bi_mg

simpler way to orientation vector of objects in 3d space?

Hi Guys,

i'm searching for a simpler way to rotate objects in 3d Space (yaw, roll, pitch). I never try the tranformation and rotation matrix to solve my problem.

My Work:

I started to work on worldToModel that takes an "Object Model Box 3D Space (named _ModelOrign) as a Parameter and puts "3D World Coordinades" (named _position) of another Object in this model space.

private _modelOrign = _this select 0;
private _objectOrign = _this select 1;

private _position = _modelOrign worldToModel getPosWorld _objectOrign;

So I can easily take the saved _position and apply to a targeting Object (named _modelTarget) that is differend rotating in 3D as the Object _modelOrign. Then I just execute the finction modelToWorld and voila the _position is rotating to the rotated _modelTarget in Model Box 3D Space as well. Nice and easy.

privat _objectTarget = _this select 0;
privat _modelTarget = _this select 1;
privat _position = _this select 2;

_objectTarget setPosWorld ( _modelTarget modelToWorld _position )

Orientation:
to get the orientation of _objectOrign in 3D Space, i used vectorDir and vectorUp of _ modelOrign to get this orientation and apply it to this _objectOrign with the oriantation itsself.

Wiki Source: Euler_angles

Euler2a.gif800px-Euler_angles_(Euler's_paper_E825).png

Problem:

I've have no idea to combine these two orientations vectors of _modelOrign and _objectOrign to get this problem of the orientation solved. I never used the transformation and rotation matrix.

• There sould be an easier way to do this. BIS serve an function BIS_fnc_setPitchBank in the past but I've heard that it is not precisely :/. I've never try it out.
  • I'm sceptic about the documentation of vectorModelToWorld explains that it only use vectorDir and not vectorUp. I never try it.
  • im very sure that there is a modern simpler way to solve this problem by a bunch of Arma 3+ vector functions for example addTorque but I do not understand the explanation at all, i'm not english.

thank you

Edited by bi_mg
add Images, add tags, change code function

could you describe more detailed what you are trying to archive, please? You described what you tried already but I didn't understand what your goal is...

if this is the only thing:

21 hours ago, bi_mg said:

i'm searching for a simpler way to rotate objects in 3d Space (yaw, roll, pitch).

then it's easy to do with this article:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/setVectorDirAndUp

the function fnc_SetPitchBankYaw described in ffur2007slx2_5's comment shows you how to get vector dir and up by rotation angles...

Hi @sarogahtyp,

firstofall thank u for your rapid response. I apologize for my problem explanation.

I do know setVectorDirAndUp. I just work with it an vectorDir and vectorUp - it a pity that getVectorDirAndUp dosn't exists by now.

I explane my problem with angles.

Exaple with angular degree:
I grab the rotation of anchor Object (90° yaw, 180° roll, 135° pitch). In Model space of the Object is the rotation (0° yaw, 0° roll, 0° pitch) we know. The rotation of around Object is (270° yaw, 90° roll, 0° pitch) for example. When I grab the around object relaing to the anchor object i must know the routation of the anchor object to get the right rotation of the around object. for exampl

// in world space
anchor Object = (90° yaw, 180° roll, 135° pitch);
around Object = (270° yaw, 90° roll, 0° pitch);

// transformet in model space of anchor object
anchor Object = (0° yaw, 0° roll, 0° pitch);
around Object = (270° -90° = 180° yaw, 90° -180° = 270° roll, 0° -135° = 225° pitch);

it's easy when the pitch and roll is 0° angular degree of both objects. Then I can easily take the function:

// orign
_anchorObjectDir = getDir _anchorObject;
_aroundObjectDir = getDir _aroundObject;

// transform
_anchorModelDir = 0;
_aroundModelDir = _aroundObjectDir -_anchorObjectDir;

// apply
_anchorObject setDir _anchorModelDir;
_aroundObject setDir _aroundModelDir;

Nice and easy for yaw rotation. But we have two other angles as I said. I really hope, my Problem with vector rotation, can be understand better.

Edited by bi_mg
text add

I read it 12 times I guess, but idk what you want to do. could you explain it more practically like "I want to get a lift rotate around a ball" or something like that?

also I don't understand:

28 minutes ago, bi_mg said:

I just work with it an vectorDir and vectorUp - it a pity that getVectorDirAndUp dosn't exists by now.

its the same meaning ... [vectorDir, vectorUp] is the same as getVectorDirAndUp would deliver...

Hi @johnnyboy,

I mentioned BIS_fnc_setPitchBank in the beginning of my thread (I've fottogen to mention the BIS_fnc_setObjectRotation, sry). You definitely got what I am searching for and the function you mentioned is the right goal - but old. Then function BIS_fnc_setPitchBank itself was written with the outcome of Arma 2 1.0 if I informed correctly. BIS_fnc_setPitchBank must be preprocessed, compiled and called (Arma 3 had already integrated in the core). these to function worked with euler angles more or less. I'm quiet sure that there is a better modern way for function in form of commands like setDir, getDir. You know what I mean :).

@sarogahtyp,
I apologize twice mein explanation. But I realy can't serve what I explaned before. Sry :(.

12 minutes ago, bi_mg said:

Hi @johnnyboy,

I mentioned BIS_fnc_setPitchBank in the beginning of my thread (I've fottogen to mention the BIS_fnc_setObjectRotation, sry). You definitely got what I am searching for and the function you mentioned is the right goal - but old. Then function BIS_fnc_setPitchBank itself was written with the outcome of Arma 2 1.0 if I informed correctly. BIS_fnc_setPitchBank must be preprocessed, compiled and called (Arma 3 had already integrated in the core). these to function worked with euler angles more or less. I'm quiet sure that there is a better modern way for function in form of commands like setDir, getDir. You know what I mean :).

Oh, I missed that.  Thanks for mentioning BIS_fnc_setObjectRotation, as I did not know about that command.  That would have made my life much easier in the many times I've struggled with setVectorDirAndUP!   😀

• Like 2

Hey guys @sarogahtyp, @johnnyboy,

I think I've found what I was searching for: vectorWorldToModel and vectorModelToWorld. The command converts a world vector in format [yaw,pitch,roll] of an object in model space of an other object. rtealy cool.

all in all thanks guys for questioning that brings me forward to researching in an other way 🙂