icon_biggrin:   

• Like 1

Delete everything from this 2 folders and see if that fix your problem

C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Local\Arma 3\AnimDataCache

C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Local\Arma 3\DataCache

Are you by chance use adaptive multisamping in your radeon software? if so, try change it to multisampling

I'm having a very similar issue to the OP with flickering grass. I tried V Sync on and it removed some of the issue but not all. I tested pretty much all graphical settings to no avail, but the one thing that seems to work is by reducing sampling to 88% it has gotten rig of all flickering. I made a video capture to show the flicker and the result of lower sampling but the flicker doesn't show up on the video. My rig is 7700K, RTX 2070 8GB Super Ventus, 16 GB ram on win 10. My monitor is a AOC AGON 1440p at 144Mhz. I haven't got any issues with any other game and even reverted back to an older GPU driver but with the same result in Arma 3. No mods were used BTW on Pilgrimage Altis.