So I have a ww2 mod where fighter planes have 1-2 bombs. Now what i want to make is that for example 5 of them take off in a formation fly over a target i ve selected,switch to bombs drop then and then switch back to guns and engage the enemy aircraft. Also when they are out of ammo they land back at the base get re supplied and all that over again until no plane stands. Idk how to make any of this,so please help.

thanks in advance

sven

Maybe you over esimate Arma’s AI. 🙂

But maybe you could use attachTo to attach the planes to the leader plane. It would look nice, but maybe not for starting and landing. 🙂

• Like 2

it's not the best idea to choose such a complex scenario to create if one has no idea how anything of it could be done...

This is the way to go:

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/229245-scripting-guides-tutorials-compilation-list/

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/183993-scripting-introduction-for-new-scripters/

• Like 3

It is indeed way too complicated. Them taking of and being in formation is nearly impossible. Only way would be to have them in the air with a disable simulation and when the time comes careless mode and the bomb waypoint. There is however high chance the planes will crash into each other. Then after the bomb run you will have to equip them with bullets ammo so as for them to start fighting. Then have a waypoint created for them to land when bullets are out. Then a trigger rearming them. Then a take off waypoint which is full of glitches.  And then the same in a loop.

So in short it will be a masochistic process which will most likely have not good enough results. 

• Like 3

Place waypoints for each plane and do not group them. (parallel trajectories are fine)

keep some slightly different flight altitudes (FlyInHeightASL preferably)

try to place a waypoint "destroy" on an edited object (or script something equivalent). The object can be any side but destroyable.

• Like 3

If you want to force a visual effect of flying in formation, you can try my Fly In Formation script.  You could also script bombs being dropped by these planes (more work of course).  As everyone else said above, your desire for dynamic AI flying in formation, bombing, then engaging with guns would require a lot of scripting work to achieve (ARMA flying AI is not up to it on its own).

• Like 3

Well I so happened to do the flying in formation and bombing in my current campaign WIP. Because AI pilots like to crash and go in the wrong direction when they see enemy targets, I used BIS_fnc_UnitPlay combined with my carpet bombing script.  There is also BIS_fnc_UnitPlayFiring for weapon firing as an option. The only downside is that it is pre-scripted movement, i.e. it's not dynamic in any way, but again considering how unpredictable AI pilots are, this is preferrable LOL.

• Like 1

I made a scripted animation for the intro, with plane(dc-3 with mod, if I remember correctly) flies over Tanoa and chatting with ATC, requesting  permission to land, then it has one engine out, continues to fly and requesting assistance with funny chatting, after some time the second engine is also out, and plane crashing with pilot screaming sos... BUT this Arma, so the path of the plane was prerecorded and played with unitPlay, pilot was spawned at distant island, so no one can see him, and de spawned after the crash, engine out was the particles and smoke manually attached to the engine, oh another version was using "0 fuel in tanks", so the plane start to fall, but this version was so unpredictable...

The point  here is to cheat and trick, and make an illusion that something is happens.

• Like 2

I mute the AI with _unit disableAI "RADIOPROTOCOL" , especially for helo taxi in combat environment.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 11:19 AM, pierremgi said:

I mute the AI with _unit disableAI "RADIOPROTOCOL" , especially for helo taxi in combat environment.

What you don't like them calling out "soldier 300 meters front!" all over the place? Especially when wandering in a town and the "soldier" is just a civvie walking around LOL.  Ok that drives me crazy.