Bitchmaker

Making buildings dark during daytime?

Looking for help making buildings dark during the day.  Ive made a few bunker complexes in Eden and I want to make them dark and creepy.  Despite the fact that Ive walled up any openings to the outside, if it's daytime in the op, the inside of the buildings are bright and sunny as well.  Is there a way to make interiors dark during the day without resorting to skipping time (these buildings are for a custom Ravage game and skipping time will have adverse effects on the scenario)?  Thanks in advance for any input.

You CAN make it look darker with ppEffect commands but the side effect is that EVERYTHING becomes darker, like muzzle flashes and weapon torches. You could board it all up and lock the doors, then place an invisible object at a door with an addAction to tele the player inside, and do a time change to night time at that point. Then when you exit the building just set the time back to what it should be.

• Like 1

If all players in the room, then I think any of the above suggestions are good.  But if you have to have outside bright, but your room very dark then I don't know what to suggest.

If reasonably dark shadow effect is what you are after, you can spawn a large .p3d object that encompasses your building, and it will all be dark shadow within that .p3d object area  (but still daylight outside of it).  To see the effect, on any map at day  time, use this command  in Debug Console.  You will spawn a large rock shape around player and see that is dark within the shape, but light outside of it.

bob = createSimpleObject ["a3\rocks_f\sharpRock_monolith.p3d", [0,0,0]]; 
bob setpos (player modelToWorld [0,1,10]);

See this link for more p3d objects to experiment with.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Harzach said:

Also take a look at setAperture. Here's a topic from a while ago: 

Thanks Harzach.  SetApperture and your color correction script both look very interesting, but do you know of a way to make it work without using the debug console?  I think an area trigger would be ideal, since this is for an MP scenario: when a player teleports to the "bunker", it should be dark, when they exit, it should be whatever time of day it is outside.

2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

If all players in the room, then I think any of the above suggestions are good.  But if you have to have outside bright, but your room very dark then I don't know what to suggest.

If reasonably dark shadow effect is what you are after, you can spawn a large .p3d object that encompasses your building, and it will all be dark shadow within that .p3d object area  (but still daylight outside of it).  To see the effect, on any map at day  time, use this command  in Debug Console.  You will spawn a large rock shape around player and see that is dark within the shape, but light outside of it.

bob = createSimpleObject ["a3\rocks_f\sharpRock_monolith.p3d", [0,0,0]]; 
bob setpos (player modelToWorld [0,1,10]);

See this link for more p3d objects to experiment with.

Thanks, johnnyboy.  I tried your suggestion but unfortunately i didnt see much of a change in the indoor spaces: apparently the shadow effect is the same intensity as indoor light, so it gives the impression that nothing is happening.  Outdoors, the effect is quite visible.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, beno_83au said:

You CAN make it look darker with ppEffect commands but the side effect is that EVERYTHING becomes darker, like muzzle flashes and weapon torches. You could board it all up and lock the doors, then place an invisible object at a door with an addAction to tele the player inside, and do a time change to night time at that point. Then when you exit the building just set the time back to what it should be.

beno_83au, this is for an MP scenario, so I cant really resort to skipping time (it's also a ravage scenario, and ravage has time-related effects such as hunger and thirst, etc, so skipping time will cause all kinds of havoc).  I think any potential solution has to be tied to a trigger/area effect.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bitchmaker said:

do you know of a way to make it work without using the debug console?

A trigger would work fine. Just make sure it (or at least its code) is local to the client(s). Also take heed of Grumpy's note further along in that topic, if you use the setAperture idea. You could use the trigger's onDeactivation to reset it.

If you go the ppEffect route (which I believe is inferior), you'll want to add a handle to it so you can terminate it. So instead of 

0 = ["ColorCorrections" <...etc...>

you'll have

BMKR_itsDarkInHere = ["ColorCorrections" <...etc...>

so you can then 

terminate BMKR_itsDarkInHere;

again making sure to only run only on the relevant client(s).

5 hours ago, Harzach said:

A trigger would work fine. Just make sure it (or at least its code) is local to the client(s). Also take heed of Grumpy's note further along in that topic, if you use the setAperture idea. You could use the trigger's onDeactivation to reset it.

If you go the ppEffect route (which I believe is inferior), you'll want to add a handle to it so you can terminate it. So instead of 

0 = ["ColorCorrections" <...etc...>

you'll have

BMKR_itsDarkInHere = ["ColorCorrections" <...etc...>

so you can then 

terminate BMKR_itsDarkInHere;

again making sure to only run only on the relevant client(s).

Harzach, do you have a suggestion for how to write the OnActivation script?  I tried variations using the examples from the https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setAperture Wiki page, but I cant seem to get it to work.

1 hour ago, Bitchmaker said:

Harzach, do you have a suggestion for how to write the OnActivation script?  I tried variations using the examples from the https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setAperture Wiki page, but I cant seem to get it to work.

You'll want to use a high value, as in my example from the linked topic above. Again, make sure you read the entire thread.

setAperture 5000;

That was the first script I tried at exactly that value.  It had no effect, unfortunately.  Maybe the rest of the trigger is wrong? Size: 100x100. Activation: Any Player. Activation type: present. Condition: this. On Activation: setAperture 5000; On Deactivation: setAperture -1;

Cancel that.  I just tried it again from scratch and it worked.  Not sure where the problem was the first time.  Thanks for the assist!

If you are running on a dedi, make sure the trigger is not set to "server only."

3 minutes ago, Harzach said:

If you are running on a dedi, make sure the trigger is not set to "server only."

Roger.  Thanks for all your help, Harzach, in this thread and in others.  You're a huge help and it is really appreciated.